+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

It's her right to do it, but I think it's gross. Sorry, but you asked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I don't see why anyone should care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think she has awesome staying power. I had to stop when DS was nearly 3 - I'd had a gutfull, well a boobfull actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Actually it is GREAT it is news worthy! Everytime we hear a story about a preschooler or toddler being breastfed, it becomes less shocking and more normal. Everytime we hear an older Mum doing it that has struggled to get pregnant it reassures another Mum going through a similar thing who has doubts. She is really doing every breastfeeding Mum a favour
    I agree it's pretty cool from a few angles!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think a 4yo needs breastmilk. The child is too old IMO.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    I don't think a 4yo needs breastmilk. The child is too old IMO.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)
    So.... Does a 4yr old NEED cows milk? Or is it too old? Cows milk is actually made for baby cows...not humans.
    I just can't wrap my head around people saying children are too old for breast milk, but it's ok to have milk from another species designed for their babies?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (08-11-2012),RobinSparkles  (08-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    So.... Does a 4yr old NEED cows milk? Or is it too old? Cows milk is actually made for baby cows...not humans.
    I just can't wrap my head around people saying children are too old for breast milk, but it's ok to have milk from another species designed for their babies?
    I don't believe the hype around the need for dairy (cows / goats etc) past weening age tbh , if it's true than human evolution stuffed up somewhere because no other creature in existance needs to consume dairy it's entire life span.

I drink dairy because i don't like black coffee lol,
    My mum can't stand dairy and has good bones
    Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

PayItForward  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Well humans in general don't actually need cows milk at all do they? Aren't there much more efficient ways to get any of the health benefits that milk may offer? Parents make the choice to give their children milk just like this woman has made the choice to continue breastfeeding I guess.

I think cookiedough was probably saying that a 4 year old doesn't need breastmilk in a nutritional sense (I could be wrong). And I really don't know enough to comment on that. Does a 4 year old really get nutritional benefit from breasmilk or are the child and mother doing it as more of a bonding/comfort thing? Serious question.

And on that path, if 4 is not too old, when is? 6? 8? If a 15 year old wanted to breastfeed and the mother was capable of producing milk is that still not a big deal?

For my part, it doesn't really bother me. If it's working for her and the kid then it's between them. But it's kind of interesting.

And as I said in my earlier post, this woman has obviously agreed to do an interview for a womens mag, so she mustn't mind the idea of people commenting and speculating on her choices too much.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (09-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (09-11-2012),PayItForward  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    I don't believe the hype around the need for dairy (cows / goats etc) past weening age tbh , if it's true than human evolution stuffed up somewhere because no other creature in existance needs to consume dairy it's entire life span.

I drink dairy because i don't like black coffee lol,
    My mum can't stand dairy and has good bones
    I agree. That's my whole point.
    I love dairy milk. I could never give it up. I really really enjoy it. It may/may not have some nutritional value, that's the great debate!
    So why can't children really really enjoy breast milk and just want it? Especially since we know how beneficial and nutritional it is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

meme  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Well humans in general don't actually need cows milk at all do they? Aren't there much more efficient ways to get any of the health benefits that milk may offer? Parents make the choice to give their children milk just like this woman has made the choice to continue breastfeeding I guess.

I think cookiedough was probably saying that a 4 year old doesn't need breastmilk in a nutritional sense (I could be wrong). And I really don't know enough to comment on that. Does a 4 year old really get nutritional benefit from breasmilk or are the child and mother doing it as more of a bonding/comfort thing? Serious question.

And on that path, if 4 is not too old, when is? 6? 8? If a 15 year old wanted to breastfeed and the mother was capable of producing milk is that still not a big deal?

For my part, it doesn't really bother me. If it's working for her and the kid then it's between them. But it's kind of interesting.

And as I said in my earlier post, this woman has obviously agreed to do an interview for a womens mag, so she mustn't mind the idea of people commenting and speculating on her choices too much.
    I have never met a 15 year old who still has thr suckling ability required for nursing , evolutionarily speaking children usually totally loose that ability around 7-8 years old.