+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Given that breastmilk is human milk and 'regular' milk is cows' breastmilk it really should be normal for us to consume human milk. The only thing that makes it weird is that FF has become so normalised thereby 'de-normalising' (is that a word??) breastfeeding and that it comes from our over sexualised boobs. If we had a little tap on our finger we could turn on and pour our child a glass of milk would there be as much fuss?

The only reason this is in the media is the ages. Take the ages out (which are pretty irrelevant anyway) and you have a story "Mother breastfeeds child".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),MissRose1  (09-11-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This is what make me think the 'it's beneficial' argument for bf'ing past 3 is hogwash. How can a sip here or there turn a Child into a super being. It's for the mothers benefit.
    Well I only bf'd my DD until she was 18 months and I can promise you that it was not for my benefit at all. I didn't get anything out of being constantly pawed at, waking multiple times during the night, only being able to wear maternity bras and tops suitable for bf'ing, being on standby at all times, enduring recurring and painful blebs and vasospams, getting the odd bite, not being able to stand DF touch my boobs etc. However my DD got personalised nutrition, boosted immunity and all the other good things bf'ing brings. In this instance I think it's something you have to experience before you can say that it's only for the mother's benefit. Anyway, so what if it is only for her benefit? *shrug* I let my kids watch ABC2 after showers purely for my benefit (I get some peace) but that doesn't make it to the news.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (10-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

By some of the PP logic any bf after colostrum would be for the mothers benefit and relieve many duties/cares of the mother.

Ie - pregnancy weight loss, no washing/sterilizing bottles, already heated at the right temp for bub, reduced risk of breast and uterine cancer etc. Bf saves me from having to ever pack food, panadol and bonjella for my kids.

Hell, I could say I bf my dd2 solely cos I can eat more food. Bring on those freddo frogs!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-11-2012),FrothyFrog  (09-11-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is what make me think the 'it's beneficial' argument for bf'ing past 3 is hogwash. How can a sip here or there turn a Child into a super being. It's for the mothers benefit.
    Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s NUTRITION

Although there has been little research done on children who breastfeed beyond the age of two, the available information indicates that breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues.
    “Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant.”
    – Mandel 2005

In a study of 250 toddlers in western Kenya, breastmilk provided, on average, 32% of the child’s total energy intake. “Breast milk made an important contribution to the fat and vitamin A intakes of toddlers in this community.”
    – Onyango 2002

“Breast milk continues to provide substantial amounts of key nutrients well beyond the first year of life, especially protein, fat, and most vitamins.”
    – Dewey 2001

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    – Dewey 2001

Studies done in rural Bangladesh have shown that breastmilk continues to be an important source of vitamin A in the second and third year of life.
    – Persson 1998

It’s not uncommon for weaning to be recommended for toddlers who are eating few solids. However, this recommendation is not supported by research. Research does indicate that in situations where breastfed toddlers have an increased risk of malnutrition, this appears to be due to inadequate complementary feeding or reverse causality (the mother is more likely to continue breastfeeding a child who is ill or growing poorly). In one study of 250 toddlers in Kenya, solid food intake increased after weaning, but not enough to replace all the fat, vitamin A, and niacin that the child had been getting via breastfeeding (Onyango 2002). According to Sally Kneidel in “Nursing Beyond One Year” (New Beginnings, Vol. 6 No. 4, July-August 1990, pp. 99-103.): Some doctors may feel that nursing will interfere with a child’s appetite for other foods. Yet there has been no documentation that nursing children are more likely than weaned children to refuse supplementary foods. In fact, most researchers in Third World countries, where a malnourished toddler’s appetite may be of critical importance, recommend continued nursing for even the severely malnourished (Briend et al, 1988; Rhode, 1988; Shattock and Stephens, 1975; Whitehead, 1985). Most suggest helping the malnourished older nursing child not by weaning but by supplementing the mother’s diet to improve the nutritional quality of her milk (Ahn and MacLean. 1980; Jelliffe and Jelliffe, 1978) and by offering the child more varied and more palatable foods to improve his or her appetite (Rohde, 1988; Tangermann, 1988; Underwood, 1985).
    References

Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s HEALTH

The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness (AAFP 2008).
    Breastfeeding toddlers between the ages of one and three have been found to have fewer illnesses, illnesses of shorter duration, and lower mortality rates (Mølbak 1994, van den Bogaard 1991, Gulick 1986).

“Antibodies are abundant in human milk throughout lactation” (Nutrition During Lactation 1991; p. 134). In fact, some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Lawrence & Lawrence 2011, Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).

Per the World Health Organization, “a modest increase in breastfeeding rates could prevent up to 10% of all deaths of children under five: Breastfeeding plays an essential and sometimes underestimated role in the treatment and prevention of childhood illness.” [emphasis added]
    References

Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s INTELLECTUAL DEVELOPMENT

Extensive research on the relationship between cognitive achievement (IQ scores, grades in school) and breastfeeding has shown the greatest gains for those children breastfed the longest.
    References

Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s MENTAL and SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

A couple of studies have shown a positive relationship between longer breastfeeding duration and social development.
    – Duazo 2010, Baumgartner 1984

“A shorter duration of breastfeeding may be a predictor of adverse mental health outcomes throughout the developmental trajectory of childhood and early adolescence.”
    – Oddy 2010

According to Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq. in “Extended Breastfeeding and the Law”:
    “Breastfeeding is a warm and loving way to meet the needs of toddlers and young children. It not only perks them up and energizes them; it also soothes the frustrations, bumps and bruises, and daily stresses of early childhood. In addition, nursing past infancy helps little ones make a gradual transition to childhood.“
    Baldwin continues: “Meeting a child’s dependency needs is the key to helping that child achieve independence. And children outgrow these needs according to their own unique timetable.” Children who achieve independence at their own pace are more secure in that independence then children forced into independence prematurely.
    References

Breastfeeding your child past infancy is NORMAL

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child… Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother… There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.” (AAP 2012, AAP 2005)

The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that “As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer.” They also note that “If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned.” (AAFP 2008)

The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine affirms breastfeeding beyond infancy as the biological norm. “The average age at weaning ranges anywhere from six months to five years… Claims that breastfeeding beyond infancy is harmful to mother or infant have absolutely no medical or scientific basis,” says Arthur Eidelman, MD, president of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. “Indeed, the more salient issue is the damage caused by modern practices of premature weaning.” The global organization of physicians further notes that “Human milk contains nutrients, antibodies, and immune-modulating substances that are not present in infant formula or cow’s milk. Longer breastfeeding duration is further associated with reduced maternal risks of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and heart attack.” (ABM 2012)

A US Surgeon General has stated that it is a lucky baby who continues to nurse until age two. (Novello 1990)

The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1993, WHO 2002).

Scientific research by Katherine A. Dettwyler, PhD shows that 2.5 to 7.0 years of nursing is what our children have been designed to expect (Dettwyler 1995).

References [see also position statements supporting breastfeeding]

MOTHERS also benefit from breastfeeding for a longer duration

Extended nursing delays the return of fertility in some women by suppressing ovulation (References).

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer (References). Studies have found a significant inverse association between duration of lactation and breast cancer risk.

Breastfeeding also reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (References), uterine cancer (References), and endometrial cancer (References).

Breastfeeding protects against osteoporosis. During lactation a mother may experience decreases of bone mineral. A nursing mom’s bone mineral density may be reduced in the whole body by 1 to 2 percent while she is still nursing. This is gained back, and bone mineral density may actually increase, when the baby is weaned from the breast. This is not dependent on additional calcium supplementation in the mother’s diet. (References).

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis (References).

Breastfeeding reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease (References).

Breastfeeding has been shown to decrease insulin requirements in diabetic women.
    There is also a decreased risk of Type 2 diabetes mellitus in mothers who do not have a history of gestational diabetes (References).

Breastfeeding moms may lose weight easier (References).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012),CMF  (09-11-2012),FluffyDucks  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    How so for the mothers benefit?

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    It could be any number of conscious or subconscious reasons:
    - the mother can't let go
    - the mother has issues and feels the need to control the one situation she can
    - mother is a perfectionist, is on the attachment parenting bandwagon and sees giving up breastfeeding as failing
    - the mother finds it relaxing
    - it is an easy short term way to shut a kid up
    - marital problems and the mother uses it as a way to keep a distance between the hubby

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s NUTRITION
    and once a child reaches 3 or 4 so does a potato.

And an apple. And a Vegemite sandwich. I can't gather how a few squirts every now and then is value adding nutritionally.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (09-11-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could be any number of conscious or subconscious reasons:
    - the mother can't let go
    - the mother has issues and feels the need to control the one situation she can
    - mother is a perfectionist, is on the attachment parenting bandwagon and sees giving up breastfeeding as failing
    - the mother finds it relaxing
    - it is an easy short term way to shut a kid up
    - marital problems and the mother uses it as a way to keep a distance between the hubby
    This reads as a manifesto of your issues. Do you feel disconnected, imperfect and stressed as a parent?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

meme  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think in Australia, its probably just not the norm to breastfeed past being a toddler but it's probably very common in a lot of other countries. I don't see the big issue.

My SIL was a complete hippy and breastfed my nephew till he was 4.5. Yes it was pretty embarrassing when she would be walking around big W with no bra on with a boob out seeing if my 4 year old nephew wanted a snack. Yes, i think she did it that long because it was more for her than for him and she didn't want to let go of that connection. But at the end of the day, she is his mum and she could feed him for as long as he wanted. Didn't really do him any harm (he's 15 now and as sully as any normal teenage boy). Its really not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Same as when i see little babies in prams with bottles full of bright green or yellow sugary cordial. Not something I would do, but it's not my place to tell mum's what or how to feed their child.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 09-11-2012 at 23:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    and once a child reaches 3 or 4 so does a potato.

And an apple. And a Vegemite sandwich. I can't gather how a few squirts every now and then is value adding nutritionally.
    You amuse me. Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Headoverfeet - What's the standard of living like in Kenya?