+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

WHO recommends breastfeeding until 4 and I'm not sure how true it is but I read that humans used to breastfeed until age 7 or 8 until the "milk teeth" starting falling out?

The drinking milk made for other species babies gets me to - baby cows wean at 12 months (food before 1 for fun!) so if 1 year old plus cows don't drink their own milk why on earth are humans supposed to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    I don't think a 4yo needs breastmilk. The child is too old IMO.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)
    this

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    So.... Does a 4yr old NEED cows milk? Or is it too old? Cows milk is actually made for baby cows...not humans.
    I just can't wrap my head around people saying children are too old for breast milk, but it's ok to have milk from another species designed for their babies?
    And yet this.

I'm very much confused by it all. On one hand I agree but on another I disagree. I find it very odd that someone would bf a 4 year old. I find it to be as much a comfort for the mother as the child. I'm saying more to the not necessary side. Coming from one who is lactose intolerant and doesn't care either way for dairy but also bf dd1 till she was 2.

So very much on the fence.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Well humans in general don't actually need cows milk at all do they? Aren't there much more efficient ways to get any of the health benefits that milk may offer? Parents make the choice to give their children milk just like this woman has made the choice to continue breastfeeding I guess.

I think cookiedough was probably saying that a 4 year old doesn't need breastmilk in a nutritional sense (I could be wrong). And I really don't know enough to comment on that. Does a 4 year old really get nutritional benefit from breasmilk or are the child and mother doing it as more of a bonding/comfort thing? Serious question.
    http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (08-11-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Woohoo I'm down 28%

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    personally i wouldn't breastfeed a kid till it was four, but thats me. I think what you do with your own child (and own body) is entirely up to you. Breastfeed till 5 years old, bottle feed from day one. Mothers can choose what they want to do, they know what is best for their own child.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (09-11-2012),Maybelline  (09-11-2012),WineTime  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    this

And yet this.

I'm very much confused by it all. On one hand I agree but on another I disagree. I find it very odd that someone would bf a 4 year old. I find it to be as much a comfort for the mother as the child. I'm saying more to the not necessary side. Coming from one who is lactose intolerant and doesn't care either way for dairy but also bf dd1 till she was 2.

So very much on the fence.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    I nurse my son, he is 2 1/2,
    Nursing hurts a lot actually , he has grazzed or cracked my nipples multiple times, i've had mastitis twice, blockages twice as well,

Nursed through biting and 12 months of pain so bad it took every grain of resistance not to rip him off and run screaming (from 14-24 months when my nipples were so badly damaged every nursing session involved this pain)

I am told multiple times a week i am not 'really ' breast feeding, i am setting him up for bullying and basically what i am doing is terrible and I ONLY do it to keep him a baby.

I really despise this stupid concept that mothers who extended or full term nurse do so.only for their.comfort or.because it is what they want.

If i did want I want I would have weened ds at 16 months when nursing was agony and he was waking hourly over night to nurse,
    It was most DEFINITELY not for 'my' comfort !

Why.do. it then! Because it calms.my son, because at an age where everything around.him is changing and he is trying to deal with his concepts.of how the world works he has something still that calms him,

Because i believe it.benefits MY child and my decisions to date are.based.on what i believe benefits my child NOT me (because i can tell you now 12 months.of agony did not benefit.me, 2 years of severe sleep deprivation did not benefit me)

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Children biologically lose the ability to breastfeed at around age 6 or 7 when they lose their baby teeth, which in most mammals are known as milk teeth. The palate expands and changes preventing the breast being able to go into the neccessary position to feed.

As for reasons. I don't think many breastfeeding Mums do it for their own needs- although I did read the other that for every year you breastfeed you reduce your risk of breast cancer by 4%- Most people who think there is an ulterior motive haven't breastfed at all or for very long.
    I don't think anyone has suggested an ulterior motive have they? At least I haven't. I don't think asking whether it's for nutritional benefit or bonding really counts as suggesting an ulterior motive.

As I said, it's each to their own on this issue though. Clearly the mother wants the issue discussed, which is a good thing. I now know a little more than I did which is never bad!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Theres a teensy weensie age gap between 4 and 15 though isn't there? Like a decade.

I wouldn't lay with a 15 year old until they fall asleep every night (without some reason like SN/trauma) but I'll lay with my 4 year old every night until he goes to sleep. But just because I won't do this in a decade doesn't mean I should stop doing something beneficial and age appropriate for him now.

I never understand the jump to comparisons between breast feeding a child of X age and breast feeding a child three Times older.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

meme  (09-11-2012),MissRose1  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have heard of kids much older than this bf so not really that shocked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be surprised if I saw a woman breastfeeding a 4yr old in public, simply because I've never seen an older child being breastfed before.

I've heard that it happens, but I don't know anyone IRL who has, and I've never seen it while out and about. So, shocked is the wrong word, but I would be surprised. I think statistically it is unusual (certainly in western cultures), and therefore it kind of makes sense that there's a magazine article about it as it is not the norm for our society.