+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post

If i did want I want I would have weened ds at 16 months when nursing was agony and he was waking hourly over night to nurse,
    It was most DEFINITELY not for 'my' comfort !

Why.do. it then! Because it calms.my son, because at an age where everything around.him is changing and he is trying to deal with his concepts.of how the world works he has something still that calms him,

Because i believe it.benefits MY child and my decisions to date are.based.on what i believe benefits my child NOT me (because i can tell you now 12 months.of agony did not benefit.me, 2 years of severe sleep deprivation did not benefit me)

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    Yes. What I meant.

by comfort I didn't necessarily mean negatively. What I meant was I don't find it totally necessary. But personally I do think it has more to do with the comfort of both mother and child. By 2 they are usually teething and I know dd1 was comforted by me when I bf. Which then led to me feeling comforted that she is being soothed and distracted and able to get some much needed sleep once she feel asleep. I do think it is odd to see a "child" bf. and I know the mother isn't necessarily having an easy time of it from experience. It is definitely a bonding thing. But for me, age 2 is it.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Yes. What I meant.

by comfort I didn't necessarily mean negatively. What I meant was I don't find it totally necessary. But personally I do think it has more to do with the comfort of both mother and child. By 2 they are usually teething and I know dd1 was comforted by me when I bf. Which then led to me feeling comforted that she is being soothed and distracted and able to get some much needed sleep once she feel asleep. I do think it is odd to see a "child" bf. and I know the mother isn't necessarily having an easy time of it from experience. It is definitely a bonding thing. But for me, age 2 is it.

Ah okay yeah I get what you mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Ah okay yeah I get what you mean

Sorry I was trying to do dinner and probably should have broken it up a bit more and added smilies. So I can definitely see how out could have been taken both ways.

Having not been able to bf dd2 for very long at all I have really felt the difference in the bonding experience that I had with dd2 (combination ebm and bf then exclusively formula fed from 8 weeks) as compared to dd1 (bf till 2).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I don't believe there is any nutritional benefits that can't be met in today's society that one needs to breastfeed THAT long. We certainly have access to clean water and quality food unlike those in 3rd world or those from yesteryear where I believe the nutritional and immune benefits of breastmilk would be needed much more. I wonder if evolution will keep up? (with the milk teeth thing)

I also believe that a child WANTS to breastfeed as much as he wants a teddybear or a security blanket. It's not necessary but the child becomes attached to the comfort they bring rather than it being 'natural' per se. Kids can draw comfort and security from anything, and it's up to the parent to decide to wean them off the object or not.

For my daughter it was a heavy crochet blanket....it was so putrid and gross that it stank, I barely got it away from her to wash it! And when she started preschool I knew it was time to do away with it...it was time for her to move on and for her to gain her independence. Ideally it would have been better if she was younger but I was lazy so I waited till it was absolutely necessary. I couldn't have her going to school with a big crochet blanket! I see breastfeeding into childhood years no different than the crochet blanket.

I also believe that the mother MUST get something out of it or she wouldn't continue doing it.

Having said that if a woman wishes to breastfeed indefinetly or until they see fit to wean them off the 'object' it's her business...just like if a woman wishes to not breastfeed at all...it's her business. Either way...live and let live I say!!!

One last question though, just to get the debate really pumping and for the grey matter really working How would people feel about seeing children between the ages of 4 and 7/8 running around with bottles of formula in their mouths??? Would you think that they were way too old??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

PayItForward  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

It's every mothers choice and right to bf their children up to whatever age they choose but it's gross! I wonder how much the mother was paid to provide the interview with the magazine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought WHO recommended BF min 2 years/then as long as mum & child want? (Or is it 4 now?).
    Anyhoo what is with mentioning the mum's age? Was this is That's Life? Sounds like their quality of reporting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was bf until about that age and my mum would have been over 40, i am from a large family. It hasnt done me any damage although i did get teased by family but not in a mean way. I do have memories of wanting to drag my mum home so i could bf lol. It was just for comfort though as there was no milk. Apparently i only stopped when my mum had to go to hospital for an operation. I would say no problem here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to assume that anyone who thinks that a mum breastfeeds a toddler for her one benefit has never breastfed a toddler! It's the most selfless thing I've ever done! My DD started using the potty at 12 months therefore anyone changing nappies on their 1+ year old must be doing it for themselves

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),BornToBe  (09-11-2012),headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scuse typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, I'm feeding one right now and it sucks. Pun intended. Anyway, between the kicks in the guts, grabby hands & demanding toddler-ness of it all... anyone who does this "for themselves" needs to get a hobby.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (09-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)