+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do u know if the Formula is right?

Hi ladies,

So I have a 4 week old DS who has been fully FF since 2 weeks. I am using Aptimal Karicare Gold. My bub is VERY unsettled in the day and has been pretty much the whole tine he has been FF. After discussions with a lot of other mums they suggested I change his formula.

How did u know to change? Bub also seems to get a LOT of wind so this could also b why he is so unsettled.

He is great at night but I think that's only because he hasn't slept all day & is absolutely exhausted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had problems with gold formulas too, they caused tummy pains and constipation. It can sometimes take a while to find the right formula, but normal Karicare was great for us. IME you know its right when bubs seems settled between feeds, poos regularly and drinks happily. If you change formulas expect up to a week of unsettled ness and constipation and give it at least a full tin to see the effects once everything settles after the change.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the reply. This may sound stupid but how did u know ur bub had tummy pains? Also how often should bub be pooing cause I can't tell if he is constipated as he goes every second day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If he was constipated you'd know due to the squirming, red face, pain and crying when they do poo.

I'd try some infants friend before changing formula again. We changed three times and it was crap as it takes them time to get used to a new one and is a lot for their little tummies to handle.

A chiro also helped us with DS' wind massively.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

It could be any number of things causing the unsettledness.

Maybe try the Karicare HA formula. It's hypoallergenic so it's partially broken down and good for babies with possible allergies (don't worry it's different to the NAN HA formula which you may have heard has made babies sick.)

You could also try maybe a soy formula (karicare does one of these too) as there could be a possible cows milk protein intollerance. Bear in mind that most babies who are intolerant of cows milk protein can also be intolerant of soy.

Or I hear great things about Bellamy's Organic formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD had tummy pains she would pull her legs up into her chest while crying and squirming... she also had reflux which was a different pain, she would arch her back and be inconsolable with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp ~pulling legs up and screaming usually means tummy pain, as opposed to pulling up and grunting (doing a poo, and pulling their 'pooface').

If you change formula, do it gradually, mixing quarter/three quarters, half-half, etc, over the course of a week to minimise discomfort and tummy upsets.

Sounds like bub could be a little constipated if going once every 2 days and not on breastmilk, but then again, could be fine. Bubs vary vastly in their 'bowel frequency.' If the consistency is fairly soft ~ like toothpaste, probably not constipation. If bub drinks well, gains weight, has 6-8 wet nappies and a dirty nappy or 4 per day, the formula is probably right. Try burping bubs 2-3 times throughout the bottle feeding process, rather than just at the end. This can minimise the wind from air intake during feeding, though not wind produced during digestion.

Good luck ~ I hope you work it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We use Bellamy Organic now and have had no issues since he has been on it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same kudos to Bellamy's - we shifted over to that plus expressed BM after Kari reflux formula (with which we'd used prune juice and extra 10pc water on paed advice due to constipation issues). No probs with Bellamy's. Bub loved it, thrived, and was happy and regular. It smells and tastes really good, too. Bonus is it's an Aussie company and produced in Tas. Can't recommend highly enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How do u know if the Formula is right?

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Same kudos to Bellamy's - we shifted over to that plus expressed BM after Kari reflux formula (with which we'd used prune juice and extra 10pc water on paed advice due to constipation issues). No probs with Bellamy's. Bub loved it, thrived, and was happy and regular. It smells and tastes really good, too. Bonus is it's an Aussie company and produced in Tas. Can't recommend highly enough.
    same. We had great success with Bellamys. All the best OP

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub