+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't you remember the amazing Kati Kim, who kept her 4 year old alive for nine days by breastfeeding her when they were trapped in the snow? Both of her children probably would have died if she hadn't been lactating.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story?id=2701717&page=1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

To each their own i say.

My incredibly independent boy still bf's at night and he's 3 next month. He goes without when he's without me, but it's part of his wind down. I also consider it almost like giving him multivitamins, although the benefit of bm over a multivitamin is that it's easily absorbed, has no chemicals, helps clear his noise and nasal passage, and is free.

If someone wants to tell me we're gross, that's fine. I don't need the whole world to agree with me. Different opinions are a chance to learn...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    To each their own i say.

My incredibly independent boy still bf's at night and he's 3 next month. He goes without when he's without me, but it's part of his wind down. I also consider it almost like giving him multivitamins, although the benefit of bm over a multivitamin is that it's easily absorbed, has no chemicals, helps clear his noise and nasal passage, and is free.

If someone wants to tell me we're gross, that's fine. I don't need the whole world to agree with me. Different opinions are a chance to learn...

I think your amazing and if anything I'm jealous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    To each their own i say.

I like that analogy of a multivitamin bf. How many parents stress about their childrens health and give them mv?

And I don't get how a bf in toddlerhood affects or causes marital discord ?

Can you pls explain Vic park?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It could be any number of conscious or subconscious reasons:
    - the mother can't let go
    - the mother has issues and feels the need to control the one situation she can
    - mother is a perfectionist, is on the attachment parenting bandwagon and sees giving up breastfeeding as failing
    - the mother finds it relaxing
    - it is an easy short term way to shut a kid up
    - marital problems and the mother uses it as a way to keep a distance between the hubby
    This list is odd-

I understand that some mothers adore bf (me included) but you can't bf a kid that doesn't want it!!!

How can you control a bf with a toddler? Where are the control issues?

Yes I understand the failing comment. I still believe I failed my dd1 by weaning at 19mths.

Yes it's relaxing way to put babies/toddlers to bed. And the hormones are good too.

It's a LONG term way to comfort a child. Teething definitely lasts til 2/3yo.

But I don't get the marital probs and keeping hubby away? How does bf do that?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I pose another genuine question. Its an interesting thread that has got me thinking. For those that bf an extended time, if you discovered you only produced half a teaspoon or a really negligible amount of milk, would you continue to do extended bf?
    My supply was quiet low when I was pregnant with DS2 but I still fed him (he was 5.5 months when I fell pregnant) once DS2 was born DS1 stopped feeding all together and I was expressing and giving it to him in a cup after 2 weeks he came back to the breast and I continued to feed him until he was a week shy of his 3rd birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Don't you remember the amazing Kati Kim, who kept her 4 year old alive for nine days by breastfeeding her when they were trapped in the snow? Both of her children probably would have died if she hadn't been lactating.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/t/story?id=2701717&page=1
    Nope I hadn't heard of it! How awesome

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    And I don't get how a bf in toddlerhood affects or causes marital discord ?
    Am wondering the same thing???

Thanks
    Reviews

I do know personally two women who feel like BF affected their marriage because they were with the bub all the time and had no time or energy for anyone else. The husband also felt left out/jealous because of this.

Not saying this is the norm or anything but it can happen so this might be what she meant.

ETA: this obviously wouldn't be the case with extended feeding anyway as its tends to be 1-2 short feeds.
    Last edited by kw123; 10-11-2012 at 12:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Oh my giddy aunt. That just made me laugh so hard
    Nearly all those statements can be used for forced weaning or formula feeding!

- Mother can't let go of the idea that breasts are for sex
    - the mother has issues and feels the need to control the one situation she can (because how one controls allowing a child to wean from breastfeeding naturally I dunno!)
    - mother is a perfectionist and on the controlled crying bandwagon
    - the mother finds is easier to allow others to feed the child
    - it is an easy short term way to shut a kid up

I don't even know what to think about the marital problems thing. Breastfeeding certainly doesn't keep my DH at any distance

Incidently- I don't actually think these things but are using them as an example...
    I'm a ff'er not by choice, but I agree all these arguments could be extended to formula

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    ETA: this obviously wouldn't be the case with extended feeding anyway as its tends to be 1-2 short feeds.
    Exactly