+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    But what school aged child is going to be bf out in public infront of their friends? Most extended bf is done at home before bed/upon waking.
    the bf child may think everyone does it and could bring it up in conversation with other kids at school. A bit like one kid at our school thinking it was ok to tell another kid about drinking daddy's snake like it was a normal thing to do. (This case was dealt with by the way.) And I am not comparing bf to abuse at all. Just the way kids bring up different topics in conversation that they may think occurs in every house hold.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 50 year old woman breastfeeding 4 year old...? what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    I agree with most of this, as I was reading some of these posts, thinking funny how its cool to bf so long for comfort, but if it was a bottle ppl would proclaim her the worst mum ever :P

Worst mum ever? No but bottles are PROVEN to cause tooth decay so yes i do think extended bottle feeding is not something that would benefit the child being that it causes tooth decay, formula in a cup or sippee if the child has poor nutrition but the thing is you can get everything in formula from food the antibodies found in breast milk can not be gotten from food

And I feel to comfort feed a four year old is plain wrong, a "comfort" item shouldn't be needed for a four year old, at that age id hope the average 4year old has developed enough not not need comfort items, this is the age a cuddle/chat should replace comfort feeds/items.

So your child / ren don't have a favourite teddy? Or book? Or something they do when they are distresssed , scared etc?

I remeber mine so i was certainly well over 4 , the bear went on all school excursions and hospital stays with me

I feel we all do the best we can with what we have, for our kids.

Yes we do, so why is it anyone's business that a mother is still nursing at 4/5/6 ? Why is it acceptable for others to call that revolting etc and imply that the mother is damaging her child for her own benefit?

But for every benefit of bf an older child, their is psychological study to suggest how that child is being damaged

Please provide links to these supposed studies, i find this VERY hard to believe

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    Yes my 20mth old has a comfort item, no DD at four did not drag a comfort item around, as was very communicative, and as I said at this age would chat/cuddle to solve these issues.

I don't care, I wouldn't care if he was 20 and bf hence the reason I said as parents we all do the best we can with what we have. But this is what the topic was and I don't have to agree with the "popular" view I can have my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    So if the child is four, they're old enough to use a cup, yes? Why would the mother not express bm and give it to her in a cup, if it's only done for the nutritional value? Would it be acceptable for them to comfort suck on daddys breasts? If it's done for comfort, not nutrition. And yes, I know gentlemen with breasts.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub
    That is a very interesting point. cue memories of meet the Fockers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    That is a very interesting point. cue memories of meet the Fockers.

Bahaha. I loved that movie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    the bf child may think everyone does it and could bring it up in conversation with other kids at school. A bit like one kid at our school thinking it was ok to tell another kid about drinking daddy's snake like it was a normal thing to do. (This case was dealt with by the way.) And I am not comparing bf to abuse at all. Just the way kids bring up different topics in conversation that they may think occurs in every house hold.

omg, that poor child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    omg, that poor child!
    I know. very sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Ok before I get my head bitten off, what I meant is all these facts and studies ppl are quoting on why breast feeding 4-7yr olds is great don't really mean anything, just like for example self settling if your all for it, you can quote a million studies why it's great, if your against you can quote a million why its harmful.

Just like this topic- it's not the controversial, so there will be research "proving" both sides.
    No- see that's the thing, I have looked through journals and I haven't so far been able to find a single study on psychological damage due to extended breastfeeding.
    Other controversial topics, yes there's always 2 sides, but this one, so far from my reading, this 'other side' just doesn't exist.
    That's why I asked you (and anyone else), if anyone does have any articles I would find them an interesting read.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),wrena  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

So if the child is four, they're old enough to use a cup, yes? Why would the mother not express bm and give it to her in a cup, if it's only done for the nutritional value? Would it be acceptable for them to comfort suck on daddys breasts? If it's done for comfort, not nutrition. And yes, I know gentlemen with breasts.

Then why breast feed at all. I have an 8 month old I COULD express and bottle feed for the nutritional value and cuddle her for comfort. Or I could breast feed her when she's upset etc just for comfort (when the milk is just a bonus but she is sucking for sleep or pain relief because she's teething)

But then the milk comes out of my breasts with a handy nipple designed for drinking through so why would I go to the extra effort of expressing and feeding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Then why breast feed at all. I have an 8 month old I COULD express and bottle feed for the nutritional value and cuddle her for comfort. Or I could breast feed her when she's upset etc just for comfort (when the milk is just a bonus but she is sucking for sleep or pain relief because she's teething)

But then the milk comes out of my breasts with a handy nipple designed for drinking through so why would I go to the extra effort of expressing and feeding.

Because there has been proof that bottles, extended use or not, cause damage to teeth which would be counter productive for breast feeding.

Cups are cups, what everyone uses. A four year old can use one, no negative affects to her teeth. She can hold one, tip it up, feed herself.

An eight month old is far different from a four year old.

Eta: At what age does it stop being acceptable and actually does enter the realms of odd for people? For me, it‘s about 3.5 max, on a good day.

Would people feel comfortable walking into someone s house to discover their friends 13y\o boy sucking on his mothers breast for comfort?

Last edited by Jennaisme; 09-11-2012 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Because there has been proof that bottles, extended use or not, cause damage to teeth which would be counter productive for breast feeding.

Cups are cups, what everyone uses. A four year old can use one, no negative affects to her teeth. She can hold one, tip it up, feed herself.

An eight month old is far different from a four year old.

Okay. How about if she was 1 year old then she could use a cup. But I'd still breast feed her because it just makes more sense to me if I can and she wants to.

I guess my point is more unless there's a proven reason that there's any damage what so ever from breast feeding a child within a natural breast feeding age (under 7) why would it matter if they're fed breast milk from a cup or breast milk from the breast. And I for one wouldn't go to the trouble if I was still breast feeding a 4 Year old.