+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding after a breast reduction

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have done all my parenting classes etc with the associated emphasis on breastfeeding. I also had a very extensive breast reduction about 8 years ago. After talking to a lactation consultant today I was informed that 99% of women who have had a reduction have to at least supplement with formula if not feed exclusively with it.

Considering the classes were aimed at telling us breast is best and formula is a SIDS risk, this is concerning to me.

Has anyone had a breast reduction and managed to breast feed? What were your experiences with this?

I'm better when I know what to expect and to be honest I don't trust all midwives to be honest when it comes to breastfeeding.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm an LC and I think that statistis is silly and meaningless. What matters is what exact surgery you had done, which nerves were severed, if your nipples were moved and how much tissue remains. You might want to have a look at a great book called the Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to making More Milk. Did she talk about donated milk? Human milk for Human Babies (facebook) or Mother's Milk Bank websites? You have lots of options. I'd suggest the ABA would be a better place to start than whoever you saw.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SPC. It was pretty extensive. It wasn't the 'liposuction-type' of breast reduction, he cut it all out from underneath, took the nipple off and sewed it back on again. I'm still pretty big unfortunately. TMI (sorry), but the nipples are still reactive etc and no ill effects there.

The LC was one that works at the hospital I'm booked into. I just called them because I can't believe I didn't even think of this and I wanted to see if they thought I needed to have formula in the house just in case.

I'll have a look at your suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The three issues are that the milk ducts have been severed and may not be patent, the nerves that send messages form the boob to the brain have probably been damaged, and these control let down, (although milk production itself is initially locally controlled and to do with how much milk is removed), and how much milk making breast tissue there is. Until you give it a go you never know. The important time will be the first six weeks. If you can afford it you might want to hire an LC to come to the hospital at birth and to see you for the first few weeks. Can you squeeze any colostrum out? Have you noticed changes in your breasts over pregnancy?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding after a breast reduction

I'm in the same situation, I'm hoping it all works when bubs is born. They took 3kg's out at the time, and up until recently I've not had much feeling in the nipple area but seem to now. Fingers crossed for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swampy For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (08-11-2012)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a breast reduction to one breast and also have scar tissue across my other breast from other chest surgery.

I breast fed for three years. I did not get any help for the first 6 weeks, and was expressing after every feed to ensure milk supply stabilised. After this time I finally was able to see a lactation consultant.

I also had the nipple removed and a chunk of the breast removed from underneath.

The longer between surgery and attempting to BF is better as it gives the breast time to heal and recover.

All you will have to do is try and remember that a lot more people have BF after surgery than people expect.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (08-11-2012),SPC  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breastfeeding after a breast reduction

My friend had a breast reduction and she couldn't feed wither of her kids. Sorry...not much help!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have had heaps of excellent advice, but I wanted to add that I had a breast reduction 7 years before my DD was born, and my little one is breastfeeding as I speak! She's never had a drop of formula.

Check out bfar.org and also Defining Your Own Success - Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction by Diana West. I have a copy if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This podcast might be helpful too: The Boob Group

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Sally 1981,

I know your post was a while ago but just read it and found it really helpful. So how did you end up going??? I'm curious as I am due in 8 days and like you had a breast reduction (mine was about 12 years ago and very extensive like yours)

Would love to hear how you went and any pointers (forgive the pun!!)