+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm happy with a uniform. I went to a girls school with a strict uniform policy and it was hard enough to work out how to do my hair in the morning, I'm so glad I didn't have to choose my clothes too!

My ds is at a Kinder attached to a school and he can wear the school's jumper if he wants and most kids have 1 of them, but don't necessarily wear it every day. He needed one for the school photo last year (mid-year) and that's when I bought it for him and he was thrilled and said 'Oh, great, now I'll look like everyone else!'. I had no idea he even noticed (he was 4 years old). This year is his 2nd year of Kinder and I've adopted a uniform for him of plain tops & pants & the school jumper. I've found it SO much easier. He has his kinder clothes separate in his drawers and I need so many less clothes overall and I don't have to worry if dh chooses his clothes that he'll go to Kinder in the most expensive clothes in his drawer!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm pro uniform for the reasons mentioned...

...except my school was a bit OTT (private all girls catholic school). We had to rest on our knees to prove that the skirt touched the floor, we were only allowed plain white socks and plain black shoes, sport shoes had to be white and blue only (not white OR blue - white AND blue...we had to source them ourselves too), no jewellery except for one pair of sleepers in the ears and a necklace (religious medallion or cross only). We had to wear a tie which was a PIA.

I think there is a healthy medium
    At the private school I went to we had to wear a white blouse with a heavy tunic over the top. Socks were a light brown colour with black leather lace up shoes. We had winter and summer hats which had to be worn outside of school. The school jumper could be worn inside of school but not outside unless also worn with the school blazer. Hair had to be done up with one inch navy blue ribbons tied in a bow. No visible jewely other than plain sleepers or studs. No nail polish, no make up. I remember there was one day when for some reason I had to change into the sports uniform at school for a class, then change back into school uniform for a regular lesson, then back into the sports uniform for a special PE thingy, then back into my school uniform to ride the bus home. I asked if I could go to the glass in my sports uniform and I got an unreserved "NO!". The uniform changes also included changing socks as well. Boarders also had going out uniforms that they had to wear when they were being picked up or dropped off by their parents (summer and winter uniforms). We were also no allowed to go into shops before or after school in our uniform or eat or drink in public in our uniform.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

Yes I'm happy with dd wearing uniform. It's releaving not to have to decide what to wear everyday. Her everyday clothes stay in better condition since she only wears them after school and on weekends. Plus it makes it so the children don't have to worry about having the latest trends and it makes the school look more proud. Much more neater.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyrissa View Post
    Hmmm sounds like we went to the same school ...
    We also had to wear a blazer and a big straw hat to and from school.
    Oh yes we had the blazer and hat too. The hats were like the ones out of Madeline - so flat and impractical, they used to just blow off everyone's heads.

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Mine was catholic too with similar rules and I used to wear ankh but told the prin it was an ancient crucifix
    Pffft!!!! 'ilarious Sounds like something our headmistress would have said

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think kids should wear uniforms but I also think they should be allowed to wear jewelry or accessories to express themselves. I am aware that kids can be picked on because of their jewelry/nail polish/accessories etc. but thats for the child to learn.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    At the private school I went to we had to wear a white blouse with a heavy tunic over the top. Socks were a light brown colour with black leather lace up shoes. We had winter and summer hats which had to be worn outside of school. The school jumper could be worn inside of school but not outside unless also worn with the school blazer. Hair had to be done up with one inch navy blue ribbons tied in a bow. No visible jewely other than plain sleepers or studs. No nail polish, no make up. I remember there was one day when for some reason I had to change into the sports uniform at school for a class, then change back into school uniform for a regular lesson, then back into the sports uniform for a special PE thingy, then back into my school uniform to ride the bus home. I asked if I could go to the glass in my sports uniform and I got an unreserved "NO!". The uniform changes also included changing socks as well. Boarders also had going out uniforms that they had to wear when they were being picked up or dropped off by their parents (summer and winter uniforms). We were also no allowed to go into shops before or after school in our uniform or eat or drink in public in our uniform.
    Sounds like my school! There was one day where I accidentally wore my sports uniform to school on the wrong day and they tried to send me home to change! My Mum had words and they finally agreed that it was ok on that one occasion.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Sounds like my school! There was one day where I accidentally wore my sports uniform to school on the wrong day and they tried to send me home to change! My Mum had words and they finally agreed that it was ok on that one occasion.
    Oh there was no wearing of school uniform to or from school at my school. If you had PE or an occasion to wear your sports uniform you had to bring it with you, get changed and then get changed back into your uniform, even if it was the end of the day and you were going home... sometimes it meant you might miss your bus as well (Can you tell I'm a teeny bit bitter and twisted about my experience?? )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Lol same here. Exactly the same, except dark green ribbon instead of navy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh there was no wearing of school uniform to or from school at my school. If you had PE or an occasion to wear your sports uniform you had to bring it with you, get changed and then get changed back into your uniform, even if it was the end of the day and you were going home... sometimes it meant you might miss your bus as well (Can you tell I'm a teeny bit bitter and twisted about my experience?? )
    That's just ridiculous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That's just ridiculous!
    It was a PITA!!