+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Headoverfeet - What's the standard of living like in Kenya?
    Google it babe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm... From the above figures on the nutritional content of breast milk you can see how it would still provide a complete food source for those in the third world. a western child consuming a large amount should probably have it as a replacement for a meal. That is a huge amount of energy and fat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

To the pp saying just express- when I express I'm lucky to get 20ml. I know and know of many people who breastfed but couldn't express.

To those saying its gross etc to bf a toddler- there is no evidence that I'm aware of to say this is a harmful practice, and plenty to say its beneficial.
    The problem with extended breastfeeding is YOUR attitude towards it, not theirs.
    Agree with all of this. I expressed for just over 2 months with DS and it was REALLY hard work. I had plenty of milk, I could fill a 250ml bottle in one sitting within 2 weeks of going home. But it's double the time. You have the pumping, which is pretty much constant for a hungry newborn. Then you have to feed with a bottle, which for ff's know when they are little with a slow flow teat it takes around 30 mins. For about 9 weeks my whole life was pumping and feeding. My DD was missing out. DS now had severe reflux. I just couldn't continue. I think some bfers make the alternatives sound so easy, and a cop out, when they are neither.

As to extended bfing I also agree. It says more about you ( a general you) than the woman with a 3 yo at her breast. Meh I could care less. I actually find it rather sweet and I get all warm inside seeing bfing, be it a newborn or a toddler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

meme  (11-11-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not reading 15 pages. Just replying to OP.

I work with kids, some of which are 4yrs old. Frankly, I cannot imagine any of them breastfeeding. If a mother turned up (regardless of her age) and sat in the staff room and breastfed her 4yr old it would gross me out a bit....sorry, but it would. I see these kids as old enough to be considered ready to enter the school system...for me that would be a sign to cut the cord!
    Each to their own and if you and your child are happy to breastfeed into their teen years then hey, go for it, just dont expect everyone to be comfortable with it.
    Last edited by London; 09-11-2012 at 23:59.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (10-11-2012),GlitterFarts  (10-11-2012),sparklebug  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    This reads as a manifesto of your issues. Do you feel disconnected, imperfect and stressed as a parent?
    To me it didn't read like that at all, to me it read like an opinion as any other post on the thread.

Why when the subject is bf we (mothers) need to tear into each other? This always baffles me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DesperatelySeekingSleep ~ you ask about how do you decide when to finish expressing? (system wouldn't let me quote your post)

I've just finished expressing over a month ago. Bub is now 16mo. He was prem, and nursed at birth but I expressed so he could be fed by nurses overnight in my absence. My supply dwindled after a month, the day he came out of hospital, and he was supplemented (unfortunately, but you do what you have to) with formula from then on. But I expressed as I wanted him to have BM as well, not just formula. From 4mo he wouldn't nurse any more due to reflux and the bottle being an easier gig for him. I kept expressing, though, about 150mls a day on average, though it was only 10pc of his daily intake by 15mo (abt 80mls a day). I probably wasn't putting in the time and effort I could have, and wasn't getting much milk any more.

Reading this thread REALLY makes me want to start pumping again ~ I just checked. Got Milk? Sure, I still do! And proud of it.

Strangely, although some women in this thread received nasty comments for bf during toddlerhood, I received only good words from people who knew I still pumped. Kind of shows you peoples attitudes, I suppose.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 10-11-2012 at 00:32. Reason: Crap spelling at 1.30am...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    and once a child reaches 3 or 4 so does a potato.

And an apple. And a Vegemite sandwich. I can't gather how a few squirts every now and then is value adding nutritionally.
    bahaha. couldn't help but giggle over this VicPark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    DesperatelySeekingSleep ~ you ask about how do you decide when to finish expressing? (system wouldn't let me quote your post)

I've just finished expressing over a month ago. Bub is now 16mo. He was prem, and nursed at birth but I expressed so he could be fed by nurses overnight in my absence. My supply dwindled after a month, the day he came out of hospital, and he was supplemented (unfortunately, but you do what you have to) with formula from then on. But I expressed as I wanted him to have BM as well, not just formula. From 4mo he wouldn't nurse any more due to reflux and the bottle being an easier gig for him. I kept expressing, though, about 150mls a day on average, though it was only 10pc of his daily intake by 15mo (abt 80mls a day). I probably wasn't putting in the time and effort I could have, and wasn't getting much milk any more.

Reading this thread REALLY makes me want to start pumping again ~ I just checked. Got Milk? Sure, I still do! And proud of it.

Strangely, although some women in this thread received nasty comments for bf during toddlerhood, I received only good words from people who knew I still pumped. Kind of shows you peoples attitudes, I suppose.
    I know the feeling. dd2 was prem too and had a similar experience in nicu. Except my milk didn't last long at all and I tried so hard to keep it up and get supply up. I'm so disappointed I didn't last longer.
    I pose another genuine question. Its an interesting thread that has got me thinking. For those that bf an extended time, if you discovered you only produced half a teaspoon or a really negligible amount of milk, would you continue to do extended bf? Subsequently those that did not do extended bf.. would you consider extended bf on dr's advice if your child's nutritional needs were inadequate for whatever reason? Eg poverty, defect of some kind causing malabsorption..etc

As a side note I do recall hearing that in the good old days of travelling by ship if food stores were low to non existent and they were a long way off reaching their destination and a bf or lactating woman was on board the sailors would resort to the breast milk as a way of keeping themselves from dying of malnutrition therefore getting everyone to their destination. Don't know if its true, but I do remember hearing that story.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not being anywhere close to 50 or breast feeding past 2 years I really can't compare to this woman. I do believe it's an individual thing...I know I would of stayed attached to my mother long after the 18 months of demand feeding she put up with me for! I personally having a four year old couldn't imagine having breastfed him past 2 at the latest, only because he was so independent and that bond wasn't needed through my boobs anymore. I do also look at animals and think...there is a point where it's no longer needed and a baby can survive and thrive on there own without this attachment. I do get annoyed with women who fail to see other points of view because they are so pro breast feeding when I think it should be up to the individual, bottle or breast...mind your own business :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Before ds was born I said feeding past 6 months is gross....he is now 18 months and still going strong. He has never wanted any other comforter which I've tried many times. And for people saying its for the mothers benefit I wish they could have felt what my nipples felt like after faking pregnant again. Sure I get enjoyment out of seeing my son enjoy it but I still would have preferred having my body back between babies!

Do you know what I think is gross? Seeing kids carrying around dirty blankets and toys! But that is because I've not experienced my ds being so attached to something other than breastfeeding and if ds2 decides he wants a blanket or teddy then I'm sure it will become the norm for me.

And yes I like the fact that there is nutritional benefits. Yes toddlers can get all their nutrition from food but it doesn't mean they are going to eat everything to get that nutrition daily. Same reason as why adults take multi vitamins.