+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which formula for 10 month old with possible cow's milk protein intolerance?

I've just started on the diagnosis journey for a possible cow's milk protein intolerance with my 10.5 month old DD.

I'm currently using Karicare stage 2 but would love to hear from others who have had to switch to something suitable for this type of intolerance.

Will try and get into the health nurse next week but I know there must be people on hear with similar stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which formula for 10 month old with possible cow's milk protein intolerance?

Hi, if it is a cows milk protein intollerance, your only options are soy formula - Karicare do one that we use for my DD.

A lot of the time though they can also be intolerant of soy, but it's a good idea to start with soy first because your next option is a prescription non-dairy, non soy formula but you need a script for it or it's OTT expensive!

Neocate is the name of one but there are a few others but I'm not sure what they are called.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

loveabubba  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Goat is also an option but if its a true CMPI then this won't work either.

There are prescription formulas (such as Pepti Junior) you can get. Actually you can get them without a script too!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

loveabubba  (09-11-2012),PR2bMum  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Can I ask what the symptoms are to make you suspect CMPI?

Does your bub have frothy/mucousy green poo? Stomach pains? Unsettledness?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DS1 had/has CMPI and tolerated Nan HA. Partially hydrolysed formulas are easier for their gut to break down and in his case it was sufficient. The level of intolerance will dictate what type of formula you need to buy. PP is right though, soy intolerance is very common in kids with CMPI as the proteins are quite similar in structure (apparently) so soy may not be the answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    dd needed neocate for her cmpi. Had to be prescribed by a pead (unless I wanted to pay like $50 a can). If you suspect its the issue, I would skip the health nurse and talk to a gp about seeing a pediatrician.

dd was always unsettled, seemed to have tummy pain, and was pooing alot more then normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops, thought my last post came up but it didn't thanks to computer issues!

Have started on Karicare Soy just to see how things go. Still in the process of weaning from one formula to the other but are seeing improvements. Not sure if they are related or just a coincidence at the moment but we'll see how things go.

Generally her main symptoms are loose poos, upset tummy waking her several times a night and ezcema on her face and behind the knees.

Thanks
    Reviews

My LO is on NAN H.a and he seems great. He has CMPI...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has milk allergy - we use Karicare Soy. No problems. This was recommended to us by our paediatrician.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is lactose intolerant and we tried goats formula but no better than normal formula. Then went to karicare soy and she was great with that.