+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do u get out & about with a newborn?

What do u ladies do if u have to go out & bubs is asleep? My DS wakes up when I try & put him in the car midway thru a sleep then screams & won't resettle. I now don't go places unless it coincidently coincides with when he has just fed.

Feeling very trapped at the moment & can't plan anything :-(

Thanks
    Reviews

Some bubs are just not 'transferable'! And some like my DD never sleep in the pram either I'd try and say to people that could be flexible that I'd text them when bubs wakes to meet them so that I wouldn't have to wake her but you can't always do this. But sometimes you will have to wake bubs as you won't be able to avoid it.

Thanks
    Reviews

How old is bubs? My DD is 6 months now and can stay awake for longer but u remember just putting her in the car some days because I just had to get out. The stage passes, hang in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I just went places after he woke up. Are you bf? If you are, you could just feed him before you pop him in the capsule an he may go back to sleep. Or if you know you need to be somewhere, and he's due for a sleep, could you go early so he is asleep in the capsule already? I used to stick my ds in the capsule an the pram and walk around for a bit if I needed to be somewhere at a certain time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Luckily for us our bub doesn't unsettle when moved around when sleeping. She wakes very briefly but will then doze off again in the car seat or pram. I hope getting out and about gets easier for you soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I just put them in the car and when stop I fed and cuddle. I don't have the choice of staying home as the other kids still need to get to and from school and appointments. Bub will get used to it eventually. It is really hard but you will get there. It's only time I let my bubs cry. I hate every minute of it but life just doesn't stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I appreciate your problem. Never had it but so many of my friends did. People are usually understanding and if you can handle short trips of screaming then that may be the best you have. I also found these friends just walked everywhere with the pram, where they didn't bother with the transferring.

Thanks
    Reviews

We also had a capsule that fitted the pram on the rare occasions that we could transfer DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I second the capsule! If you know you are going out can you put bub down for a nap in the capsule? Can't stay in them too long though of course.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS is 13 weeks old, so we have just grown out of that newborn stage. We used to just put DS in the capsule then lug the capsule around everywhere. If he fell asleep in it we would leave him in it (with supervision of course). A few times I fed him then put him in the capsule to drift off, then put him in the car.

As a pp said, some mums (like me) just walk and take the pram. We know all of our local shops now! Much easier than trying to do a trip in the car.

I also used my ergo carrier when we got to our destination if he was awake and crying. Being snuggled up in the carrier would calm him down within a couple of minutes. He'd drift off and I could get on with the shopping, cafe chatting etc.

I found DS grew out of it at around 10 weeks old. Since then we have been able to go out heaps. I just make sure i feed him just before we go so he's nice and blissed out and I keep a bottle of expressed milk in my handbag just in case. I find a little bit of milk calms him down if he is a bit ratty.

Don't worry OP, the feeling will pass and you'll be able to get out and about more easily. Just hang in there.