+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you introduce a dummy?

12 week old DS has never been offered a dummy, not because I'm against them but because I don't like the idea of having to get up and replace it at night. He's been mostly sleeping through and his day sleeps are improving (was a terrible catnapper), but he is an absolute terror to take out. As soon as the pram stops (and even sometimes when it's still moving) he cracks it. It makes it very difficult to sit and enjoy a coffee or a meal, let alone to stop at the checkout in the supermarket where he always makes a scene. Do you think a dummy might help in these situations? Is it possible to use one in these situations only and not ruin his good sleeping at home? Or would I be mad to introduce one now that we've come so far without one?

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Maybe he just has wind which is causing the catnaps? And the pram thing. My DS was horrid it was due to colic. I had to carry him most times and dreaded going out with friends.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    ..... he is an absolute terror to take out. As soon as the pram stops (and even sometimes when it's still moving) he cracks it. It makes it very difficult to sit and enjoy a coffee or a meal, let alone to stop at the checkout in the supermarket where he always makes a scene. Do you think a dummy might help in these situations?
    Just a thought - but maybe try using a sling for being out and about? He'll be nice and close to you and feeling snug and secure too and it might make the whole out and about experience more enjoyable for both of you. Just a thought

Thanks
    Reviews

Good memory missie mack! He's still very hot and cold with the carrier unfortunately, which I think is related to his non-cuddliness (see my other post this morning!). He'd rather be interacting with the world and overstimulating himself than cuddling. He doesn't seem to have wind pain or anything like that and the catnapping has improved a lot (now having 2x 3-4 hour day sleeps most days when home but rarely much when out). He is very prone to overstimulation which I think is the problem when out, and my mum keeps telling me a dummy would help but I don't want to go down that path if it's going to mess with his sleeping at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, sounds like you have a great thing going with bub's sleeping- sleeping through, that is wonderful! I would not introduce a dummy now- no way- you may live to regret it later if you do lol. I certainly did- my first didn't have a dummy, and whilst he would not settle when out and about, he did sleep through from 12 weeks halleluyah! My second did have a dummy, and I spent the next 3 years regretting it, especially from 6-12 months when he relied on it to sleep and I kept having to pop it back in when he woke up. This bub, now 13 weeks old- no dummy. She recently been less settled when out, but I can deal with that She is super settled at home and sleeps through the day and night when we are at home. I can have a coffee, but meals at a restaurant are out for the moment, which is ok. In my experience, dummies can be irresistable to a bub- once you introduce one, bub can become reliant on one very quickly. All the best