+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 191
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    No- see that's the thing, I have looked through journals and I haven't so far been able to find a single study on psychological damage due to extended breastfeeding.
    Other controversial topics, yes there's always 2 sides, but this one, so far from my reading, this 'other side' just doesn't exist.
    That's why I asked you (and anyone else), if anyone does have any articles I would find them an interesting read.
    I'm having trouble finding any sources re the 'psychological harm', too. In fact, when I put in 'psychological effects of extended breastfeeding' only positive BF facts came up but none to the contrary.

    I would love a link to any evidence.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012)

  3. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,602
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Jennaisme - a 4 year old is far different to a 13 year old.

    But based on what is considered to be a natural bfing age (few people have provided links on the thread) over 7 years is where it starts to become an "issue".

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked
    3,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    There are actually men who breastfeed- do a google for MilkMen

    As for why not express milk. It would affect supply. When you get past the 1 year mark and the childs needs are lessened so does the supply. A child who is only feeding once a day would mean the mother had a very little supply and what could be expressed would be less than what could be achieved direct from the breast- no pump is as efficient as a human being! To pump enough to put in a glass would generally require significantly more time and effort than giving the boob does. Then there is health risks with pumping such as biological factors being added to the milk.

    But really the question begs to be asked- if it is acceptable to have it from the cup, why is it unacceptable to have it from the breast? Are you seeing this in a sexual nature or something? I think we often forget the biological purpose of the breast is to feed their child. Why should sexual interest get in the way of this? It is no longer considered acceptable to bind feet or multilate female genitalia despite in some cultures it being considered more desirable. Why? Because it affected their primary purpose. I think we often forget the primary purpose of the breast is to feed our children.
    Because if the only use for nipples, biologically speaking, was to breast feed my kids, I would not enjoy it on a sexual level when DF plays with them to turn me on, and they wouldn‘t work that way. It doesn't on my feet, because they're designed for the sole purpose of walking and occasionally picking things up off the floor when I'm being lazy.

    Eta: Yes, Ive heard of milk men. It gives me the giggles when I see the advertisements for them on GumTree to deliver bottles of milk. I'm so immature. Lol.
    Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked
    300
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    No- see that's the thing, I have looked through journals and I haven't so far been able to find a single study on psychological damage due to extended breastfeeding.
    Other controversial topics, yes there's always 2 sides, but this one, so far from my reading, this 'other side' just doesn't exist.
    That's why I asked you (and anyone else), if anyone does have any articles I would find them an interesting read.
    There was one that would be out dated, that I remember from school can't remember who's study it was, about prolonged bf/hovering/too much "affection" from mothers, being emotionally damaging, I don't get out much these days so don't know of recent things :P

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    868
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked
    264
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    So if the child is four, they're old enough to use a cup, yes? Why would the mother not express bm and give it to her in a cup, if it's only done for the nutritional value? Would it be acceptable for them to comfort suck on daddys breasts? If it's done for comfort, not nutrition. And yes, I know gentlemen with breasts.

    Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub
    Because expressing is a painin the **** and doesnt work for a lot of women

    Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (09-11-2012),Gandalf  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

  8. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    868
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked
    264
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Yes my 20mth old has a comfort item, no DD at four did not drag a comfort item around, as was very communicative, and as I said at this age would chat/cuddle to solve these issues.
    Sorry but you're anti comfort items only if the child drags them around or only if it happens to be nursing ?

    Youre welcome to your opinion i just am trying to work out your point of view


    Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

  9. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    But lots of people do find their feet arousing and lots of people don't find breast sucking arousing. The arousal you are referring to is related to the release of oxytocin which is the love hormone used to bind people together, it also is required to breastfeed and give birth. If we only did sexual things to produce oxytocin people would consider giving birth purely a sex act.
    Perhaps we'd better not kiss our children because for a lot of us our mouths are used for *cough* *cough* *throat tickle*

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (09-11-2012),Gandalf  (09-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (09-11-2012),meme  (11-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-11-2012)

  11. #108
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,602
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Perhaps we'd better not kiss our children because for a lot of us our mouths are used for *cough* *cough* *throat tickle*
    Bahaha I was thinking that.... awkward....

    Edit: omg throat tickle 0.0

    *dies* yeah I think my brain has turned to mush its time to maybe wrap up and stop ignoring my housework. Lol. I do hope some people benefited from the discussion.

    Not saying I won't be back and I hope nothing blows up while I'm gone but my phone battery is dead and my washing needs hanging out etc.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 09-11-2012 at 13:00.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (09-11-2012)

  13. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Vic...Bubhubbing!
    Posts
    2,288
    Thanks
    302
    Thanked
    526
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I do hope some people benefited from the discussion.
    Yes I have definitely benefitted from the discussion. DD is 12 months and still BF and we both still enjoy that BF relationship. When I see some of the comments in here I remember the reasons why I dont correct people when they assume I am bottlefeeding DD and not bfing.

    I dont know how long to bf for....I figured as long as she needed....but I feel this undefinable urge to stop because it seems that 12 months is the cue to stop because you can introduce cows milk.

    I am glad I persisted with bf...I know its best for her...but it makes me very sad that people think I am doing this for selfish or sexual reasons.

    This thread has only confirmed that what I am doing is right but I cant tell anyone about it.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

    Bohobaby  (09-11-2012),Gandalf  (09-11-2012)

  15. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,916
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I fed until 10 months, and really loved it. My son essentially self-weaned at that stage.
    What I want to know from others who feed longer is...did you get a normal return of your period whilst feeding? One of the reasons I planned to fed only until 12 months, was we wanted to try to get pregnant again. My periods did not start until after Oscar weaned.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Working woman have to work 64 days more per year to earn the same as a man
    By WorkingClassMum in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 20:08
  2. Anyone studying first year Bachelor Nursing at Logan this year?
    By Mumma2threecherubs in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 14:15
  3. Can anyone give me a ruff amount a first year RN or a first year midwife would make?
    By Mumma2threecherubs in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 08:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Vibe Natural Health
Your natural health care team for fertility, pregnancy, post natal and family health care. Our Naturopaths, Doctors, Osteopaths, Acupuncturists, Psychologists,Nutritionists, Pilates, & Massage specialise in women & children's health and wellbeing.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!