+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post

And without sarcasm- I'm genuinely interested which countries feed till 4-7 yrs?
    I too an interested in this. From so many of the pp its proclaimed that its a westernised concept to NOT bf for so long so I am very curious as to which cultures do bf for extended periods and where its the norm to bf.

It would be awesome to go to a place where bfing is acceptable and mothers can bf without shame and fear of ridicule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But for every benefit of bf an older child, their is psychological study to suggest how that child is being damaged.
    I'd love to read these studies Sparklebug, do you have any handy?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    But for every benefit of bf an older child, their is psychological study to suggest how that child is being damaged.
    What does that even mean??

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What does that even mean??
    It means there are always 2 sides to every argument. One could argue for arguments sake that (playing devils advocate here) that on one side it is comforting to the child and making them feel safe and secure yet on the other hand it is psychologically harming the child long term by the teasing he or she may endure and the lack of coping skills he or she may have as a result of constantly being comforted and hidden away from any real challenges that life offers.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I could thank you twice I would! This is exactly why I ended up feeding my yoiungest until she was four. Before her I couldn't have imagined it either, I certainly didn't want to! I wanted my body back. But because of various tragic and different family circumstances nursing her, and continuing to nurse her past my own personal comfort zone became our reality. I did it because she very obviously needed the comfort and connection of nursing past the 24mths I was hoping to wean at. even now at seven she likes to lie her head on my chest for snuggles, I know she would have happily kept feeding past four too - but at that stage I did put my need to wean first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    I nurse my son, he is 2 1/2,
    Nursing hurts a lot actually , he has grazzed or cracked my nipples multiple times, i've had mastitis twice, blockages twice as well,

Nursed through biting and 12 months of pain so bad it took every grain of resistance not to rip him off and run screaming (from 14-24 months when my nipples were so badly damaged every nursing session involved this pain)

I am told multiple times a week i am not 'really ' breast feeding, i am setting him up for bullying and basically what i am doing is terrible and I ONLY do it to keep him a baby.

I really despise this stupid concept that mothers who extended or full term nurse do so.only for their.comfort or.because it is what they want.

If i did want I want I would have weened ds at 16 months when nursing was agony and he was waking hourly over night to nurse,
    It was most DEFINITELY not for 'my' comfort !

Why.do. it then! Because it calms.my son, because at an age where everything around.him is changing and he is trying to deal with his concepts.of how the world works he has something still that calms him,

Because i believe it.benefits MY child and my decisions to date are.based.on what i believe benefits my child NOT me (because i can tell you now 12 months.of agony did not benefit.me, 2 years of severe sleep deprivation did not benefit me)

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    It means there are always 2 sides to every argument. One could argue for arguments sake that (playing devils advocate here) that on one side it is comforting to the child and making them feel safe and secure yet on the other hand it is psychologically harming the child long term by the teasing he or she may endure and the lack of coping skills he or she may have as a result of constantly being comforted and hidden away from any real challenges that life offers.
    Like CMF I'd like to see this 'psychological study'. We could all argue that we're going to damage our children in some way. It's hurtful when mothers throw that line around - whether it be about breastfeeding, formula feeding, or whatever.
    Last edited by Benji; 09-11-2012 at 11:14.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    posted before reading all the replies. ^^^ psychologicalharm breastfeeding provides what any good psychologist will tell you children need - reassurance that the world is safe and they are loved.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meme For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post

One could argue that hugging a child could have the same impact.

One could argue that providing a safe nurturing responsive environment could damage a child's coping skills later in life. But I'm not exactly going to endanger or neglect my children to teach them how to cope in the real world.

I don't think that's a good example that "one could argue" against providing a child comfort.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 09-11-2012 at 11:24.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

meme  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if there is teasing among 4 year olds because one is breastfed, there are problems at home. And not the home of the 4 year old who is breastfed

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (09-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-11-2012),MissRose1  (09-11-2012),Mulva  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

I think a lot of concern lies with the fact that teasing and bullying is a real thready when it comes to bf into school years. Unfortunately we may realise that bf is good for the immune system and for added nutrition however 4,5,6,7 years+ kids as a whole don't. They just see a big kid still sucking mummy's boobies and only babies do that (said from the generalised child point of view). So really IMO it is a balancing act as to when the right time to wean is. No one wants a child to be bullied and teased but we also want to give them the best start to life nutrition and immune wise and with kids these days teasing and bullying is starting at younger and younger ages every year. IyKWIM