+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    My supply was quiet low when I was pregnant with DS2 but I still fed him (he was 5.5 months when I fell pregnant) once DS2 was born DS1 stopped feeding all together and I was expressing and giving it to him in a cup after 2 weeks he came back to the breast and I continued to feed him until he was a week shy of his 3rd birthday.

Nope I hadn't heard of it! How awesome
    Wow. 2 babies bf. I really don't think I could do that. I started feeling suffocated towards the end there with dd1 and had supply issues with dd2 and with dd2 for some reason even 5 years after bf ceased with dd1 I still got that suffocated feeling with dd2 and to have 2 babies bf-ing. Wow that is dedication. Good on you. Also if bf toddler and baby how do you do that while enabling newborn the full nutrition? Wouldn't the toddler take all the supply ? even assuming toddler fed after NB? Also assuming your body possibly hadn't yet adjusted to the higher demand.

Arguments and biases aside this is really interesting

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Wow. 2 babies bf. I really don't think I could do that. I started feeling suffocated towards the end there with dd1 and had supply issues with dd2 and with dd2 for some reason even 5 years after bf ceased with dd1 I still got that suffocated feeling with dd2 and to have 2 babies bf-ing. Wow that is dedication. Good on you. Also if bf toddler and baby how do you do that while enabling newborn the full nutrition? Wouldn't the toddler take all the supply ? even assuming toddler fed after NB? Also assuming your body possibly hadn't yet adjusted to the higher demand.

The body adjusts,
    The milk goes back to newborn milk after a pregnancy ,
    The milk just isn't tailored to the older child anymore ,
    A lot of tandems swap sides for feeding as it will increase supply normally

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I do know personally two women who feel like BF affected their marriage because they were with the bub all the time and had no time or energy for anyone else. The husband also felt left out/jealous because of this.

Not saying this is the norm or anything but it can happen so this might be what she meant.

ETA: this obviously wouldn't be the case with extended feeding anyway as its tends to be 1-2 short feeds.
    As in bf-ing their baby (under 12mths) affected their marriage? Cos the mums were with the bubs all the time? And this normal behaviour is wrong how?

Where should the mums have been? How can husbands or fathers feel left out?

This upsets me that there are men out there that begrudge their childrens health and who are do selfish!

Raising children is more than how you FEED them. Bf is one part of parenting. If my DH told me I couldn't bf cos he would feel left out of parenting... well quite frankly I'd tell him to do everything else and that he was/is an idiot.

Don't mothers that Ff their babies also do lots of other parenting jobs too? Dont ff mums also stay home to look after their kids? And who are also tied to their kids? Its not only bf mums that do those things.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-11-2012),Deserama  (11-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I honestly couldn't care less. I think breastfeeding children who are school-aged unless there is something seriously wrong with them (or where you live - eg, no access to good nutrient-rich foods) is strange, but a 4-year-old is still very small.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Wow. 2 babies bf. I really don't think I could do that. I started feeling suffocated towards the end there with dd1 and had supply issues with dd2 and with dd2 for some reason even 5 years after bf ceased with dd1 I still got that suffocated feeling with dd2 and to have 2 babies bf-ing. Wow that is dedication. Good on you.
    Thanks It wasnt all sunshine and roses though! I def got that suffocated feeling and I still got it when feeding one baby
    Also if bf toddler and baby how do you do that while enabling newborn the full nutrition?
    As someone else said during pregnancy at some point (it's different for everyone and each pregnancy) your supply reverts back to colostrum (which doesnt get 'used up' your body just makes more) then after bubs is born your milk comes in again but it is tailored to the newborn so the toddler is very lucky to get a double does of colostrum
    Wouldn't the toddler take all the supply ? even assuming toddler fed after NB?
    I fed them in tandem so generally both at the same time one boob each I didn't have a breast allocated to just one of them sort of swapped it around nothing set in stone just flowed with the go. DS2 was a very healthy weight!

Also assuming your body possibly hadn't yet adjusted to the higher demand.
    I last fed DS1 right before going into labour and he didn't come back until 2 weeks post birth I had a huge supply and was feeding both of them and still expressing 1L a day to donate. So lucky I guess to not have supply issues.

Posted in quote

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Haven't read the whole thread.

I think 4 is definitely too old and quite weird. But I won't lose sleep over it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    As in bf-ing their baby (under 12mths) affected their marriage? Cos the mums were with the bubs all the time? And this normal behaviour is wrong how?

Where should the mums have been? How can husbands or fathers feel left out?

This upsets me that there are men out there that begrudge their childrens health and who are do selfish!

Raising children is more than how you FEED them. Bf is one part of parenting. If my DH told me I couldn't bf cos he would feel left out of parenting... well quite frankly I'd tell him to do everything else and that he was/is an idiot.

Don't mothers that Ff their babies also do lots of other parenting jobs too? Dont ff mums also stay home to look after their kids? And who are also tied to their kids? Its not only bf mums that do those things.
    I didn't say I understood as this is not my own personal experience... And I don't think either of the husbands suggested that they shouldn't or couldn't BF. People can't help how they feel though. I don't think anyone was begrudging their kids health. But as we all know having a newborn is a HUGE adjustment for the men as well as the women.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I finally took the time to read the whole article today. I have forgotten her surname but it is obvious she is originally from another culture, I feel for her with all of the criticism of her. Wo knows, it could be a cultural thing.

i saw the photo of her with her totally normal looking 4 year old and her two older boys. They look like a normal, very loving family.

i have heard alllll the arguments before about why we shouldn't breastfeed past X age and it is just a cultural thing. The arguments against it are yawn worthy... Animals don't feed their babies past babyhood...right...and their babies are usually completely independent within a year! They need to learn independence...a 4year old? Really? I had better tell my 6 year old it's time for himto move out then! They will be teased....*oh yawn* they could be teased for anything, the problem with that is kids picking up our attitudes on breastfeeding, not the breastfed child.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-11-2012),Izy  (10-11-2012),meme  (11-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (10-11-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In developing countries around 50% of pregnant women are also continuing to Breastfeed their older child. There has only been one study that I can find, in the 1950s. It demonstrated that the Breastfeeding toddlers get a growth spurt from Breastfeeding after the baby is born. The newborns were on average very slightly lighter than babies not sharing their breast milk. On the whole it seemed to be not an issue for either. There is no evidence that Breastfeeding whilst pregnant is in any way harmful.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Izy  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it sad that breastfeeding one's baby could cause marriage problems.

My suggestion is that it's no the breastfeeding that is the cause, but the marriage already has underlying issues that needed/needs to be addressed and that breastfeeding (and any other lame excuse) is just a scapegoat.