+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying teaching in Brisbane - advice please!

Hi,

I would like to study teaching in 2014 (next year is not really feasible as im limited with daycare options) and I'm trying to look into what options are available. All of my previous education has been done in Melbourne, so I'm not familiar with QLD uni's or tafes at all.

I have found out a little bit about the graduate diploma in education at QUT but it seems very hard to get into ( I have completed a BA but it was a long time ago and way before GPA's were around so I'm not sure how I'd go getting in). Looks like a great course though.

Does anywhere else offer a graduate diploma like this?

Are there any other options besides doing a 4 year bachelor of education?

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding courses or institutions?

Also I've seen a couple of people mention that they will be qualified to teach ages 0-7. Out of interest which course is this?. I've only seen mention of early primary or primary options. Come to think of it I have no idea what you need to teach kindy- can anyone tell me?. Although at this stage I think I am more interested in primary teaching than kindergarten, but it doesn't hurt to keep options open!!

TIA
    Kirsty

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi wktz
    I was also looking at teaching course then as my day will be in school by then as I also have limited daycare options. I was going to do it next yr but I was put off by a lot of people telling me there are very limited jobs in qld in teaching. Anyway I prob will do it in 2014. Most Brisbane UNis offer the course so look up qtac website for info. Early choldhood is kindy to grade 3 I think and primary is grade 4 to 7. (I think) sorry I'm not much help but def look up the qtac website for info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks jordansmumma.

Really dumb question here - what exactly is qtac and how do they fit into things?. I've seen the name of course but I don't know who they are

I wouldn't have thought changing states would be so confusing, but when you don't go through the school system I think you miss a lot of the obvious (I seem to have anyway!).

Hopefully by the time my kids are in high school someone will have been able to explain the op system to me so that it makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Queensland tertiary admissions centre I think. If you want to study at a tertiary institution in qld you must apply through here. I would recommend that after you have a click around the website you phone them to discuss your entry options. You already have qualifications so it might be little different for you applying as a mature aged student. Then, once you know what you have to do to apply, go to the respective websites of UQ, USQ, QUT.... And look at their degrees and read all about the courses in education and make the right choice for you, then go back to watch and apply to as many as you like. There are fees involved in applying but it's the only way to get into uni in qld

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

wktz  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Go back to QTAC, not watch, is what I meant to say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies - its very different to the way things are done in Victoria. Although its been a long time since I was there so that may have all changed too!.

Jordansmumma - I keep hearing everywhere that there are no jobs in Brisbane too, but I figure if I don't do it now I never will. And at least if i cant get work ill be qualified to help my kids through primary school . I've been in an office job for many years, which was ok and gave me the flexibility I needed when I had my kids, but it wasn't something that I loved. I've been fortunate in a way to have been made redundant so I now have the opportunity to try something I really want to do.

Although the lady at QUT did tell me that the grad diploma may be going to become a 2 year course in 2014, apparently it depends what the govt decides to do . If that's the case I might have to reassess, because I'm assuming it will double the cost of the course and I'm not sure that my redundancy will stretch to me not working for 2 years

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok that is interesting although I doubt the price will double anyway you can apply for hecs or help I think it's called now and always opt to do it part time. I will look into that thanks. Where do you think you will do the course? Are you north or south brissy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    CQU offers a teaching degree program where you can have the option of fast tracking and completing in three years. Not sure if they offer it distance or if they have a campus in Brisbane. Also if you do early childhood through them you are qualified to work birth upwards, this is really just because of the changes to early childhood ed in qld that require qualified teachers for positions in daycare centres and kindys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in north brissy. I'm not sure where I'll go - I haven't got past QUT at the moment because I'm just not familiar with the uni's around here (hence the reason for starting this thread!)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok we'll you've got qut at caboolture, acu at nundah or qut or uq in the city. That's all I can think of off hand but there maybe one I've missed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jordansmumma For This Useful Post:

wktz  (09-11-2012)