+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    At the private school I went to we had to wear a white blouse with a heavy tunic over the top. Socks were a light brown colour with black leather lace up shoes. We had winter and summer hats which had to be worn outside of school. The school jumper could be worn inside of school but not outside unless also worn with the school blazer. Hair had to be done up with one inch navy blue ribbons tied in a bow. No visible jewely other than plain sleepers or studs. No nail polish, no make up. I remember there was one day when for some reason I had to change into the sports uniform at school for a class, then change back into school uniform for a regular lesson, then back into the sports uniform for a special PE thingy, then back into my school uniform to ride the bus home. I asked if I could go to the glass in my sports uniform and I got an unreserved "NO!". The uniform changes also included changing socks as well. Boarders also had going out uniforms that they had to wear when they were being picked up or dropped off by their parents (summer and winter uniforms). We were also no allowed to go into shops before or after school in our uniform or eat or drink in public in our uniform.
    Wow Sounds more like a prison than a school. As I said, I see many pro's to a school uniform, but dictating the length of the ribbon? control gone crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    I believe children should wear school uniforms.
    I'd also happily enforce a strict uniform policy.
    As long as the children are comfortable, I see nothing wrong with a school setting a 'professional' standard of dress for students.
    A child's individuality and sense of creativity can be expressed via their accomplishments and friendships and during the many hours they are not attending school.
    Yes definately agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, a loud resounding yes....but I a.so believe it needs to be a source of pride for the kids too. Not just a sloppy misfit blend of some uniform components. My son goes to a private school now and he is proud of his uniform, it has changed his level of pride in himself and the level of effort he puts in to presenting himself in general, even his posture changed when he put on that shirt and tie and blazer. Previously he was slopping to school in a polo shirt and various sloppy bottoms.
    I also think it is just one less thing for kids (especially teenagers) to have to think about every morning, one less status/fashion/income statement causing fashionista issues as school.
    He is also in scouts and is proud of his scout uniform too, no jumper to hide it if we go down the street etc and his mates in scouts are the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Love them but hate when they are too scrict eg white with no colour anywhere runners for sport and plain black for the rest of the time. Only there school bag/swimmer/rashy etc.....
    I agree with this. I like uniforms but not when they make parents buy one type of sock or trainers. That gets a bit OTT for me.

My kids school has a non compulsory uniform which the vast majority wear, but in winter they can wear different coloured leggings and undershirts so they can still choose things they like.

I've noticed our clothes bill has gone right down since starting school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP I should add if I was choosing a school for my kids and found one I liked but didn't have a uniform it wouldn't be determinative for me. Schools should be able to promote equality among the students without a uniform.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Yes!!!

It would have taken me so much longer to get ready if I had to choose what I was wearing to school.

It also means kids aren't teased for not having the coolest clothes.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my kids school uniforms. Working mothers best friend. No choice. No arguements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love that our school of choice has a uniform. I hate the price tag that comes with it though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the emphasis on self presentation that my sons private school requires, but I also like the idea of the individualism of Montessori!

Big boy '08
    Little girl '11
    Fetus-face due Feb '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. State schools where I live don't have uniforms andvthe stuff the kids where to school is shocking. Surely cleavage and butt cheeks should b covered at school! Apparently not. One of the reasons kids r at a private school is because they wear a uniform. Ironic thing is ( when looking at the OP) it's a montessori school.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app