+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any tips for changing cloth nappies?

Hi,

I have started using GroVia MCNs and love them. Basically I feel nappy changes could go a little smoother and would like any advice on how to accomplish this.

First, let me go thru a typical nappy change, then outline my problem areas.
    1. Get DD on change table, have clean nappy ready to change
    2. Remove dirty nappy and liner
    3. Clean DD with wipes
    4. Put on new nappy, and dress DD
    5. Put DD in cot to clean up
    6. Put dirty nappy into bucket in laundry, flush liner, discard wipes into bin in kitchen, clean hands, get DD out of cot.

My problem is the final step. I just feel I'm going in all sorts of directions cleaning up. I don't keep a bin in DD room because I feel it's not sanitary, yet at the same time when I do wipe DD down, I have nowhere to put used wipes except on the change table (sometimes DD has a blowout so wipes are not very nice). This is also a problem when we are out and about, I just feel awkward at change time.

Please if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I put the wipes inside the dirty nappy as I wipe so all contained then put nappy aside to take to toilet and put in nappy bucket in laundry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used cloth wipes and liners. All washable, no need to go to bin.
    I kept the nappy bucket in the bathroom, so after putting poo in loo the whole lot would go straight in the bucket. Wash hands. Easy peasy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (25-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Get some nice big cloth wipes of flannels (something like bamboo or cotton terry is good for cleaning up poo as it has a bit of grip). U might be surprised how little u need for one change, where u would normally use a whole bunch of disposable wipes. With a spray or foam bottle (I prefer foam) at the change table it is easy to wet the wipes.

The other thing u could do is have a roll of toilet paper at the change table to get as much poo as u can (which u can roll up in the nappy and just tip straight into the toilet), then use a cloth or disposable wipe to get the rest all nice and clean.

Sometimes when I dont have time to spray a poopy nappy off straight away, I have a spare nappy bucket with lid that I just pop it into so I can come back to it later. That way it's not sitting in with all the other nappies stinking everything out.

Also, if I know a nappy is really poopy I will often change it on the bathroom floor (where the toilet is), on either a spare padded changemat or just an old towel as they get older. Then I can put the poo straight where it's meant to be in the toilet. U could just put bub in a bouncinette or something outside the door (in view) while u clean up.

Just some ideas! U will find a system that works for u eventually, don't worry =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my toilets is next to my laundry so i would put the wipe inside the nappy, take nappy down to laundry/toilet, put liner/wipe in nappy sack in laundry, flush poop in toilet next door, quickly rinse nappy, throw in bin, wash hands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    use cloth wipes, chuck them with cloth nappy into wet bag which is in a pedal bin next to cot (which is also the change table)

liners... we also use them and, if I can't be bothered to flush them right away, they go into another smaller bin next to the cot that we use for disposables which we use at night. (Any recommendations for a night nappy for heavy wetters are welcomed!)

So all that's left to do is wash hands which I only do after a really pooey one.

Keep at it, try different things, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to smooth out your routine in the end!