+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am pro - uniform .. I think it takes the stress out of what to wear each day .. and in the words of my mother "its a place for learning, its not a fashion parade" .. lol

My DS goes to a school where the uniforms are affordable .. I bought three shirts, three shorts and a hat for $150 ..

I do think some schools take it too far .. there is one local school where you MUST wear the correct socks .. and they are $7 a PAIR .. insane ..

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    ... "its a place for learning, its not a fashion parade" ...
    Um, we might be related. That's exactly what my mother said!! I wasn't even allowed to wear white socks that had a little frill around the top in primary school. All the girls had these pretty socks except me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never worn a school uniform and really don't like the idea of them. I'd hate to work somewhere with a uniform, too. I've worked in schools quite a lot and, particularly in the more exclusive private schools, the uniforms are often incredibly impractical and the backpacks are super uncomfortable and poorly designed. A uniform would definitely be a negative when it comes to choosing a school for our DD

Thanks
    Reviews

Default "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

Yes I think they def should. It helps teachers know who are students, it looks good, and saves parents deciding what students should wear. Children all look equal rather than competition over brand names etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Im all for school uniforms.
    DD1 is starting school next year and her school has a strict uniform code down to the socks and hair accessories.
    Im happy to follow it

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm pro uniform for the reasons mentioned...

...except my school was a bit OTT (private all girls catholic school). We had to rest on our knees to prove that the skirt touched the floor, we were only allowed plain white socks and plain black shoes, sport shoes had to be white and blue only (not white OR blue - white AND blue...we had to source them ourselves too), no jewellery except for one pair of sleepers in the ears and a necklace (religious medallion or cross only). We had to wear a tie which was a PIA.

I think there is a healthy medium

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I agree with Luna.

It's different for Montessori school and other independent schools.

All the kids at DD's school wear what they like and it's not a problem and no-one is teased for it. There is a boy who likes to wear a three piece suit and hat everyday, and that's cool with the rest of the kids. DD picks what she wants to wear the night before so it isn't a hassle. Her clothes are separated in her closet into clothes she can wear to school ie: sleeves, nothing too short etc and clothes she can't wear to school ie: anything strappy.
    At the Montessori school today there was such a mix of kids wearing all kinds of different clothes and they all seemed happily oblivious to it, when I asked the principal she did say that as they put such an emphasis on individuality none of the kids compete or worry about who is wearing what - and this is a $8000 a year primary school but as you say maybe it works for their way of teaching

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Definitely pro uniform for many of the reasons mentioned above.

I don't think uniforms should be provided free, but I do think they could be sold at cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

...except my school was a bit OTT (private all girls catholic school). We had to rest on our knees to prove that the skirt touched the floor, we were only allowed plain white socks and plain black shoes, sport shoes had to be white and blue only, no jewellery except for one pair of sleepers in the ears and a necklace (religious medallion or cross only). We had to wear a tie which was a PIA.

Mine was catholic too with similar rules and I used to wear ankh but told the prin it was an ancient crucifix

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

...except my school was a bit OTT (private all girls catholic school). We had to rest on our knees to prove that the skirt touched the floor, we were only allowed plain white socks and plain black shoes, sport shoes had to be white and blue only (not white OR blue - white AND blue...we had to source them ourselves too), no jewellery except for one pair of sleepers in the ears and a necklace (religious medallion or cross only). We had to wear a tie which was a PIA.

Hmmm sounds like we went to the same school ...
    We also had to wear a blazer and a big straw hat to and from school.