+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one with Rabodirect it's an online bank. To transfer out you need you pin pad and it will only let you transfer to a linked account.
    I have been with Rabo for ages saved for my wedding with it and now have $5000 so far for the baby that's yet to be conceived!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Savings account you can't withdraw from?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I've a high interest saver with ING. It's good because it takes 24 hrs to move money, so if I want something, I have to wait 24 hrs and I rarely want something enough to wait!
    Yep this! It works for us, because if you have to wait to get the money you stop and think do I REALLY need that.. . But still easy enough to get for emergencies and such

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolandac31 View Post
    I have one with Rabodirect it's an online bank. To transfer out you need you pin pad and it will only let you transfer to a linked account.
    I have been with Rabo for ages saved for my wedding with it and now have $5000 so far for the baby that's yet to be conceived!
    Great to hear your savings plan is on track Yolanda. What is your secret?

Thanks
    Reviews

Double signature account? Easy to get to in an emergency, but you have to convince the second signatory first :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the ING account.

When I asked commonwealth about a account I couldn't take money out if (for the kids) they suggested I didn't get the cards so I'd have to go into the bank to take money out, then they linked them to my personal account

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks for everyone's replies. I do already have online savings accounts that take a few days to transfer out, but that still doesnt deter me if I want the money.
    I was more thinking of an account which is well and truly locked, and the only way I can access my money is to charge me $100 or something. Then if it is a serious emergency I can still get it, but it would take a lot for me to waste $100!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Can you get your parents or someone you trust to save it on your behalf? When I was a poor uni student I opened an account both my dad and I had to sign for to withdraw the money. So if it was a good reason, it would be fine, but if it was just to buy smokes/wine (which at that age it probably was), I wouldn't bother with getting dad to come to the bank with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hmm the double signature account might work. DH then would have to come with me, and seeing as though he works 8-5 Monday to Friday he'd have to take time off work to do it, so it would have to be very important! He also wouldn't let me do it unless he really thought it was a good idea, as he is much more frugal than me. Thanks, ill give it a go! I really really want to go to America for a holiday before we have another child in a few years so I need to do some serious saving!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes I'm with NAB and I have saved $5000 so far

It has 4.5% interest I think atm it's called an isaver and you just ask them to put a block on it I can't withdraw money without physically going into the bank. (Which is inconvenience for me) so I don't even touch it. Once the money leaves my other bank acc I don't even notice btw You can't transfer money to bills from this account either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaboDirect View Post
    Great to hear your savings plan is on track Yolanda. What is your secret?
    I have set up automatic transfers from my usual account on pay day so I don't miss the money as I never see it. $250 a fortnight at the moment.

if I'm feeling poor I will just cancel a scheduled transfer.