+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Interesting true story on Abortion in VIC on ABC

Well this thread got interesting and I am a tad lost.

However I think that each individual situation should be assessed on its own merit. I'm not for late term abortions (i just couldnt do it) however I can understand why someone might need to have one and it isn't up to me to judge them on their own decision, nor anyone stop them receiving one as long as it was thoroughly thought out and reasons were genuine and required. Not just "I changed my mind".

I am however of the opinion that someone should have the right to decide about abortions and their own body. It's not up to me to judge or anyone else. I think that they should just be able to discuss their choices and make a thorough and accurate decision for their personal circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    But forcing her to continue the pregnancy will mean she has a constant reminder of her assault, and not like a little trinket, she'll be the mother to a child that every time she looks at that child she may be reminded of the time she was violated. No pre-choice person is saying "come on down and get your abortions! woot woot!" Abortion is ugly and in a perfect world it would never happen, the unfortunate fact is that the alternative no abortion under any circumstance is even more horrid and ugly so pro-choice is just the less of the two evils. No 14 year old should ever have to make such a major decision but in this instance at least the girl has the option of having an abortion and (hopefully) putting the matter behind her, moving on and getting back to being a 14 year old girl.

I think you may also find that a woman who is dead-set on having an abortion would not even consider the contents of her womb to be a baby or the potential to be a baby. It may well be considered just a collection of cells that needs to be removed.
    I think what Vic park is getting at is this ( i may be wayy off the mark) - what makes the rape worse than the killing of another innocent victim? Why should the baby pay for the crime of its father?

Also the abortion could cause the 14 yr old more emotional and possibly physical damage than carrying the child. That child is still part of its mother. Just cause the father is a rapist doesnt make the baby less of a part of the 14 year old mother. Because the baby is a product of a rape doesnt mean the mother will despise the child or not be able to love it. How can you say for sure that an abortion would be the lesser of two evils?

Abortion can scar for life, and it does. Ive seen threads on this forum where people have admitted that the guilt eats away at them years and years later

Does that make sense? Im just going over in my mind what i think Vicpark is getting at.

Its too late my brain is moosh right now.

Carry on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    It's wrong because women are not incubators. My uterus and my life is mine and mine alone whom I choose to share it with is my choice and no one else's.
    I actually agree with this. I think most replying in this thread are pro choice but have a hard time comprehending late terms except for babies that are incompatible with life. Bc a baby at 8 months can survive without the mother, which cancels out the pro choice argument of the acorn analogy that basically they aren't a baby and need the mother to exist.

While I understand your stance I think it's important to point out other people have a right to their opinions. You may not agree, but many may not agree with you too.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (09-11-2012),Californication  (10-11-2012),Clementine Grace  (09-11-2012),Mod-Degrassi  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I actually agree with this. I think most replying in this thread are pro choice but have a hard time comprehending late terms except for babies that are incompatible with life. Bc a baby at 8 months can survive without the mother, which cancels out the pro choice argument of the acorn analogy that basically they aren't a baby and need the mother to exist.

While I understand your stance I think it's important to point out other people have a right to their opinions. You may not agree, but many may not agree with you too.
    very well said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    What do you mean it's a fallacy? Do you mean that no woman who is dead-set on not continuing a pregnancy would not think this? It may well be a coping mechanism but it doesn't change or invalidate how she views the contents of her uterus.
    I wholeheartedly agree that every woman does and is allowed to have a different stance on what a baby means to them i.e. some it's cells, others it's a baby. I think the point being made by VicPark (which I'm not sure I agree with, but have in the past) is that women tell themselves it's just cells, not bc they truely believe that (which in my mind is perfectly valid even if I don't agree), but bc it's something they tell themselves to make aborting the baby easier. Again, I can understand that. The point being made though... I think lol... is do they honestly believe that, or is it just an excuse/defence mechanism/euphemism they create for themselves to accept things? The former as I say, I can fully accept. The latter? I find those are the women that go on to really regret their abortions and have that nagging thing in the back of their head.

It's late, so I hope that makes sense lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm not sure what site you were looking at but the sexual health and family planning association of Australia has info on the different legislation in each state

State/Territory
    Abortion law

Queensland and New South Wales
    Abortion is a crime for women and doctors. It is only legal when a doctor believes that a woman’s physical and/or mental health is in serious danger. In NSW social, economic and medical factors may be taken into account.

Australian Capital Territory
    Abortion is legal if provided by medical doctor.

Victoria
    Abortion is legal up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. It is legal post-24 weeks, with two doctors’ approval.

South Australia and Tasmania
    Abortion is legal if two doctors agree that a woman’s physical and/or mental health is endangered by pregnancy, or for serious fetal abnormality. Counseling is compulsory in Tasmania.

Western Australia
    Abortion is legal up to 20 weeks, with some restrictions, particularly for women aged under 16 years. Abortion is very restricted after 20 weeks.

Northern Territory
    Abortion is legal up to 14 weeks of pregnancy if 2 doctors agree that woman’s physical and/or mental health is endangered by pregnancy, or for serious fetal abnormality. Abortion is legal up to 23 weeks in an emergency.
    Oh my god, up to 24 weeks is legal in Victoria? That's so sad, I've looked after so many 23 and 24 weeker babies in NICU. Surely they would only allow termination that late in extreme circumstances? I'm very much for women having the right to choose, but I do find it hard to swallow that they could terminate a baby of viable gestation at 24 weeks.. =/ (unless under extreme circumstances of course)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy&Woof View Post
    Oh my god, up to 24 weeks is legal in Victoria? That's so sad, I've looked after so many 23 and 24 weeker babies in NICU. Surely they would only allow termination that late in extreme circumstances? I'm very much for women having the right to choose, but I do find it hard to swallow that they could terminate a baby of viable gestation at 24 weeks.. =/ (unless under extreme circumstances of course)
    just because it *can* happen, does not mean its common or routine.
    It just means that if the option *is needed* (and if you've looked after 24weekers in nicu, i'm sure you've also looked after cases where the neonate was not going to survive) it is there.

As i stated in a previous post, despite it not being spelled out in the law - SA does occasionally have GTOPS even several weeks past 24 weeks.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 10-11-2012 at 01:00.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Should the baby be given the option to remain alive I think that decision should belong to the woman just as the decision to withhold or give care remains with the parents of premie babies.
    This decision is only available to the parents up until a certain gestational age.

Thanks
    Reviews

I will never believe I am an incubator.

I will never believe that forcing a woman to have a child she doesn't want is a "greater good." It's not like humanity is an endangered species.

I will never believe that the rights of an unborn foetus using my body to survive deserves more rights than I do.

I will never understand how some women think that forcing a rape victim to carry and birth a child is at all a good idea.

I will never understand how some women see motherhood as a punishment you should cop if you choose (or even if you don't choose to) to have sex.

I will never understand how mothers could sit by and tell their 11-year-old daughter that she will be continuing her pregnancy as a result of rape because its for the greater good.

I will never understand how some people think so little of a woman's right to make choices about the contents of her own body.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (10-11-2012),ChickyBee  (10-11-2012),headoverfeet  (10-11-2012),onionskin  (10-11-2012),wrena  (11-11-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with every point you make Sassy

My only issue with late term abortion remains the fact that in theory we are talking about a self-sustaining child, and I don't believe a woman's right to bodily autonomy extends to determining that child's fate once they're no longer in her body.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (10-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-11-2012)