Do you have any recipes that have been passed down in your family? Please share!
I have two recipes that have been passed down - Dutch salad (I'm sure thats not the actual name of it, but my grandma on mums side used to have this often as a child in Holland, and we just refer to it as Dutch salad), and mushroom meatballs (passed down from my nan on dads side). They have been adapted a bit, but basically remain the same.
(this one is a family favourite!)
- 8 or so potatoes
- jar of mayo
- large tin of salmon/tuna
- small tin of mackerel
- small jar red cocktail onions
- half jar of bread and butter cucumbers
- 3 or 4 chopped shallots
- 6 boiled eggs, chopped
- can of peas and carrots (optional)
- Cut potatoes into small chunks and boil til soft.Drain and leave to cool.
- Add jar of mayo and mash.
- Stir in rest of ingredients, adding fish last.
- leave in fridge overnight to chill (do not serve warm)
(Really good in winter!)
- 8 or so potatoes, diced
- 500g mince
- can of Campbell's mushroom soup
- large bag of mushrooms, sliced
- bacon pieces
- 3 or 4 shallots, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 180
- Form mince into small meatballs, spread evenly on a shallow baking dish
- Fill in all the gaps between the meatballs with diced potato.
- Evenly cover with bacon pieces, shallots, and then mushrooms. Season with a bit of salt.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the mushroom soup with half a tin of milk
- Pour this mix evenly over the baking dish.
- Cook in oven uncovered for 1 hour, or until potatoes in centre of the dish are soft.
- Serve hot
I realize that I don't have precise measurements - I've been cooking these for years, so I just kind of add the ingredients until it looks right lol.
Interested to see the different kinds of recipes that have been passed down