+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The other thing people don't seem to get is that women who breastfeed toddlers despite finding it a real challenge don't usually do it because they are gluttons for punishment or total pushovers to their children. Rather, they believe (supported by science and experience), that there are real benefits to the toddler which make it all worth it.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),Boobycino  (09-11-2012),BornToBe  (09-11-2012),headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (09-11-2012),MissRose1  (09-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Personally I don't believe there is any nutritional benefits that can't be met in today's society that one needs to breastfeed THAT long. We certainly have access to clean water and quality food unlike those in 3rd world or those from yesteryear where I believe the nutritional and immune benefits of breastmilk would be needed much more. I wonder if evolution will keep up? (with the milk teeth thing)

I also believe that a child WANTS to breastfeed as much as he wants a teddybear or a security blanket. It's not necessary but the child becomes attached to the comfort they bring rather than it being 'natural' per se. Kids can draw comfort and security from anything, and it's up to the parent to decide to wean them off the object or not.

For my daughter it was a heavy crochet blanket....it was so putrid and gross that it stank, I barely got it away from her to wash it! And when she started preschool I knew it was time to do away with it...it was time for her to move on and for her to gain her independence. Ideally it would have been better if she was younger but I was lazy so I waited till it was absolutely necessary. I couldn't have her going to school with a big crochet blanket! I see breastfeeding into childhood years no different than the crochet blanket.

I also believe that the mother MUST get something out of it or she wouldn't continue doing it.

Having said that if a woman wishes to breastfeed indefinetly or until they see fit to wean them off the 'object' it's her business...just like if a woman wishes to not breastfeed at all...it's her business. Either way...live and let live I say!!!

One last question though, just to get the debate really pumping and for the grey matter really working How would people feel about seeing children between the ages of 4 and 7/8 running around with bottles of formula in their mouths??? Would you think that they were way too old??
    Bottle yes formula no depending on their diet, why? Because entended use of bottles have been proven to cause tooth decay, ultimately however it is not my child so non of my business .

And as for the 'mother must get.something out of it' comment wtf exactly do you think a mother 'gets' out of it?

I got a **** ton of pain & damaged nipples ... yep totally see why i do it for me hey -_-

Actually yes i do get something out of it, i get to comfort my child in a way that IS biologically NORMAL

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Des - I agree with a lot of that. Nobody needs to breast feed at all. Modern foods, formula, clean running water provides all a baby, toddler and young child needs. Nobody at any stage by that logic truly NEEDS to breast feed.

However.

It is nutrinionally beneficial. You can't deny the nutritional content of breast milk. The presence of alternatives doesn't actually change that.

Otherwise I agree it's a comfort. I think that a 4 year old demand feeding during the day (or carting around a manky blanket) may not be ideal - it's not something id do. By about 2 years I felt the manky blanket (aka bfing) was an at home, in his bed, for sleep, type thing. Unless exceptional circumstances.

I know adults who still have their manky blanket/soft toy etc etc etc mine is in a box somewhere and was on my bed until.... Ummmmmmm..... until I moved in with Df haha.

I also had a sippy cup of milk (at home) until I was 7. Don't see the problem in giving children a comforter but again not running around with it (can't run Round with booby in their mouths either.... although they do try haha) just at home etc though not sure it's ALL the different from drinking from a popper, pump bottle or squeezy yoghurt thingo....really...? That's a whole other thing....

And i dont know if this applies i only breast fed until 3 years but benefit to me was the benefit to him. I suppose I don't LOVE playing play dough, watching toy story, getting up at the ****-crack of dawn. But I'll do it because it's what makes him happy. But I did enjoy breast feeding until maybe 2.5.... until I was pregnant. But that's what I got out of it. The comfort to him.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have lost friends over these articles. To see so-called 'friends' of mine say that mothers who feed past 12 months are selfish/sickos/weirdos/doing it for their own benefit really hurt (this was last time with the 4 yo boy). People don't realise how many mothers feed toddlers/children but keep it hidden because of the shaming in our society.

I fed my DS until 2.5 (actually I think it was a bit longer) and my EX friends can think what they like because all that mattered to me was that DS was healthy and we kept up something that was so amazing and so beautiful and benefited his immune system greatly. I have NEVER made a judgement or public facebook notification about formula feeding, to say I was hurt is an understatement. They have been deleted and blocked from FB and my life because I figured they probably don't want to know such 'weirdos' like myself.

The article and picture didn't bother me at all, what does bother me is the vile comments that people spew out about mothers and the sanctity of breastfeeding.
    Last edited by Benji; 09-11-2012 at 08:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    I have to assume that anyone who thinks that a mum breastfeeds a toddler for her one benefit has never breastfed a toddler! It's the most selfless thing I've ever done! My DD started using the potty at 12 months therefore anyone changing nappies on their 1+ year old must be doing it for themselves
    Lol. I agree but my age limit is 18mths

Thanks
    Reviews

Aside from the immunological properties of breast milk - when feeding a toddler you milk actually has MORE antibodies in it than ever before, it's incredibly arrogant to think that in the west our diet and nutrition make extended breastfeeding unnecessary.

Over 70% of western toddlers have a diet deficient in omega fats, for example, one of the best sources of which is breast milk. Adequate omega fat intake in infancy and toddlerhood is essential to set up long term health of the brain, eyes, immune system and more. How many people even know how much their child needs.

Breast milk also contains a host of other minerals and elements that our kids these days, who are experiencing dietary related ailments like obesity, cavities, and preservative overload like never before, very frequently miss out on.

It's true most Australia kids get enough calories and water. But nutrition is far more than that.

The fact is that children breastfed past infancy demonstrate a range of health outcomes that clearly show that breast milk continues to optimise development.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (09-11-2012),headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am 26, have an 18 month old and went out the other night and when i said I was still breast feeding (why I wasn't drinking) was told that it was sick and weird. People are crazy. I couldn't believe it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Bottle yes formula no depending on their diet, why? Because entended use of bottles have been proven to cause tooth decay, ultimately however it is not my child so non of my business .

And as for the 'mother must get.something out of it' comment wtf exactly do you think a mother 'gets' out of it?

I got a **** ton of pain & damaged nipples ... yep totally see why i do it for me hey -_-

Actually yes i do get something out of it, i get to comfort my child in a way that IS biologically NORMAL

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    I would have to say that sometime it is just an easier option for the mother to BF their toddler than deal with the tantrums of not doing it. I BF my son until 20 months purely because he would tantrum badly if he didn't get it and I hated it. He self weaned when I got pregnant thank goodness. I wanted to feed for 12 months but had no idea it wasn't my choice!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipFlop For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Libbyoverton View Post
    I am 26, have an 18 month old and went out the other night and when i said I was still breast feeding (why I wasn't drinking) was told that it was sick and weird. People are crazy. I couldn't believe it!!!
    I'm so sorry. That's disgusting I hope they weren't important people to you. Or that they grow up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Personally I don't believe there is any nutritional benefits that can't be met in today's society that one needs to breastfeed THAT long. We certainly have access to clean water and quality food unlike those in 3rd world or those from yesteryear where I believe the nutritional and immune benefits of breastmilk would be needed much more. I wonder if evolution will keep up? (with the milk teeth thing)

I also believe that a child WANTS to breastfeed as much as he wants a teddybear or a security blanket. It's not necessary but the child becomes attached to the comfort they bring rather than it being 'natural' per se. Kids can draw comfort and security from anything, and it's up to the parent to decide to wean them off the object or not.

For my daughter it was a heavy crochet blanket....it was so putrid and gross that it stank, I barely got it away from her to wash it! And when she started preschool I knew it was time to do away with it...it was time for her to move on and for her to gain her independence. Ideally it would have been better if she was younger but I was lazy so I waited till it was absolutely necessary. I couldn't have her going to school with a big crochet blanket! I see breastfeeding into childhood years no different than the crochet blanket.

I also believe that the mother MUST get something out of it or she wouldn't continue doing it.

Having said that if a woman wishes to breastfeed indefinetly or until they see fit to wean them off the 'object' it's her business...just like if a woman wishes to not breastfeed at all...it's her business. Either way...live and let live I say!!!

One last question though, just to get the debate really pumping and for the grey matter really working How would people feel about seeing children between the ages of 4 and 7/8 running around with bottles of formula in their mouths??? Would you think that they were way too old??
    I agree with most of this, as I was reading some of these posts, thinking funny how its cool to bf so long for comfort, but if it was a bottle ppl would proclaim her the worst mum ever :P

And I feel to comfort feed a four year old is plain wrong, a "comfort" item shouldn't be needed for a four year old, at that age id hope the average 4year old has developed enough not not need comfort items, this is the age a cuddle/chat should replace comfort feeds/items.

I feel we all do the best we can with what we have, for our kids. But for every benefit of bf an older child, their is psychological study to suggest how that child is being damaged.

And without sarcasm- I'm genuinely interested which countries feed till 4-7 yrs?