+ Reply to Thread
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do u wake ur newborn?

Hi,

My DS is now 4 weeks old & when I was in hospital plus the MCHN all said not to let bub go longer than 4 hours in the day without a feed. Bub is putting on loads of weight so no issues there but is a very unsettled bub. I was talking to my mum and DH mum & they both said to never wake a sleeping baby & he will wake when he is ready. There would probably only be 1 - 2 times a day I have needed to wake him for a 4 hour feed but think I'm doing the wrong thing now.

So just wondering do u wake ur bub for feeds or wait til they wake up?

At night it's supposed to be no more than 6 hours but my DS never goes that long :-(

Thanks
    Reviews

The rule at the hospital I work at, is as long as the baby has no medical issues then the baby can be left for up to 8 hours between feeds. I was told that when I recently had my baby too. I think I personally would start stressing though after 6 hours and probably wake him up for a feed but only when he's a newborn, he's a month now and I wish he'd go 6 hours! As long as there are no medical issues then a baby will wake when it's hungry, so I wouldn't stress too much if he goes a bit longer than four hours. My DS has gone 5 hours between feeds since birth and is gaining heaps of weight!

Addit - just read your DS is 4 weeks too, I definitely wouldn't wake him for a 4 hrly feed! Just wait for him to wake up, he'll tell you when he's hungry. Like I said my DS is 4 weeks and he goes 5 occasionally 6 hours
    Last edited by SpicyTurtle; 07-11-2012 at 07:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If he is gaining weight and has enough wet and dirty nappies I wouldn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told the same thing when DS was a newborn - no longer than 4 hours during the day and 6 at night. DS slept heaps in his first few weeks, so I was waking him all the time to feed. After posting a similar q on BH I stopped waking him! He was gaining weight really well, feeding well, happy and alert when he was awake. If your LO is all of the above, and there are no other health issues, don't wake him, he will wake when he is hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews

There will be people on both sides of the camp on this one...
    Personally, my ds could not be woken. Nothing I did could wake him. I would end up putting the boob in his mouth and trying to manipulate him to swallow but he just wouldn't. He wouldn't ever have a dream feed. My daughter was different.

Anyway, he started sleeping 12hrs over night at 4 weeks old, and when I found I couldn't stir him, I started setting an alarm to pump. I did that for a while and then I just hated the fact that I was awake and he wasn't, so I stopped and my supply stayed strong until 4 months.

I've had two now, and my supply just seems to stop at 4 months no matter what. Even motillium only helped a little.

So no, I wouldn't wake a baby, especially not one who is already 4 weeks. Provided there are no medical concerns I truly believe they wake when they're hungry. Vaughn put on weight veeerrryy nicely even with his 12 hour sleeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told at my hospital that the maximum 4-6 hour feed rule is mainly in the first few days when you need to establish your milk supply. The bub needs to keep sucking to produce milk so shouldn't go more than 6 hours between feeds.

I think at 4 weeks, if you have a good milk supply and bub is gaining weight and appears healthy, let them sleep! Make the most of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is something I have been struggling with too. I spoke with child health last week and they told me to wake my LO (he is now two weeks old) after 3 hours during the day as he wakes every 1-2 hrs during the night for a feed so he is getting most of his food during the day. And then I can let him go 3-3.5hrs at night.

I've always been told you never wake a sleeping baby and I feel horrible waking him so I've kind of just been taking each time as it comes. Generally he won't go longer than 3-3.5hrs between feeds during the day anyway and wakes up himself (hasn't changed anything at night though). Although last night he did manage to go 2 hourly instead of hourly. I think half the reason he wakes so often during the night is because he isn't feeding for long. I'm lucky to get him to feed for 10 mins most of the time.

Like the pp's have said, if he is having enough wet and dirty nappies and is gaining weight then I'd say he is healthy enough. As I have been told recently with my own concerns, trust your instincts. You know your baby better than anyone else.

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

no matter how hard I tried I couldn't wake my dd for a feed when she was a nb. she had wet/dirty nappies each feed, was content and had no jaundice so I just let her wake up when she was hungry. this worked better for both of us.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies ladies. He is healthy, alert when awake etc so no worries with any medical issues so I guess I'll just let him go & wait for him wake, it's only one occasion a day as he generally wakes every 3 hours for a feed anyway.

What do u ladies do if u have to go out & bubs is asleep? My DS wakes up when I try & put him in the car midway thru a sleep then screams & won't resettle. I now don't go places unless it coincidently coincides with when he has just fed :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Catch 22. if you don't wake him and you are BF you are asking for Mastitis. If you do wake him you feel guilty.

I was talking to the lactose consultant and they also said wake him every 3-4 hours but the reason she told me to do it was I was having problems latching him and he wasn't getting enough food to give him the energy to wake and feed. If you aren't having that problem then the choice is yours.

I have DD on a 4 hour cycle and I do wake him. My milk has come in and my boobs hurt if he doesn't feed on the cycle. I don't feel guilty at all. If my boobs get too big I have a bigger problem latching him on.

I live by the rule of "cause and affect".