+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Methods for night weaning a 7mth old?

DD is waking once, sometimes twice during night. I think she is ready to wean from this feed. I know I am! Want to try & encourage her to sleep through.

She is bottle fed, sleeps in her own bed & room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for methods on how to do this?
    Are there any websites that explain the process?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Methods for night weaning a 7mth old?

Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi
    i weaned my 7 month old from night feeds around 6 months. He was waking around 2am for a bottle and i didn't think he really wanted it. So when he woke i would put a dummy in and try rock him back to sleep. Some nights that didn't work and i had to make a bottle but then he started wanting the bottle less and less.

I have heard people trying to just give some water instead of milk.
    Does ur bub have a dummy? I think that helped us. Sometimes i brought him into bed with me if he wouldn't settle and he would go to sleep so i knew the bottle was just a comfort thing.

Ds has just started waking more in the night for a dummy so im actually thinking of doing the night feed again. Their sleep seems ro change month by month!

Thanks
    Reviews

I fed him baby cereal and a whole bottle before bed, this kept him full.
    I always gave him a teddy and blanket while he drinks his bottle then nods off, if he did wake up I gave him half a bottle.

Now he's 1, he doesnt wake, rarely if he does he snuggles his blanket and teddy and soothes himself.

Also found its really important they are warm, I realised if he's cold he wakes up. I dress him always in a warm sleep suit because he kicks the blankets off.

Thanks
    Reviews

Great tips above which reminds me i would put a tabkespoon or so of farex rice cereal in his night bottle before bed too in hopes he would sleep through. It did work some nights! i am now trying to keep ds full during the day too which i have read can help with sleeping longer. Do u feed 3 solids meals a day? Maybe try more solids too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Great tips above which reminds me i would put a tabkespoon or so of farex rice cereal in his night bottle before bed too in hopes he would sleep through. It did work some nights! i am now trying to keep ds full during the day too which i have read can help with sleeping longer. Do u feed 3 solids meals a day? Maybe try more solids too?
    Please don't ever put farex in a bottle. It's very outdated, dangerous advice.
    I wouldn't be suggesting to do this to anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews

Why? The doctor was the one who said i could do it.. Also to help with ds reflux he said he would help thickening so he doesn't spew so much..
    Would like to know why though as i Havnt heard otherwise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Why? The doctor was the one who said i could do it.. Also to help with ds reflux he said he would help thickening so he doesn't spew so much..
    Would like to know why though as i Havnt heard otherwise?

Exactly. And unless you're a doctor who has examined this persons child then I wouldn't be recommending it. There hasn't been any mention of reflux which is when a doctors recommend it.
    It is a choking hazard and can also lead to over feeding.
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 10-11-2012 at 11:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

As i said it was also told to me to fill him up to try get him to sleep longer.
    Anyway the op can take what advice she wants and discard what she doesn't agree with. I don't see how a baby can choke on milk with a tablespoon or farex in it..its that watered down. Isnt it the same as a thickener..But we can agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was BF my 6month DD and returned to work. The night feeds were killing me so I expressed and hubby did one...turns out she was only having about 50ml so we figured it was just a habit/comforting thing. Decided then to go cold turkey.
    Would do a 10pm dream feed then the patting/shhh'ing thing when she woke before 5am, never offering milk or water. Took a week and if she woke after that she'd learnt to self settle within minutes.
    Worked for us, but each baby is different. Good luck