+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

The neighbours kids teased jasper and called him a baby because they say him in the pram a few times.

But I don't let 5 year olds dictate to me how to parent.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

CMF  (09-11-2012),Mulva  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post

And without sarcasm- I'm genuinely interested which countries feed till 4-7 yrs?
    I'd be interested in this too. After a quick google I found this data, it only goes up to 2yo though but unless everyone suddenly weans at 2yo I imagine the stats would taper slowly after 2yo. Also some countries data is not there.
    Nepal is the highest on that list, with a 95% bf rate at 20-23 months.

http://www.childinfo.org/breastfeeding_countrydata.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My friend who fed school-aged children fed them before bed at age 5. How on earth would their peers even know? And are you suggesting we stop things that could have children teased such as wearing glasses or having big ears?

My DS is 6 and very lucky to go to a multicultural school. I can't imagine him even blinking an eye at a 4 yo breastfeeding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I agree! I don't think my DS would've even cared less how someone else was fed or what they did at that age, yet alone to tease someone about it. I don't think he even really understood the concept of teasing TBH- but that may just be his nature
    Mine is 6.5 years old and I can't imagine him teasing someone for that. And he's a cheeky little bugger too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I think a lot of concern lies with the fact that teasing and bullying is a real thready when it comes to bf into school years. Unfortunately we may realise that bf is good for the immune system and for added nutrition however 4,5,6,7 years+ kids as a whole don't. They just see a big kid still sucking mummy's boobies and only babies do that (said from the generalised child point of view). So really IMO it is a balancing act as to when the right time to wean is. No one wants a child to be bullied and teased but we also want to give them the best start to life nutrition and immune wise and with kids these days teasing and bullying is starting at younger and younger ages every year. IyKWIM

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    But what school aged child is going to be bf out in public infront of their friends? Most extended bf is done at home before bed/upon waking.

Thanks
    Reviews

...and just a thought. I wonder if the kids of parents who'd say "that's disgusting" would be the children who'd do the teasing.... I mean friends little girl told me it was gross I hadn't shaved my arm pits and had a good 1/2 cm of stubble. She kept on about how gross it was "because mummy said so".

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-11-2012),headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree with most of this, as I was reading some of these posts, thinking funny how its cool to bf so long for comfort, but if it was a bottle ppl would proclaim her the worst mum ever :P

Worst mum ever? No but bottles are PROVEN to cause tooth decay so yes i do think extended bottle feeding is not something that would benefit the child being that it causes tooth decay, formula in a cup or sippee if the child has poor nutrition but the thing is you can get everything in formula from food the antibodies found in breast milk can not be gotten from food

And I feel to comfort feed a four year old is plain wrong, a "comfort" item shouldn't be needed for a four year old, at that age id hope the average 4year old has developed enough not not need comfort items, this is the age a cuddle/chat should replace comfort feeds/items.

So your child / ren don't have a favourite teddy? Or book? Or something they do when they are distresssed , scared etc?

I remeber mine so i was certainly well over 4 , the bear went on all school excursions and hospital stays with me

I feel we all do the best we can with what we have, for our kids.

Yes we do, so why is it anyone's business that a mother is still nursing at 4/5/6 ? Why is it acceptable for others to call that revolting etc and imply that the mother is damaging her child for her own benefit?

But for every benefit of bf an older child, their is psychological study to suggest how that child is being damaged

Please provide links to these supposed studies, i find this VERY hard to believe

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

So if the child is four, they're old enough to use a cup, yes? Why would the mother not express bm and give it to her in a cup, if it's only done for the nutritional value? Would it be acceptable for them to comfort suck on daddys breasts? If it's done for comfort, not nutrition. And yes, I know gentlemen with breasts.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I'd love to read these studies Sparklebug, do you have any handy?
    Ok before I get my head bitten off, what I meant is all these facts and studies ppl are quoting on why breast feeding 4-7yr olds is great don't really mean anything, just like for example self settling if your all for it, you can quote a million studies why it's great, if your against you can quote a million why its harmful.

Just like this topic- it's not the controversial, so there will be research "proving" both sides.

So if your the lady off the documentary i watched a while ago, who went to school and bf her 8yr old through the fence, great, if that's what makes your family happy. But I don't have to agree.

Oh and if your still up for some reading, I believe Freud always concluded his studies with everything being the mothers fault- so he may have something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    One could argue that hugging a child could have the same impact.

One could argue that providing a safe nurturing responsive environment could damage a child's coping skills later in life. But I'm not exactly going to endanger or neglect my children to teach them how to cope in the real world.

I don't think that's a good example that "one could argue" against providing a child comfort.

Oh absolutely. I'm looking at this from an objective point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think if there is teasing among 4 year olds because one is breastfed, there are problems at home. And not the home of the 4 year old who is breastfed
    not necessarily. A bf 4 year old is just as likely to tease other kids over other stuff. Therefore that argument can be argued both ways.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub