+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Sorry but you're anti comfort items only if the child drags them around or only if it happens to be nursing ?

Youre welcome to your opinion i just am trying to work out your point of view

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    No not anti comfort items, I don't recall declaring that I'm anti comfort items. DD's was a dummy and yes I thought it "inappropriate" at four, for my child, if someone still gives their kid a dummy at 4 I'm fine with it, bc i assume everyone knows whats best for their kid. yes I have expectations for my children that may not be the same as yours.
    so as your trying to figure out what my opinion is I'll clarify, if that is what makes someone happy great, I think it's just not right, I'd never do it, although if I see someone in the shops doing it I'm not going to call docs but I'm going to think "gross" that's it, I would not think they are a bad parent, I would just know we parent very different.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bottle yes formula no depending on their diet, why? Because entended use of bottles have been proven to cause tooth decay, ultimately however it is not my child so non of my business .
    What if it was just a bottle of water hanging out of a kid's gob...at say 7/8 and they're taking it to school in their lunch box. As much as you'd respect the mother's choices...you wouldn't think it odd that the child hasn't grown out of the dependency of that bottle?

And as for the 'mother must get.something out of it' comment wtf exactly do you think a mother 'gets' out of it?
    Comfort and/or bonding and/or the satisfaction of knowing that they believe they are giving the best for their kid and/or because they can and/or because they want to shove it up society. Who knows but I believe that nobody does anything voluntarily without there being a payoff.

I got a **** ton of pain & damaged nipples ... yep totally see why i do it for me hey -_-
    Me too and then some...but I gained the knowledge that I could do it, and that I was putting my own comfort aside for the sake of my child...that's what I got out of it. It was so worth it.

Actually yes i do get something out of it, i get to comfort my child in a way that IS biologically NORMAL

See there you go! You proved my point

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I couldn't care less. They aren't my tits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Really? Are you considering just the dietary benefits or also including the immunological? Studies have shown breastmilk changes composition after the first year to be a bigger energy source for the growing child. It has also been shown to benefit children with virus' and atopic health issues- including but not limited to asthma, eczema, urinary tract infection, hand/foot/mouth, upper and lower respiratory tract infection, gastroenteritis, lessened risk of obesity, ear infections, lessened risk of glucose intolerance, hayfever, delayed onset of coeliacs disease, reduced incidence of HiB etc etc
    Who are they studying? I presume they're studying country where this would greatly benefit. Because we all know that there is simply not enough people bf past the age of 2/3 in 1st world countries? And how much would they need to bf to get the FULL benefit that would surpass what they've already gotten from bfing and what they can get from food? Would they need one 5 bf a day? 6? How many. Because from what I know from those who have shared with us their bfing relationship passed the age of 4 - 7/8 they're only bf once, at the most twice a day and for short periods a day. One member even mentioned that she was only sucking for comfort and that there was no milk there. Wonder how often that happens. Who are these people studying??

I believe 100% that these studies would be done in 3rd world countries where feeding past the age of 4 as common...definetly enough subjects for their data! And couple that with the quality of water and hygiene and food etc then hell yes it goes above and beyond any other form of benifit!!!

Unless there is a specific 1st world country where bfing past the age of 4 is the norm with clean water and facilities and hygiene were up to par. That they have done preliminary studies on and could compare the nutritional benefits of good nutrition and clean water to bfing and could tell us how often one would need to bf to get those superior benefits? Has there been a study like this done at all? I'm looking at sweden here that I believe could come close to this...but I can't be sure.

I'm pretty sure that the WHO makes it recommendations based on WORLD health. And since the world is made up of different socio economics, so therefore it would be an recommendation based on all different levels of nutrition/health water cleanliness and availabilities throughout the world.

If there is something else in the western world that can prevent or reduce the incidence of these illness and health issues with little side effect risk, I will take a few bottles please
    Well see there again...begs the question how much? If your kid at 7/8 is only have one small bf a night is this going to REALLY make a substantial impact??

I'm thinking maybe they should put breastmilk in tablet form so that we can ALL have it High concentrate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So at what age do people actually class it as not normal anymore? If it's not 4 then is it 5/6/7/8/9/10? Like what age is it when you see yourself cringing?

Personally I really don't know as I've actually never seen a child bf past the age of 2/3 and I fed mind between 13 and 18 mths each and that's when I decided enough was enough for my family and feel extremely confident that I did the right thing in that (and have certainly seen the health benefits with my kids.)

What age would it be cringe worthy to see a child with a dummy or a security blanket? And when I say cringe worthy it doesn't have to be disgust...just odd or a feeling of it not being something YOU'D do IYKWIM?.

Anyway whatever floats your boat but I have my beliefs and they're right for me and my family and I honestly can't see how much healthier my kids could be considering 3 of them don't even have a doctor!!! LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

A 4 year old bf'ing is cringeworthy IMO..(y'all don't have to agree).

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are plenty of developed countries where breastfeeding to 3 or 4 is the norm; much of the middle east for example.

The milk of women feeding children over 1 year of age has about 50% more fat that that produced for a 3 month old baby and the average two year old breastfeeds about 300ml a day. Sod dieting, breastfeed your toddler instead. In fact recent studies have clearly shown that breastfeeding for substantial periods results in a reduction in BMI for mothers that persists for decades. Every six months of breastfeeding reduced BMI by on average 1% in post menopausal women. This reduction of BMI also reduces heart disease, diabetes and cancer rates. So women who breastfeed longer not only give their babies an advantage, they benefit their families in the long term by staying healthier for longer.

As involution starts, and breastmilk profpduction slows, the composition of milk changes. It becomes much more rich in immune factors, and more like colostrum than mature milk. It's like a final immunisation from mother to child.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Well see there again...begs the question how much? If your kid at 7/8 is only have one small bf a night is this going to REALLY make a substantial impact??
    This is what make me think the 'it's beneficial' argument for bf'ing past 3 is hogwash. How can a sip here or there turn a Child into a super being. It's for the mothers benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This is what make me think the 'it's beneficial' argument for bf'ing past 3 is hogwash. How can a sip here or there turn a Child into a super being. It's for the mothers benefit.
    How so for the mothers benefit?

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How so for the mothers benefit?

Because by three they are pretty clever and able to construct a rational argument as to why you should still be breastfeeding them. And it is really hard to say no to a sobbing child who feels that your refusal to breastfeed is a rejection of them, and that they are losing something really important to them. As a mother, even though breastfeeding is often annoying at that age, it is hard to deny them something so important to them and easy for you. Much like fivevyearvolds with dummies, I guess, only my child was attached to breastfeeding and not a piece of plastic.