+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To delay bedtime or not?

DD is 16wks old. She usually goes to bed around 7pm but is often so exhausted that it becomes 6pm. She wakes up at 330ish for a feed and is then up at 530/6 fod the day.

Im wondering if its worth trying to delay her bedtime in an attempt to make her wake a little later in the morning....or if the stroppyness and exhaustion that results from keeping her up is not worth it? Any tips for delaying her bedtime?

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you can only try it i suppose.. but it might not work.. some babies are very settled into their routines. when my two were newborns and they would be up at 5, I would put them in one of those swings with the lights and music and they would fall asleep very quickly again with it on... then i'd transfer them to their bassinet/cot. got to the point where i didn't need the swing anymore cos they had gotten used to going back to sleep at that time.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would try it but for a week at least before you decide it's a bad idea give her a bath a little later (if that's part if your night time routine) and try pulling out some quiet toys/ books. She is quiet little so it shouldn't take much, try sitting outside? If you have a deck or soothing like that, that always calmed my kids at got them through that last little but when they were tiny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi PB - wow I can't believe your LO is getting so big!

we have had the routine of settling for bed at 9:00 with the aim of having him asleep at 10:00 since he was 3 weeks old. Our routine is nappy change, bed clothes then feed till sleepy, fall asleep in cot. We usually have one half hour feed somewhere between 3-5. Gets up around 7 or 7:30.

to entertain him when he is starting to get tired i just cluster feed. He doesnt refuse the breast and he ends up nice and full. No crying either.

its worth a try!

we are currently trying to bring his bed time forward, but still keep only one night time feed. So far we havent been successful. He wakes twice for a feed instead of once. I will keep trying though as 9:00 asleep is better - i like to go to bed early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no harm in trying and if it doesn't work at least you know. Worked great for my sister, her 8 month old sleeps till 8am. I'm so jealous!

I have a nearly 3 year old DD and she was always an early waker, still is now. Goes to bed at 6pm, wakes at 5:45am. Goes to bed at 8pm, wakes at 5:45am and is really grumpy all day.
    I'd prefer my sanity so I've come to terms with being up early...means myself and DH get adult hours together in the evening .
    The frustrating thing with babies I found was as soon as you think you know what they want/need, they go and change it. Joys of parenthood

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Taiyed!! Good to hear from you....hope everythings going well x

Thanks ladies. Ive decided she's going to be like Karen2010's DD....it seems no matter what time she goes to bed, she wakes up at the same time. So we'll just roll with it. The last two nights she's been asleep by 630pm and awake at 6am so thats not too bad. And its nice having the night to ourselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This is exactly the same as my bub (20 weeks). I don't let him start the day then though lol! The only thing that works is bringing him into bed with me. He then dozes with us until about 7.30am!!! Could you try this?

I can't delay his bedtime as he just gets so tired. He doesn't sleep much in the day either. The few times he has stayed up a bit later he has totally cracked it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: To delay bedtime or not?

DH does shift work so its hard for me to bring her into the bed as some days he might not get home until 3am. 6am is bearable....!

She, too, is a poor day sleeper. Its so frustrating. It just means by 530pm shes completely shattered and very easy to put down

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Gosh, DS is a bad daytime sleeper too - maybe its a trait of all the due in July 2012 babies my DS has never been a sleepy baby...

Thanks
    Reviews

It doesn't matter what time Hunter goes to bed, he always wakes at the same time in the mornings! If he's not in bed by 7 he is one cranky boy. I put him down at 7, dream feed at 10, he sleeps through until 5:30 when I resettle him or bring him to my bed and he wakes around 8.