+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,664
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

    Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

    Are they opt in or opt out? What options are there in terms of religions or is it only Christianity.

    Importantly, is there a no-religion option (I'm not talking about opting out, I'm talking about discussing the option that many people have no religious beliefs) and presenting that as an alternative? So the class would be about secularism/humanism and the belief in scientifically proven facts to explain the world?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

    All we have is non-scripture, where the kids do nothing much at all. Would love to see ethics classes instead.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (08-11-2012),HarvestMoon  (08-11-2012),LoveHeart  (08-11-2012)

  4. #3
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,664
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    All we have is non-scripture, where the kids do nothing much at all. Would love to see ethics classes instead.
    I find it really astonishing and sad that the only option for those that have no religion is either nothing, or apparently at best an ethics class. The 2011 census showed 22.3% of Australians had no religion. Why is this not taught as a valid option? Why do we not have an option called "No religion" or possibly "Humanism"? This class could teach why so many people chose to have no religion and the scientific evidence that supports this opinion. "No religion" is the fastest growing segment in the census and if the trend continues it could expect to be close to a third of the population by the next census.

    I think this would me a much more valid option than having an ethics class as it stops the perpetuation of the assumption that without religion people have no moral or ethical compass and would be a more holistic/encompassing approach to a such a class.

    /end rant (maybe)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

    Default Re: What RE options does your primary school provide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    All we have is non-scripture, where the kids do nothing much at all. Would love to see ethics classes instead.
    This^ except at both schools DS has attended they have been made to do other additional school work.
    When i was in primary school the non religion class was free choice.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

    Also most religious/non religious choices are made by the parents of the child and not by the child themselves. My nephew is very interested in god and he is not baptized and his parents are not religious but they support his interest by letting him attend Sunday school. I don't like the idea of a class for non religious learning about not believing in god. Because at the end of the day that is another belief when you are supporting an argument. There should always be that class that doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure that schools would let anyone of any faith come in for the religion period to discuss religious theories with followers. So if you wanted an ethics class or whatever discuss it with the school and look for someone interested in the part who would volunteer.

  7. #6
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,664
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    Also most religious/non religious choices are made by the parents of the child and not by the child themselves. My nephew is very interested in god and he is not baptized and his parents are not religious but they support his interest by letting him attend Sunday school. I don't like the idea of a class for non religious learning about not believing in god. Because at the end of the day that is another belief when you are supporting an argument. There should always be that class that doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure that schools would let anyone of any faith come in for the religion period to discuss religious theories with followers. So if you wanted an ethics class or whatever discuss it with the school and look for someone interested in the part who would volunteer.
    I take your point that 'teaching' humanism/non religion is just as indoctrinating as teaching religion. However, I do think there is greater scope for objective teaching of such beliefs though.

    Whenever the question is asked on BH about chidren attending RE there is a general consensus that parents don't mind RE being taught providing it's about all religions, not just one branch. I think this is a good start but again I think that "no religion" should also be included.

    It still does not sit well with me that the alternative to RE being tabled is an ethics class.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I take your point that 'teaching' humanism/non religion is just as indoctrinating as teaching religion. However, I do think there is greater scope for objective teaching of such beliefs though.

    Whenever the question is asked on BH about chidren attending RE there is a general consensus that parents don't mind RE being taught providing it's about all religions, not just one branch. I think this is a good start but again I think that "no religion" should also be included.

    It still does not sit well with me that the alternative to RE being tabled is an ethics class.
    I get what you mean, i really do. religion is often an extremely unethical practice though, and presently my dd does nothing while others do RE, so an ethics class would hold more value IMO.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Why do we not have an option called "No religion" or possibly "Humanism"? This class could teach why so many people chose to have no religion and the scientific evidence that supports this opinion. "No religion" is the fastest growing segment in the census and if the trend continues it could expect to be close to a third of the population by the next census.
    As an atheist parent of primary school aged children, I do not want my children taught "humanism" or any other "ism" in place of religion. My first choice would be for them not to be exposed to the subject at all. As the anachronistic "Scripture" classes still exist in our public schools, I am quite content for my children to do half an hour of Advanced Colouring In in that time. My actual preference is to scrap the whole lot of nonsense, send religious education back to the home where it belongs, and devote that 30 minutes to curriculum.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What RE options does your primary school provide?

    I don't want any religion or non-religion class taught to my kids.

    Their school doesn't have any 'belief' based classes.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: What RE options does your primary school provide?

    When I was at my first primary school, we had an opt in Christian class for 30 mins for a period of about 3 weeks. I remember taking the class when I was in yr 3 and never having it offered again. At my second primary school, there was never an RE class. We just had the normal school work every day.

    At the public high school I went to, I don't think it was offered. At my private high school though, we had 2 x 45 minute lessons a week. Depending on the teacher, depended how it was taught. I had one teacher try to fail me because I Sat there and disproved things she said using both science and the Bible. When I got to yr 11 we actually started learning about other religions and how they compare to the religion we personally held, whether that be Christian or non-religion, or even atheist. I know they did something similar when I was in the earlier yrs of high school too. The teacher who had us doing this, was trying to reach us about the muslims and the fact that there isn't much difference between them and Christians.

    Hope this made sense. Baby brain likes to make normal things sound garbled... Lol

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. Hollywood Primary school?
    By redbox in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-07-2016, 16:33
  2. Southside of Brisbane, school options, help.
    By zeesmum in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 28-01-2012, 20:36
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-12-2011, 20:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
L'il Aussie Prems Foundation
An Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at high risk of giving birth prematurely, who have babies currently in hospital and families with toddlers who were born too soon.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!