+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Riddle me this... How does full body autonomy allow you to determine the fate of a baby once it's out if your body? The notion of full body autonomy may allow a woman to choose to expel a baby from her body, but when others of the same gestation are being given every chance in the NICU, why shouldn't they be afforded the same chance?

I am completely pro-choice, but I don't believe this extends to determining the fate of a viable baby.
    This is a very valid argument Once the child is born/expelled/whatever it is no longer part of the woman's body. Where does that fit with bodily autonomy for the child? I'm not really making a call either way, just mulling it over.

Whatever my opinions on it, they will never change. But I support choice. I do find late term abortion without medical reasons very hard to understand, infact having an abortion full stop goes against every moral fiber of my being. But the bottom line is, I don't have to understand, nor should they need my approval. I used to try to comprehend why a woman would abort her own child... and I couldn't find what I considered a good answer. Now I just have empathy. I had a medically necessary procedure a few months ago which tore my world apart. So while it wasn't choice but necessity, I can imagine an elective abortion must come with much emotion, even from a woman that is sure.

The dangers of non professional abortions are one of the reasons I support choice. They are always going to happen, no matter what. better done with a dr, with meds, clean instruments then both the mother and the baby dying.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I dont agree with infanticide, I'm not sure where that came from really as this is a discussion re terminations. My point earlier was that any parent with an extremely sick baby has a choice of not having medical intervention to keep the baby alive if there is to be no quality of life, but there is no option to..........

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio View Post
    I don't think terminations past 24 weeks should be legal. The only reason I can think of is if the baby would not survive once it is born.

I also can't understand terminations at any gestation though. I just feel sad for the baby and all the potential it had.
    What about the potential the woman had for her life prepregnancy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma1234 View Post
    When you get pregnant it is no longer about just you. Also I saw my babies heart beat at 6 weeks and could never have aborted him even though we were not TTC. just my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I agree it's not just about you, it's also about your other children, your partner, your family. Having another child impacts more that just the woman while it should ALWAYS be the womans choice alone the impact of an unplanned pregnancy extends further than just the unborn child.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    No i know but I was waiting for the comment on this thread "you're an infertile women so you think you should force women to have babies they don't want and give them up for adoption to people who can't have babies" it always pops up.
    I do not support the statement you have mentioned but I do hear a lot of 'there are plenty of infertile couples or loving families who are desperate for a baby' It's probably where what you mentioned came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think abortion should be safe and available for women who want them, for any reason they want and they shouldn't have to explain their reasons. I guess though, i don't think it should be legal an any gestation (which it's not currently).

I can't put an abortion at 3 months and an abortion at 8 months in the same basket. At some point, the rights of the child surely should at least be considered as well as that of the mother. I didn't realise being "pro choice" meant you had to approve of having an abortion as late as you want, when the child is almost fully developed. It's a tough grey area.
    When you give rights to the unborn child you take the rights away from the woman. Can you see the ripple effect of giving rights to an unborn child?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    When you give rights to the unborn child you take the rights away from the woman. Can you see the ripple effect of giving rights to an unborn child?
    I believe when we're talking about a healthy baby at 8 months gestation, you do need to consider the rights of that child once it has been born. As I said before, giving a woman the right to abort her pregnancy does not necessarily equate to giving her the right to terminate the baby's life.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (10-11-2012),Giggle  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Interesting true story on Abortion in VIC on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    That's why it's pro choice though clementine grace. It may not sit well with you but then you just don't do it. For someone else, it might be just as ethically sound in their mind as terminating at 7 weeks.

I understand your point though as I'm not sure I could terminate at a late stage either.
    Somewhere society has to step in, say if something is unacceptable and if necessary overule the right of the individual. I think if you put a vote to the people the majority would say abortion past 20 week for anything other that severe medical issues is ******

You can't stand by and let something abhorrent continue just because others think its OK. Under that theory, why not give the next Hitler free reign?
    Last edited by VicPark; 09-11-2012 at 19:16.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Late term abortions are generally not carried out on healthy pregnancies except in extraordinary circumstances- fetal abnormality and psychosocial reasons. LTA aren't handed out like lollies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Late term abortions are generally not carried out on healthy pregnancies except in extraordinary circumstances- fetal abnormality and psychosocial reasons. LTA aren't handed out like lollies.
    They shouldn't be handed out at all except for severe medical issues (and I don't count psychological reasons).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Somewhere society has to step in, say if something is unacceptable and if necessary overule the right of the individual. I think if you put a vote to the people the majority would say abortion past 20 week for anything other that severe medical issues is ******

You can't stand by and let something abhorrent continue just because others think its OK. Under that theory, why not give the next Hitler free reign?
    Would you be ok with being forced to do something that goes against every grain in your body because society felt it was the right thing to do? How about being forced to terminate a pregnancy, like what happens in china with the one child policy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    They shouldn't be handed out at all except for severe medical issues (and I don't count psychological reasons).
    I didn't say psychological.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the reality lta occurs in less than 1% of abortions, and I would imagine an abortion at 8 months is highly unlikely? It's interesting though when you look into the stats behind lta it is predominantly psychological reasons (didn't realise so far along, unavailability of the procedure, lack of support for the abortion earlier) and not medical.

If anything doing IVF has made me even more pro-choice as the thought of a baby being raised by parents that didn't want it chills me.