+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lawyers as executor!

My Aunt passed away Nov 2011, it's almost been a year next week!

We still haven't heard anything about her will! We sat down he got our details etc?! But that's it.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how long this will take?! It's really frustrating me I have left multiple messages and no reply! I originally wanted to buy out my other family members but he won't even call me back!

TIA

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A year really isn't that long in terms of executing a will. It is frustrating as hell but fairly standard. Every time they call you or you call them they will be billing the estate. But it is not much comfort when you just want an update of where things are at. Hope it is resolved quickly for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Lawyers as executor!

That's unusual. I once dealt with public trustee as executor. all was finalised and dealt with in a little over 6 months from memory. I think a lot of out depends on what is to be done. Sell the house, divide assets etc.. But the executor should be keeping you on the loop. sounds a little dodgy to me.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

If you're not getting any answers from the executor, and the executor is a solicitor, then perhaps you should ring the Law Society in your state for some guidance.

I used to work in probate and some matters can take forever do you have a copy of the will? Are you a beneficiary?

If you are a beneficiary, then you should be kept in the know of how the matter is progressing do you have your own legal representation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I act for executors in estate administration, and unless it is a large and complex estate or there is some litigation, it should be easily wrapped up in a year, generally less.

I'm in Queensland though. I'm not sure if probate takes a bit longer in some other states.

If you are a beneficiary they should communicate with you. If beneficiaries contact me, I will always give them an update on how the administration is progressing. If you feel that they are not carrying out their executor duties properly, then you should see your own solicitor and get that solicitor to communicate with the executor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Lawyers as executor!

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I act for executors in estate administration, and unless it is a large and complex estate or there is some litigation, it should be easily wrapped up in a year, generally less.

I'm in Queensland though. I'm not sure if probate takes a bit longer in some other states.

If you are a beneficiary they should communicate with you. If beneficiaries contact me, I will always give them an update on how the administration is progressing. If you feel that they are not carrying out their executor duties properly, then you should see your own solicitor and get that solicitor to communicate with the executor.
    I have recently been told that I am being listed as an executor in someones will. What exactly are an executors duties. I don't want to derail but I think my question may also help OP in understanding her situation as well. I have been a beneficiary before so I know the outcome and am a little worried about the responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I have recently been told that I am being listed as an executor in someones will. What exactly are an executors duties. I don't want to derail but I think my question may also help OP in understanding her situation as well. I have been a beneficiary before so I know the outcome and am a little worried about the responsibility.

Basically to collect the assets, pay the liabilities and distribute to the beneficiaries as per the will. You can put it in the hands of a solicitor, and they will do all the legal work for you.

to make life easier, ask the will maker to make a list of their assets and liabilities and any notes as to where things are kept etc before they die. Otherwise, you could be having to go through their whole house looking for copies of statements and trying to work out what you have to do, which can be a huge job and assets can be missed.

after they die, if you don't want to do it, you can always renounce as executor anyway. it's not an appointment you have to accept.

eta: i often comment to clients that being an executor is a pretty sh1tty job - boring work, no pay and you get hassled by the beneficiaries about when they are getting their money! (in saying that, you can apply for a commission for being an executor, but, at least in qld, it's not much money and it can be a hassle to get)
    Last edited by MsMummy; 08-11-2012 at 12:28.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a lawyer & I think I will contact him next week. I haven't received one phone call at all! Or my Dad etc... I'm rather annoyed As I was going to buy out the other parts if possible but not even a hint possible if they don't call back!

I am a beneficiary yes, I'm getting half the estate and the other half is divided into eighths etc (It seems so confusing)!

They didn't even give us a copy of the will! Just read it to us on the day, lucky my Grandma had one!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks heaps for your information I thought I might of been over reacting my mum thinks they can take 'as long as they want' surely not :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    An executor (professional or otherwise) has a duty to carry out the estate administration and distribute the estate to the beneficiaries. A year is generally the accepted time frame, but subject to the individual estate.

An executor cannot sit on their hands long term, and an aggrieved beneficiary can apply to the supreme court for a remedy.