+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    As an atheist parent of primary school aged children, I do not want my children taught "humanism" or any other "ism" in place of religion. My first choice would be for them not to be exposed to the subject at all. As the anachronistic "Scripture" classes still exist in our public schools, I am quite content for my children to do half an hour of Advanced Colouring In in that time. My actual preference is to scrap the whole lot of nonsense, send religious education back to the home where it belongs, and devote that 30 minutes to curriculum.
    I agree, I guess my point is two-fold.
    1. In the instances where the students are assigned to the religion branch chosen by their parents, is there an option for "no religion" and is it presented to them as a viable option? If the students are only presented with (for example) Catholic, Protestant (in the broadest sense of the term), Islam and Judaism is that the only options that the child believes there are?

2. The assumption that ethics and morals are based on religion and without religion we have neither. Therefore, the "no religion" students should be taught ethics to fill this void.

Personally I think no child should be taught religion until they are at least 16. This would eliminate indoctrination of children into a religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    As an atheist parent of primary school aged children, I do not want my children taught "humanism" or any other "ism" in place of religion. My first choice would be for them not to be exposed to the subject at all. As the anachronistic "Scripture" classes still exist in our public schools, I am quite content for my children to do half an hour of Advanced Colouring In in that time. My actual preference is to scrap the whole lot of nonsense, send religious education back to the home where it belongs, and devote that 30 minutes to curriculum.
    I agree with taking RE out of schools, I'd prefer that to any other option. However, a generalised overview of religions, as is part of the curriculum now, I'm fine with. I'd rather my daughters have some idea of what some people believe etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

In QLD anyway, RE classes are taught by volunteers. There's a big shortage of them hence there aren't many options. Just thought I'd put it out there that if you're frustrated with the options available then you can always take a class yourself or organise someone else to. A blue card and a chat to the principal should get things rolling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's opt-out here.

I don't even know if it's started yet for DD (she's in Grade 1, the second year of schooling), but there was a note about RE in the newsletter at the start of the year which said to provide the office with a note if you didn't want your child attending so I did that.

I have no idea what religious options they offer as it has never been a question as to which she will attend, just that she WON'T be attending any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

In the UK, religion is s huge part of the curriculum. When I taught there, it was about all religions. I would be happy for my children to learn about all religions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no religious classes at ds school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In the UK, religion is s huge part of the curriculum. When I taught there, it was about all religions. I would be happy for my children to learn about all religions.
    I'd be cool if DD was taught, "Here are some religions that exist and what they're all about." I think RE is more, "this is the truth, the end," though.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't mind my child being taught about all religions, providing the options of "no religion" is also included. So, rather than present the child with "this is the list of the main religions people believe in, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikh, Buddhism" it should also include "no religion" given a large portion of the world has no religion.

From an interest point of view I think cargo cults are fascinating and well worth a mention in a class that is discussing different religions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our school is a opt out system. It is a pain I would rather it opt in.

Instead of doing RE they do nothing, well I think there may be a readers club that I signed a form for but I don't hear anything about it so I don't know if that is actually happening.

I don't think there is a place for religious education in schools, it should be taught at home and after what my child came home with after doing a couple of lessons no way is she going back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I don't mind my child being taught about all religions, providing the options of "no religion" is also included. So, rather than present the child with "this is the list of the main religions people believe in, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikh, Buddhism" it should also include "no religion" given a large portion of the world has no religion.
    Whilst I don't have kids, I would love the idea of a class that teaches about all religions/the fact that people have different beliefs and save specific religious education for the church.

I personally believe in all religions, but don't follow one (if that makes sense) and hearing/learning the stories of the Bible and Christianity at school but in the same way that I loved learning the stories of the Greek Mythology, the Aboriginal Dreamtime and Shinto and Buddhism stories from Japanese studies which is all technically 'religious education'.

I would also accept the fact that if I sent my kids to a private religious school that they would have religious education there. Mind you I have a friend who did 12 years of Catholic schooling and didn't know what the Vatican City was, along with a couple of Muslim friends who were sent to Catholic/Anglican schools because their parents figured it had the same values/morals as an Islamic school would, so not entirely sure how much religion is actually taught.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 11-11-2012 at 20:21.