+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I fed until 10 months, and really loved it. My son essentially self-weaned at that stage.
    What I want to know from others who feed longer is...did you get a normal return of your period whilst feeding? One of the reasons I planned to fed only until 12 months, was we wanted to try to get pregnant again. My periods did not start until after Oscar weaned.
    I b-fed DS until 2.5 and I got periods around a year??? from memory - I do recall them being much lighter and much less painful when I breastfed compared to when I didn't. When our breastfeeding journey ended I got an IUD pretty quick smart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

13 months for me but 2.5 before we could actually conceive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    9 months for me and I started predictable ovulation at the same time

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Esme breastfed for 3.5 years. I weaned her, with great difficulty after two whole years of 'don't offer, don't refuse', her Breastfeeding through a pregnancy and tandem feeding for 6 months. She still asks to Breastfeed regularly now and hasn't been breastfed since February. But I had had enough. And I got my period back at 5 months, which seemed most unfair.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Tbh I'm struggling with bf, due to low supply. My goal now is three months, then I'll reassess. I'd love to get to 6 months. You ladies that have gone past 12 months- Well done! its not easy! I couldn't bf my first past the first few days due to a tongue tie.

To the pp saying just express- when I express I'm lucky to get 20ml. I know and know of many people who breastfed but couldn't express.

To those saying its gross etc to bf a toddler- there is no evidence that I'm aware of to say this is a harmful practice, and plenty to say its beneficial.
    The problem with extended breastfeeding is YOUR attitude towards it, not theirs.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-11-2012),Boobycino  (09-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Tbh I'm struggling with bf, due to low supply. My goal now is three months, then I'll reassess. I'd love to get to 6 months. You ladies that have gone past 12 months- Well done! its not easy! I couldn't bf my first past the first few days due to a tongue tie.

To the pp saying just express- when I express I'm lucky to get 20ml. I know and know of many people who breastfed but couldn't express.

To those saying its gross etc to bf a toddler- there is no evidence that I'm aware of to say this is a harmful practice, and plenty to say its beneficial.
    The problem with extended breastfeeding is YOUR attitude towards it, not theirs.
    I was almost the same regarding experience. With my first I was lucky to get 30ml when i'd express, and that is with both sides.. with the second he had tongue tie and it just didn't work.

Hopefully this time it's better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I was almost the same regarding experience. With my first I was lucky to get 30ml when i'd express, and that is with both sides.. with the second he had tongue tie and it just didn't work.

Hopefully this time it's better.
    Fx for you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a 4yo, and if I still fed him, it would be a non-issue for the rest of the world as it would just be the occasional feed at home. He has rarely drunk any type of milk for over a year, so I imagine it would just be a feed at night or if he felt insecure.

I can't see any psychological danger as he doesn't view breasts as sexual. They are just something that mummy has that produce milk.

As it turned out, I weaned him at 2 as I was sick of feeding and didn't want to be grabbed by a toddler anymore, and I don't have it in me to feed a 4yo. However, I applaud those who can as I think it's optimal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

A serious genuine question. For those that for whatever reason can't or don't want to physically bf but prefer to express, at what age do you decide enough is enough? I know some people do it this way for various reasons. Personally for dd1 I had over supply and could have exclusively expressed for a year longer if I desired. Whereas with dd2 I had under supply so bf let alone ebm wasn't an option.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I fed until 10 months, and really loved it. My son essentially self-weaned at that stage.
    What I want to know from others who feed longer is...did you get a normal return of your period whilst feeding? One of the reasons I planned to fed only until 12 months, was we wanted to try to get pregnant again. My periods did not start until after Oscar weaned.
    Yep, bleed back at 8 months and pregnant at 18 months - still feeding several times per day.