+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default toddler with gastro

hi all,
    DD (18 months) all of a sudden from about 9pm tonight has vomited probably 8 or so times. will go to sleep then wake up 10 minutes later and vomit again.

we called 'nurse on call' because she has never been sick like this before and we freaked out and it looks like she's picked up a bout of gastro.

we bought some gastrolite but the poor thing is terrified and we cannot for the life of us get her to take any.

every time she wakes she vomits

we don't want to be the parents that rush to the hospital for every little thing but we also don't want to leave it too late if she is dehydrated.

what do we do??! does anyone k now how we can get her to take the gastrolite? we've tried a bottle, the nurofen syringe, her favourite butterfly cup.

she won't stop crying between vomiting and sleeping... this is horrible.

should we just take her to the hospital? should we wait out the rest of the night?

if anyone has any advice...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Does she have a fever? How long has she been vomiting for?
    I know once or twice is ok but 8 or so times repeatedly I'd probably be worried and take her - what did the nurse say about the repeated vomiting?
    Will she at least drink water?

Thanks
    Reviews

Poor little thing. If it were me I think I'd give it a couple of hours, just thinking she'll be more comfortable at home than in a waiting room. Hopefully it settles down. I wonder if she would suck on a damp washcloth? It won't get as much water into her but might be less scary to her than a proper drink???
    Sorry don't have more advice for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

(Assuming there's no bad fever or rash or any of those sort of nasty things).

Thanks
    Reviews

How is your DD today?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went through this 2 weeks ago and my 1 yr old refused all luquids so we ended up at hospital.

To get him to drink we ended up having to squirt the gastrolite into his mouth with a syringe.. As in your panadol or nurofen syringe. He had to have 15mls every 15 min or they would have kept him overnight.
    It wasn't fun to administer but better then staying in hospital any longer.

If bubs doesn't want gastrolite you can also give diluted lemonade, 1 part lemonade to 3 parts water.

Good luck, we all had gastro it was horrid so know how u feel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our whole family just went through this a month ago. We couldn't get DD to drink at all but we had success with the hydrolite iceblocks, I think because it was a bit of a novelty to her.

Hope your DD is feeling better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: toddler with gastro

thanks everyone!!! sorry I hadn't had a chance to respond... in the end DD started going down hill really fast so we went with our instincts and went straight to the hospital.

she was vomiting every 20 minutes for 9 hours but we are finally now at home and while DD is completely exhausted (as are mum and dad!) she is finally keeping down fluids and is currently sound asleep in own bed.

thank you all for your help... it can be so scary to see your kids like that.

after a bunch of tests (they originally thought it may have been a UTI) but it turned out that it was a severe case of gastro.

thank you all again... we didn't know what to do so I'm glad I can home here for some guidance

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Glad she's ok

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow I can't believe it ended up going on so long, the poor little thing. I'm glad to hear she's on the mend.