+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Studying teaching in Brisbane - advice please!

Plus Griffith university.

Been reading your thread but not sure if I can help. I am a teacher in Brisbane. You are right about the shortage of jobs in public schools, and private. However I will say that if you can secure a position on internships/Pracs in a private independent school and you are really good then you won't have trouble. There is a shortage of great teachers!!!
    I have been told also the grad diploma course is going to be gone soon too.
    If you wanting to apply yes you need to go through qtac. You don't need to worry about an OP for mature age entry with a previous bachelors degree or higher. After the 2013 intake (offers are done by late jan etc) then you could contact qtac and get the course guides. It's a pretty thick book but it will tell you everything you need to know applying for entry for 2014. Possibly you could apply midway through 2013 and avoid qtac??? Contact admissions at the university and they should be able to help you.
    Well that's what I understand happens... But I could be wrong!!! Good luck!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

wktz  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Tamtam that is encouraging!. Have you heard any reasons for why they may be removing the graduate diploma?. Is it to be replaced with something else or will everyone have to do a 4 year course in future?.

I just hope it takes a while for any changes to go through, I'm finally in a position where I am able to study and now I'm getting a bit anxious that it won't work out after all

My kids are at a private independent school and I'm hoping to be able to do at least some of my prac work there. They have a very low staff turnover so a permanent position would be hard to get, but hopefully I could get some experience with relief teaching. I fully expect that if I ever do get a permanent position it will come from who I know and where I have been working rather than applying for an advertised position somewhere!

Ah we'll, I have to get the degree first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

From what I understand they are removing the grad dip course because it wasn't adequately preparing the majority of mature age students for teaching. The standard was dropping perhaps??? Not sure really.

Feel free to pm me if you think I can help!!

Thanks
    Reviews

If you wish to work in a religious based school then id recommend you go to ACU. I did my grad dip there in 2010 and there are only 2 people I know that is not in FT teaching jobs. Me and another girl - both of us with small babies.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

jordansmumma  (10-11-2012),wktz  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam - I did actually wonder how they were going to fit everything that I assume you need to know into a one year course without rushing through it, especially with all the prac work you do. Maybe a 2 year course isn't such a bad idea

Rose&Aurelia - I had a quick look at the courses on qtac and I did see acu on there, ill have to check again where their campuses are. I'm not catholic though, does that matter?. Does their course cover off teaching religious content as well as the standard primary curriculum?

Actually Tamtam, out of curiosity, have you noticed much difference between the qld curriculum and the national curriculum?. Do you teach primary or secondary?

This is all very helpful, thank you to everyone who's replied!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah. There is a HUGE difference between qld curriculum and the national curriculum. My school has adopted the national curriculum this year and its been tough on the kids. Qld has basically been a year behind, especially in maths. But it's a good thing to become all standard, but the transition will be a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought there may have been. Our school has been following the national curriculum for a couple of years I believe, and I keep being told by other parents that my daughter is doing things in prep that their kids were doing in grade one, or even grade two. I don't understand how we could have gotten so far behind!. It's been really full on this year....but I won't get onto my soapbox about the 30th June cutoff here

Now we just need a national assessment system and I won't have to try and get my head around op's and how on earth anyone can justify the school you go to having an impact on your overall marks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rose&aurelia - could you tell me a bit more about the course at acu please?.

Does it differ from other grad diplomas?. Do they include components on teaching religion?. Where is the campus? And lastly does it matter if you are catholic or not?.

TIA for any info you can provide