+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default help please - 5mth old cold...

my 5 mth old ds has a runny nose, you can hear hes all blocked up, hes got a cough and yesterday had 2 nappies of runny poos and hes totally miserable... im giving him panadol and baths, but just dont know what else to do to make him feel better... hes just crying and wont sleep, he wants his dummy but cant breathe when he puts it in his mouth so spits it out... i dont know what else to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Take him to the doctor. It is quite possible there is something bothering him that u can't see. Like his throat or ears. Or it could just be one of those times they are just really unsettled. Teething could also be making him cranky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: help please - 5mth old cold...

Its not nice when theyre sick We tried almost everything with DS because he had a really bad runny nose, crying all the time, really stuffy and couldnt breathe properly especially with his dummy in (he needed it to sleep so wasnt sleeping either). The best thing we did was use a vapouriser, it was amazing! The first night we used it DS slept through and his symptoms started getting better straight away. I hope your DS feels better soon

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If he's all blocked up get one of those sudafed vapour plug-ins. They're great for clearing the sinus so they can sleep. I find them more effective than the steam vaporizer. DD gets horribly congested sometimes and they really help.

Otherwise, just lots of fluids and ride it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We take ds into the shower and close the doors and windows so it gets really steamy. It really gets the snot out. Then Vicks on his chest and elevated sleeping. It's just awful though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: help please - 5mth old cold...

Vicks do a baby version (or did when my son was a baby) but we used to put it on the souls of his feet.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Elevate his matress a little where his head is, rub some baby vics on his feet (this worked a treat with DS) make sure you put socks on him though and I use the brauers cold and flue relieve, it is homeopathic.
    Good luck I hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews

Lil noses from chemist do a saline spray and snot sucker. Baby Vicks, vapouriser and panadol. Lots of fluids too. If they have a temp then take to docs just in case it's something more serious. Hope he feels better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with all pp but will also add that I have found the saline spray brand Baby FLO to be very effective as it sprays at any angle which can make all the difference with little ones. It means you can spray them while they are lying down.

I found with DS (who has been very nasal since birth and had Bronchiolitis at least 5 times between 6-12months) that if I heard him getting very blocked I could spray him while he was still asleep and it would often help clear his airway and allow him to sleep a little longer.

Good luck, it is very tough having an unwell baby. A very helpless feeling.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Vicks isn't recommended for children under 2
    Actually Vicks baby basalm is for babies over 3 months to 5 years

11. The Following User Says Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (07-11-2012)