+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Whilst I DO understand not using tea towels in a restaurant setting (although when I worked in a cafe we regularly polished cutlery with tea towels) at home I don't see the difference between using a clean tea towel and air drying.

The amount of "germs" on a clean tea towel are going to be minimal, probably the same amount as the germs that would be floating around in the air and settling in wet plates left to dry.
    A tea towel provides a lovely damp, sheltered home for bacteria to breed. Bacteria breed into the millions after afew hours. So next time you use your tea towel, you are transferring bacteria. Air does not provide as nice of a cozy spot for bacteria, many bacteria do not live as long in the air and/or they need droplet carriers. So yes there are germs everywhere, but most definitely not the same amount in the air vs on a tea towel.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sort of spin off from the toilet mat thread*

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    A tea towel provides a lovely damp, sheltered home for bacteria to breed. Bacteria breed into the millions after afew hours. So next time you use your tea towel, you are transferring bacteria. Air does not provide as nice of a cozy spot for bacteria, many bacteria do not live as long in the air and/or they need droplet carriers. So yes there are germs everywhere, but most definitely not the same amount in the air vs on a tea towel.
    I suppose. I guess it all depends on how one uses their teatowel. I've only ever used mine for dishes at night time and each night I use a clean one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I once knew a person who would put her toilet brush and holder in the dishwasher to clean it.
    Granted, the dishwasher was apparently always empty at the time but I DO remember vomitting in my mouth a little when she told me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    I once knew a person who would put her toilet brush and holder in the dishwasher to clean it.
    Granted, the dishwasher was apparently always empty at the time but I DO remember vomitting in my mouth a little when she told me.
    What the?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sort of spin off from the toilet mat thread*

That is beyond disgusting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sort of spin off from the toilet mat thread*

Are you for real? I certainly would never accept a cup of tea or meal from that place! Puke!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eeeeewww!!
    Though, what DO people do with their toilet brushes? I find the thought of them so vile. I like to just ignore the fact that they would be teeming with all sorts of foul bacteria. One of my friends keeps bleach in the bottom of the toilet brush holder so that it lives in bleach.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Oh, i have a fun toilet brush story! Ours lives on a little ledge on the dividing wall between the bathroom/laundry to stop DS getting at it. It's pretty high up and about 50% of the time when i try to get it down, it falls and hits me in the face this is why cleaning the toilet is DP's job

We used to fill the holder with bleach, but now can't because of where its kept. So I fill the holder with bleach once a week or so and let the whole thing soak in the laundry sink for a while.

And I have another question re. toilet brushes- how do other people store them to stop little hands getting at them? Our 'keep it 6'5 off the ground' method clearly isn't working

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 22-11-2012 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Uh-Huh...yep. And when I told her that I was bit grossed out by it, she had NO idea why it'd be a problem.
    But it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that poo, pee and dishes should never unite!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Eeeeewww!!
    Though, what DO people do with their toilet brushes? I find the thought of them so vile. I like to just ignore the fact that they would be teeming with all sorts of foul bacteria. One of my friends keeps bleach in the bottom of the toilet brush holder so that it lives in bleach.
    I have a toilet brush (as do almost everyone I know and have been to their houses) but personally I only ever use mine to clean the toilet whilst I'm using bleach.

I pour bleach in the toilet and then use the brush to scrub out the bottom of the bowl and up around all the edges. So in theory its being "disinfected" at the same time.

My husband used to use it to clean "skid marks" but as soon as I found out, that was the end of that.