+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

One of our reasons for private school was the wearing of a strict uniform. We own businesses where we make our employees wear a uniform within very strict guidelines.
    I am all for individual expression but I believe that there is a time and a place but also a choice. For example when you become an age where you find the need to express yourself find a place where you will fit in not make your surroundings fit in with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

when a school that struggles with general behavioral issues is looking to have an overhaul... the first focus is uniform.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    this thread is reminding me of high school at a girls school when we'd see the year coordinator coming up the mezzanine and the girls in the class next to us would yell from their window "uniform inspection!!" and everyone would be furiously unzipping their skirt to pull it down so it touched the floor when you knelt down. And taking out earrings that we're studs and unscrunching socks. funny when i think back

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

I think it depends on the type of schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with uniforms to an extent...

Whhen I was in primary school (I went to two different schools and both had the same uniform policy), the uniform was: School polo shirt, school shorts/skirts or dark pants (navy or black), school jumper if required. Hair had to be tied back, no unreasonable jewelery (so a necklace was fine but rings were too much). And that is it. It was fine to play sports in, wasn't too hot or cold, was never uncomfortable.

I also went to two different high schools. The first one I went to had a school polo shirt and that is it. And a different plain sports shirt. Could wear any makeup, hair how we wanted, jewelery, etc etc etc. You name it, it could be done... I then went to a private school with a stricter uniform policy. I hated the fact that I always had to wear either a skirt or a dress. The ties, no makeup policy, the hair, the jewelery, didn't bother me. The dresses did!!!

I like the policy that I had at Primary School, and think that would be reasonable for any school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I think so. But a basic uniform. One also that you can get shorts etc from Kmart or wherever cheaply. And like a logo on a polo or tshirt. And logo jumper. In plain colour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I struggled with the conformity of strict scool uniform, and, it seems so does my daughter! She is a little creative free-spirit, and has always wanted to exert her individuality, be it stripey socks or a giant red flower in her hair! Her school has a basic uniform policy in that she has to wear school polo, correct colour skirt/skorts or dress, but is otherwise quite loose. She often pushes the boundaries (like spotty 3/4 tights under her dress ), and I allow her to (as long as she has the uniform on) - if she gets in trouble she cops the consequences. She knows the rules, but bends them a litle and i'm OK with that. I like that she is an individual, she dresses for herself, not because she is copying or trying to impress anyone and I love that about her. If it was a strict school she would either not last long or conform/
    My DS on the other had, couldn't care less what he wore, and puts on whatever I hand to him...
    I like the policy our school has, the kids still look uniformed, and neat, but allow a little individuality.
    I always think how ridiculous the private school girls look sitting at the bus stop on a boiling hot day, roasting in their winter uniform. Seems crazy to me!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I can't stand them. What happened to teaching kids to accept each other? I never had a uniform and i never got teased, or saw anyone else get teased, over what they were wearing. I think as a PP said its a much bigger issue for kids on mufti days than at schools with no uniform at all.
    TBH I think a lot of parents like uniforms because it eradicates a lot of arguments with your teens about what they're wearing
    I will never wear a uniform, I am not a representation of a brand, I am a person. The only place I see for uniforms is when there is a safety element involved- doctors, police, soldiers etc.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-11-2012),wrena  (08-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Double post

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 08-11-2012 at 06:29.

Thanks
    Reviews

That sounds good kaybaby. That's what my school was like in primary school. Then high school we could wear jeans, or navy blue pants, shorts or skirts and the schools polo and jumper. But really lots of freedom to express yourself. But also the *safety* of a uniform.

Year 11 & 12 was no uniform. I found that in year 11 & 12 was very much like "you're adults and you choose to be here so we'll respect you like adults and expect you to behave like adults".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (09-11-2012)