+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do u get out & about with a newborn?

Thanks ladies, unfortunately we had already brought a pram & carseat that don't go together so would b too expensive to change them now :-(

I always feed him just before we leave, we went out yesterday (just to do some shopping) and bubs didn't sleep in the pram so by the time we got home we had a very overtired bub. I guess it will just take a while for him to get used to it & b able to sleep in the pram etc.

I seen so many other mums with sleeping babies taking their time looking in shops & all looking relaxed & happy and we were running around like crazy people trying to get everything before DS started crying!
    Last edited by EternalOptimist; 11-11-2012 at 08:42.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ohh hun,

Have just seen your post. I have no words of wisdom for you, I really hope your little man settles for you. Will inbox you. X

Thanks
    Reviews

I know it can sound like a broken record but have you tried a baby carrier or sling?
    My DS would not sleep in pram, but if I needed to go out, I would just put him in the Ergo and he would sleep while I walked around.
    I even went to cafes and would sit down and have a juice and a muffin and a chat with friends and he would sleep.
    Most times he would wake up when i put him back in the car, but at least he had had a nap.

Hope you find something that works for you. Having a new baby can feel very isolating. Xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewbaby For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was hard with my first. It was a mission, feed then shower, then get ready, then by then feed again then leave lol.

It definitely gets easier, but the way I got around it was two fold.

A) I really didn't get out much in that first 6-8 weeks... I was sore, tired, etc and just wanted to stay home... not always easy if you're getting a bit stir crazy in the house.

B) I'd feed whenever he was unsettled when we were out. Either the car in the car park, or parents feeding rooms. Took a while to get used to cos i had large milk carriers LOL... but we got there in the end.

Do you try a dummy at all? That might help for the car rides.

Good luck, it really will get easier

Thanks
    Reviews

With the car/capsule we hired a capsule that attached to our pram for six months and got a normal car seat for DH's car. We are returning the capsule this week as DD is now six months and have bought a second car seat for my car. Anyway... I still look at babies and mums shopping peacefully and think why not us! But DD can stay awake semi happily for a a couple hours now so it has gotten heaps better.

Thanks
    Reviews

The capsule attachment was great!!! I used to pop him in, rock the capsule to fall asleep then head out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'd also suggest you shower and dress (basically) before your partner leaves for work in the morning if possible.

I used to get fully ready for the day at 5.30am so DH could attend to the kids for half hour when both girls were little. It was nice to have a good hot shower and put make up on. I'd just change my shirt on the way out the door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand your pain! I used to get what I called Baby Envy when out and about, when I would see babies happy to sleep in their pram while mine hated the pram, hated the car seat, hated everything but being carried, and eventually insisted on being forward facing all the time! She's so much better now. I agree with those here, get a comfortable carrier

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My Bubs hates the capsule too! But after a couple times of having to go out with no choice, I realized that once in there, and then in the car and moving all is good. Maybe trying doing a test just around the block or so to see if they will fall asleep after a couple minutes of crying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Baby carrier!!

Neither of my bubs have ever slept in the pram out shopping. But warm and comfy in the carrier they are calm and will often drift off.

I couldn't have survived without my baby carriers/wraps!