+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Complaining to mobile service providers

Has anyone had any success complaining to mobile providers about poor coverage/reception and getting their contract cancelled?

I live in a major regional (think we're probably considered metropolitan now) area and can not get coverage with my provider at my house. I'm talking no bars, "SOS only" lack of coverage and am sick of paying $60/month for a phone that I can't use at home.

I've just sent an email to the service provider outlining my problems and requesting that my contract be cancelled. I have a couple of screenshots of my phone showing no reception which as it's an iPhone should be geotagged with the location (proving that I'm at home), but I don't what else I can do to prove it since I don't have call history because I can't actually make the call in the first place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Ombudsman (telecommunications) I think it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Complaining to mobile service providers

I most certainly have!!! I could have written that post myself

I 'was' with Optus... and it was a battle but in the end I am now a happy Telstra customer.

speak to the retention or complaint team of your service provider.let them know yiure don't get service (in the end they can see their dead spots so the screen shots shouldn't matter... I did the same thing)

you are paying for a service they cannot provide. if they don't cancel without fees, ask for a dispute number so you can lodge a complaint to the telecommunications ombudsmen... they quickly change their tone.

if you don't get anywhere with the service provider, you will definitely be able to cancel the service through the ombudsmen. it costs the service provider when you lodge a complaint for the TIO.

I cancelled my contract for 2 phones with 13 months left on the contract. all we had to do is send our phones back (after Optus originally telling me they don't accept phones back and we would have to pay for them... rubbish

good luck!! I know how frustrating it can be! the only reception I used to get was by standing on one particular paver in the driveway haha

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your quick replies!!

The TIO is definitely my next step - am going to call Virgin tomorrow morning (have reference number from email) and then will call the ombudsmen straight away if they can't resolve it then. I'm absolutely sick of having the phone ring (doing well if it actually rings) and then having to race to the other end of the house, attempt to unlock the front door and make it out to the road all whilst yelling down the phone "hello? hello?" and then to find they've hung up on me and then i have to call them back which then costs me money. Especially when I was applying for jobs at QHealth hospitals and they all come up 'Blocked' so no idea who called.....

Thinking Telstra, especially worried since I'm moving to FNQueensland in a couple of weeks and if Virgin can't hold up in a metro area....

Have no problem with sending them my phone back, it has a scratch on the screen anyway hehehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did with optus. had an iphone contract through them (2 years) and after a year I had tried travelling an hour to the apple store to replace my phone, and getting a new simcard from optus to no avail. Ended up contacting the ombusman.. by the end of the same day a very nice guy from optus rang me and cancelled my contract, AND I kept the phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I know lots of people who were able to leave Vodafone this way

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We recently had this exact same problem with Virgin on two handsets we only had a month.

We tried talking to them, call centres and instore and had a month of the most agonising pain and horrible experience imaginable.

Ended up going to TIO who intervened but still didn't get anywhere.

I complained on their Facebook page about the whole ordeal and the 'Social Networking Team' gave me details to contact them.

They are Australian and nsw based. In 2 hours (they did more in two hours than anyone else did in a month) our service was cancelled and all fees waived without any problems at all. All we had to do was send the phones back. I was amazed at how helpful they are, it's a shame the rest of the company sucks.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 08-11-2012 at 05:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Complaining to mobile service providers

I cancelled a contract with vodaphone without any issues.

With virgin i would get in touch with the ombudsman as so many people seem to have issues with them and that seems to be the only way to get anywhere with them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh just got out of his contract with virgin recently, though they bent over backwards trying to offer him a new phone, cheaper plan etc.

Call/contact them at least twice, then go to the tio.

I was with voda, and have so many issues I got put through to a Level 2 case worker (because voda didn't work my original issues out) he advised me as I had documentation of calling them for months about crappy service (no where near as bad as yours) I was entitled to ask for a portion of my cap back. In the end voda offered me to just keep my iPhone and cancel my contract no charges. That was a big win

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the above. When I finally called the ombudsman they asked why I'd taken so long. They said, try twice and then call them. I've done it a couple of times now over phone issues and each time my company rang me as soon as they got an email from the ombudsman and resolved the issue.