+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    I guess the whole point is it should be up to the woman herself to decide when that time is.

As for the baby, it does have rights. The moment it is born, before that point the mother must always come first. Some may say this is selfish, to me it is just common sense, my body, my choice.
    I can see your point in this. I wonder though, how late is too late? What if the baby is born breathing for whatever reason? Do you save it then? Or not because the mother didn't want it. I just find it grey area which is very hard to put limits on. That is all my point was, that i wasn't sure where you should draw the line because surely it has to be drawn somewhere. Dr's would not perform an abortion at 8.5 months just because the mother didn't want it. Where do you draw the line?

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that is it, your body, your choice, my body, my choice.

What I don't want is women being forced into anything, there must always be choices. Without choices when it comes to unwanted pregnancy, I shudder to think what would happen. Imo it's a very slippery slope.
    I do see your point. What do you think is reasonable then? Should a woman be able to have an abortion at say 7 or 8 months pregnant because its her body? I'm really interested to know where people would draw the line. Do you think it's ethical to terminate at say 8 months gestation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I can see your point in this. I wonder though, how late is too late? What if the baby is born breathing for whatever reason? Do you save it then? Or not because the mother didn't want it. I just find it grey area which is very hard to put limits on. That is all my point was, that i wasn't sure where you should draw the line because surely it has to be drawn somewhere. Dr's would not perform an abortion at 8.5 months just because the mother didn't want it. Where do you draw the line?
    I believe it is up to the mother where the line is drawn. Since she will be the one left to deal with the consequences of an unplanned pregnancy.

I don't have to agree with late term abortion, to understand that some woman just don't feel the same way I do, nor are they in the same position as me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (09-11-2012),SassyMummy  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe it is up to the mother where the line is drawn. Since she will be the one left to deal with the consequences of an unplanned pregnancy.

I don't have to agree with late term abortion, to understand that some woman just don't feel the same way I do, nor are they in the same position as me.
    Fair enough. So you think that if a mother changes her mind for whatever reason, she should be entitled to an abortion in the last month of pregnancy? I mean that it should be legal for her to be able to do that? Do you think there would there be ramifications on doctors or nurses who had to perform that procedure? I guess i mean emotional ramifications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fair enough. So you think that if a mother changes her mind for whatever reason, she should be entitled to an abortion in the last month of pregnancy? I mean that it should be legal for her to be able to do that? Do you think there would there be ramifications on doctors or nurses who had to perform that procedure? I guess i mean emotional ramifications.
    If it stopped her from seeking an illegal backyard abortion then yes I do.

As for doctors and nurses, I am sure it wouldn't be a nice thing to have to do. Though you do choose to work in particular areas with both professions so I guess you wouldn't apply for that kind of work to begin with. Just like not all doctors like to work in emergency. etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently went to a talk by the genetics department at my local hospital. And it was actually quite interesting to hear the 'true' statistics for abortion in SA.

But even more interesting - apparently there are 1-2 'epic-late-term' abortions (aka, post 24 weeks - usually 25-26weeks) performed for a very good reason, in the state each year.
    So not just, mum cbf having a baby. (although i would still kind of agree with her getting it if she so chose) - but yeah.

I always thought vic was the only one who would do late-late terms.

[and no i haven't watched the video yet - i WILL. so thankyou for sharing. just need to find time. apparently poppa is about to take the toddler off my hands for a few hours though ]

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it stopped her from seeking an illegal backyard abortion then yes I do.

As for doctors and nurses, I am sure it wouldn't be a nice thing to have to do. Though you do choose to work in particular areas with both professions so I guess you wouldn't apply for that kind of work to begin with. Just like not all doctors like to work in emergency. etc.
    fair enough, each to their own. I guess i find it sad the the rights of the baby are not even considered at all, especially when the mother could just leave the baby in the hospital and never see it again (which some women do). I guess i can't see what possible justification you could use to euthanise a full term human baby (because that is essentially what would have to happen) just because a woman doesn't want it, but that's only my point of view.

I'm very interested to see that other women think that it should be legal, i wouldn't have thought many people would but i guess i was wrong.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (09-11-2012),atomicmama  (09-11-2012),CazHazKidz  (12-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (09-11-2012),squirrelex  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    fair enough, each to their own. I guess i find it sad the the rights of the baby are not even considered at all, especially when the mother could just leave the baby in the hospital and never see it again (which some women do). I guess i can't see what possible justification you could use to euthanise a full term human baby (because that is essentially what would have to happen) just because a woman doesn't want it, but that's only my point of view.

I'm very interested to see that other women think that it should be legal, i wouldn't have thought many people would but i guess i was wrong.

I think your way of thinking is actually the majority.

I am not going to go in to detail about why, but I am very much pro-choice. And as Gandalf pointed out the amount of late term abortions is actually very low. So that would mean it is only used in extreme or certain circumstances. I just don't want that choice taken away. Ever.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (09-11-2012),headoverfeet  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Interesting true story on Abortion in VIC on ABC

I have always been pro choice. But I also think a line has to be drawn with a termination of more than 20 weeks(if not necessary for medical reasons). It is a very grey area.
    If you have a still born baby(classified as 20 weeks gestation or more) then it's a legal requirement to arrange a burial or cremation. Seems some ethical lines are rather crossed here.

I understand the pain women go through having to make a decision to have a termination, but for those who just haven't got around to it 6 months into the pregnancy is a little hard to swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Interesting true story on Abortion in VIC on ABC

Other than for medical reasons, I can't see how it is possibly reasonable to just decide to abort a baby after 20 weeks.. There is plenty of time to make that choice in the first trimester.