+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default "spin off" do you think kids should wear school uniforms?

Without derailing the other thread I'm interested in everyone's opinion as to kids wearing school uniforms?
    My sister and I did a tour of a Montessori primary school today where kids don't wear uniforms , we both spent 12 years at a strict private girls school with a very strict uniform code but after seeing the kids today I think I'm changing my views on uniforms! What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes. I would have hated the stress of choosing clothes to wear each day.

And I was on scholarship at a posh school and was the poorest student there pretty much so my wardrobe would have been judged and found wanting!!

Would have been really hard for me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-08-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to private school with a strict uniform policy. There were girls (and boys) from very wealthy families and some not so wealthy. It took out all of the competition about labels and fashions so we were all 'equal'.

It also took the hastle of wondering what to wear to school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (26-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a big uniform lover...for lots of reasons

It saves the parent having to think of what to put the child in each day.

For older kids there's no pressure about what to wear each day to look cool.

It means there is no difference in what kids can wear it some kids can afford to wear expensive designer brands and some can't.

Promotes school pride and spirit.

Is suitable to be played in...etc etc

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

baikirashero  (23-08-2013),Bonezart  (23-08-2013),Guest654  (07-11-2012),ICanDream  (07-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (08-11-2012),PR2bMum  (07-11-2012),really old  (08-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (07-11-2012),Tazzy  (26-08-2013),wigglemum  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

There are pros and cons, but I am in favour of uniforms. I even paid to have my own uniform made up with DEC logo. I don't think it has to be strict, but school colours at least. I think children should be able to express themselves in other ways. There's a boy in my class who is growing out his fringe. Possibly in a more strict public school on the north shore or private school, it wouldn't be allowed. We don't have strict shoe colour policy, but obviously no open shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Totally in favour of uniforms! In year 11 and 12 I went to a school that did not have uniforms and it was a pain. I used to stress over what outfit to wear every day and there were a few days where I got so stressed (ie. days where I would be in a class with the guy I had a crush on) that I would chuck a sickie and not go at all!

Uniforms just make it easy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    I went to private school with a strict uniform policy. There were girls (and boys) from very wealthy families and some not so wealthy. It took out all of the competition about labels and fashions so we were all 'equal'.

It also took the hastle of wondering what to wear to school.
    This. Exactly.
    I had enough to worry about as a teen, the thought of thinking what I looked like every day would have been seriously damaging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I really like a school with uniforms. I have been to one with and without.

I loved the school that's didn't have a uniform better then any other school BUT it was hard trying to find something "new" to wear every day. It was also a lot more washing and time consuming for my mother. There was absolutely more teasing due to what other kids were or weren't wearing.

The schools with uniforms were horrible but I don't think it had much to do with the uniforms. I liked that no one was singled out due to not wearing the "in thing" or not having enough money for brand names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Love them but hate when they are too scrict eg white with no colour anywhere runners for sport and plain black for the rest of the time. Only there school bag/swimmer/rashy etc.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both...

In more main****** environments, yes, I think a uniform is important for the reasons mentioned above.

In a montessori or other alternative education environments, no, because there is a different focus and approach to the way things are done. Children who attend those type of school probably come from a similar background/home/lifestyle, so they're most likely to be already equal.

Does that make sense?