+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Success with low fert. rates using ICSI?

I know threads like this are pretty pointless because every individual situation is completely different, but well, we do what we can for whatever comfort we can get...

I'm wanting to hear success stories from people who have had very low fertilisation rates using ICSI, but still managed to get a blasty to transfer, or even a BFP.

I had EPU yesterday and we got 8 eggs. 5 were mature, but 2 matured later in the lab, so they ICSI'd 7. We were using donor sperm because they couldn't find anything in DH, so the sperm quality was supposedly good. However we only had two fertilise overnight. I am crushed, and don't have much hope that one of them will make it to blasty on Monday. Please inspire me to hold out hope?

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm still trying for my 1st but at my recent EPU I got 6 eggs & after they icsi'd them all only 2 fertilised, which are the 2 I had transferred on Monday.
    They said my husbands sperm is top notch & all my eggs were mature & nothing wrong with them. Weird, right?
    I was so angry when i heard the news that I felt like punching a wall. It's do disheartening because you do so much to ensure you get the most eggs but the fertilization rates are what keeps us back every time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your story Hope, best of luck to you.

Anyone else??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sariele you definently only need 1. I had 4 eggs collected and only 2 fertilised and 1 blastie transfered no frosties and I got my BFP. It can happen you just have to hope. Good luck I hope this is your lucky cycle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Samarasmum For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't give up hope Sariele, we had 8 eggs collected during our first cycle, 6 were icsi'd, and 1 survived, our beautiful dd, none made it to freezing but I got my baby so it can happen :-) My fingers and toes are crossed for you for good results on Friday

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tessagirl For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariele,

Sorry you're so disheartened by the low fert rate . I hope your 2 embies end up being all you need.

Just popped in to tell you about another BHer Lilypily. Her egg donor produced 10 eggs and from that they only had 1 fert. That single embie is now a havoc-wreaking toddler!

Conversely, high fert rates don't always result in a BFP. We have had between 60-100% fert on our cycles, total of 8 blasties transferred (either expanded or hatching on day 5) and still nothing.

Good luck with this cycle

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi sariele- we for some strange reason have bad fert rates (both sperm and eggs look fine)

Our first ivf round (not icsi) had one out of ten fertilise but that one didn't make it.

Our second attempt was icsi and we had four out of ten fertilise, three were good and we now have our little boy.

Third cycle we only got seven eggs, six were good but we only had three fertilise (our best fert rate yet) two embies were good, one was poor. We had a good and bad one transferred and froze one...I fell pregnant with twins!!! (later miscarried, but both took)

Had the final one transferred (long story but it didn't defrost properly, scientist wanted to chuck it as there was less than 20% of cells alive, no cells dividing) and I am now 30 weeks pregnant!

It can and does happen with few embies, and even very bad looking ones too. It really isn't about numbers. Good luck!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to traveler For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (23-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for your stories, very very appreciated. I found out a couple of days ago that my emby that they deemed "not viable" on Day 5 was actually frozen on Day 6, so I will find out at my follow-up on Monday what the heck happened there! Hopefully it turns out to be a little fighter! Regardless, I'm hoping FS has some ideas to try for us to get a better fert rate next stim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am coming into your thread a little late but for some positivity for your next cycle if it didn't work out, I had 3 eggs 1 was mature and fertilized we put the embryo back on day 2 and we have a beautiful little girl. I didn't believe when everyone told me it only takes one but it does. Good luck for your next cycle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lara2012 For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariele

Just want to reinforce that YES it can happen with just one embryo

I now have a beautiful healthy little girl from my 19th IVF cycle, from 3 mature eggs only one fertilised and was transferred on Day 2 at just 3 cells (bit behind) ... and now she is a happy 8 mth old!!

After 7 long hard years caught up in the 'science' of IVF i have finally realised that having trust in nature really can bring miracles. Its hard not to dwell on the statistics and want 'perfect' results from each cycle but at the end of it all if you can make it to transfer then you most certainly have hope...every embryo is a chance.

Successful IVF is not just about medical science, it also requires of fair bit of luck and a whole lot of the miracle of life!

Wishing you the best of luck

YY

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YinYang For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (29-11-2012)