+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Day 17 - The Art of Balance

Balance. I'm not talking about keeping yourself upright (although figuratively I guess I am), I'm talking about managing everybodies needs, including my own.

My DD is 3 (in 2 sleeps), she is a bit of a late night baby and doesn't really sleep during the day anymore. She is used to my attention being focused mainly on her, and we really are a bit of a double act. But this creates some challenges when it comes to Zumba.

Our house is very small so she is never far away when I am working out, sometimes she joins in, sometimes she tries to sabotage me by putting toys under my feet so I always have to be on my guard.

Anyway, I digress. Yesterday, I planned to Zumba in the early evening and realised that I had forgotten to make cupcakes for daycare today so I ended up making (and remaking) cupcakes, icing, cleaning up mess etc. Suffice to say, the night just got away from me and I didn't get around to Zumba-ing. Fail.

Fast forward to today, at work I was beating myself up for not doing my workout last night. Then when I got home I cooked dinner, Dh sat with DD to eat dinner while I worked out. Not eating with my family - Fail. After she left the table she came over and started pulling my hand to have a tea party with her. Fail. She then went past me into the bathroom, got the potty, brought it out to near me did a wee and poo, then before I realised she picked up the potty and took it into the bathroom and emptied it. A 3 year old, cleaning her own potty (Dh was in the study so he missed this too). Fail. Mummy can you read me a story, "Mummy has to finish her Zumba". Fail.

From all of this I have decided that I have to remember that I am not a bad person for doing Zumba while DD plays, but I also have to remember that I am a mum, that playing with my daughter matters and that if my plans fall over because I am responding to her needs, I can make sure I get on to it the next day. I am changing and improving my life and my families life, and I am absolutely committed to doing so, but that is a marathon, not a sprint.

My workout tonight was Exhilirate. I am getting so much better at it, but I wish that I had the Zumba shoes, I think they would help me with moving because I do find that my shoes grab the floor a bit too much so I don't get as much leg twists as I should do.

Sorry, that was a bit of a sooky laa laa post tonight. I think that I am not looking forward to work tomorrow. I am working all day at the cricket (on my feet, possibly a fair bit of time in the sun) and then have to come home and make and decorate DD's birthday cake (purple dinosaur) and get the house into some sort of fit state to allow people in on Saturday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Two things, firstly you're right, life happens and this is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. Secondly, it must be so hard when your DD wants your attention and you have to deny her that to finish your Zumba but remember that dedicating this time to yourself now means that your daughter will have a better future. She'll have a Mum that can run around after her and sets a fantastic example for her when it comes to diet and exercise. That's why you're doing this because your daughter deserves it and most importantly because you deserve it. Denying your daughter your attention for an hour a day while you exercise (obviously when she's safe from harm) doesn't make you a failure as a Mum, it just means that you're committed to creating a better and healthier life for yourself and your family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I felt a bit the same today hon. DS 18mths slept in late this morning so when I put him to bed for his nap at usual time he wasn't keen on sleeping. But that was the time I had set aside for Zumba. So he cried in his cot on and off for the 20mins I did Rush then I got him up, he watched me have a quick shower then it was into the car and off to Childcare and work for the afternoon. He was safe, he wasn't distressed, just whinging and it was only 20mins but I still felt really mean and selfish. But like GQ said, 20mins apart now could mean years more together in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Day 17 - The Art of Balance

Thanks., intellectually I know all of this but when my little girl is looking at me worth that sweet little face and big brown eyes, I still feel like crap saying no to her.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

It's okay to feel like crap for saying no to her but remember that when you do, you're sending her the message that exercise is an important part of life and these are the foundations that she will grow up with that will help her not fall into the same bad patterns that we did when she grows up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Thanks., intellectually I know all of this but when my little girl is looking at me worth that sweet little face and big brown eyes, I still feel like crap saying no to her.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I totally understand. Having a little one who is very demanding. He is more demanding than the other 5 were. It is hard to keep going when they just want you. Yesterday he started to get super excited when the cool down track came on. I think he recognised that mummy was about to finish. He demands a feed straight after a workout even if he just feed before the workout. I am all hot sweaty but he must have a feed before I can do anything else. Anyhow I am babbling.... My point is your a great mum doing a great job teaching her wonderful skills in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I totally understand. Having a little one who is very demanding. He is more demanding than the other 5 were. It is hard to keep going when they just want you. Yesterday he started to get super excited when the cool down track came on. I think he recognised that mummy was about to finish. He demands a feed straight after a workout even if he just feed before the workout. I am all hot sweaty but he must have a feed before I can do anything else. Anyhow I am babbling.... My point is your a great mum doing a great job teaching her wonderful skills in life.
    Thank you. I think some days I am better equipped to say "no, mummy has to do this now" than others. It has been a big few days for me. Your little man is pretty clever to knowing when he is going to get you back.

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe post-Zumba milk is full of extra endorphins and pizzazz!