+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default *spin off* Other people's children and Facebook photos

I was reading through the other thread about Facebook photo etiquette and it reminded me of something that I saw a few months ago.

My Aunt who doesn't have any children came from interstate to visit us. During her holiday she took heaps of photos, especially of my nieces and nephews. The Mum of said children is not on Facebook, therefore there are no pictures of her kids on Facebook. When my Aunt got home she uploaded all their pictures onto FB.

A few weeks later I logged in and saw that she had changed her profile picture to a photo of my four year old niece. It's not a picture of both of them together, just the niece on her own. I thought this was really weird for many reasons. 1. I think the only people entitled to have kids in their profile are the child's parents. 2. A profile picture is supposed to identify you so why would you have someone else's child as your profile pic. 3. My Aunt is not very tech literate and therefore doesn't have any security enabled, so anyone can now see this picture and what's more if you search for her the pic comes up as the first hit.

Does anyone else find this weird? I was offended on behalf of their Mum but didn't say anything because she's not on FB so doesn't know and I don't want to start any drama. Would you be annoyed if it was your child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Photography is a hobby of mine and I often take a camera to events but I never publish photos on my wall of other children without parental permission.

I would be surprised to see a photo of one of my kids as a relatives profile pic, but not annoyed - I'd probably feel flattered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Nope - I've never had a face book account but all my SIL,s and sister have photos of my DS on their pages , i think it's nice they want to put pics on there of him, it sounds like your aunty is just proud/loves your nieces and nephews

I personally don't understand why people have a problem with it, especially if it's done with love/pride - would your sister really care her aunt is showing off her kids and what harm does it actually cause?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get a bit peeve when other people post pictures of my kids on their wall without asking. Hell, I cracked it at DP because he had aded a few people jsut randomly onto his FB account and I asked him if he could just hide the photos of the kids so people he didnt know couldnt see them (whole different thread that lead too lol)

I find it very rude not to ask people first, not flattering at all. Its a privacy thing. I had my EX MIL take photos from my FB of her other grandchildren without asking and posted them on her non private account. Then I had the mother attack me because I 'gave' them to her. So I turned around to EX MIL and told her she has to take them down because her daughter didnt want her to have them up. I also asked her to take my kids photos off her wall as well. Mainly because I dont like her, but again, she just adds random people she doesnt know and I dont want the risk of some weirdo getting my kids pics.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think that's really lovely, personally.

I don't freak out about my kids photos being on facebook, especially those type of photos.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *spin off* Other people's children and Facebook photos

My niece is the light of my world, and we all upload bulk photos of family events etc that include photos of her! Her parents are on fb and they share / tag photos of her to us and I tag them in all my photos that include her! I am so proud of my niece and my sister took an absolutely stunning picture of her to which a few of us all had as our profile or cover pic at one stage! She is the first baby in the family for 19 years and 16 years on her dads side so she means the world to everyone! I do not have one single person that I do not know on my fb, nor does my sister, nor does our mum and we would never intentionally put her in harms way but we are so smitten and proud of her that we all constantly show her off and write funny status's about her! She has brought two families very close and my sister is personally so proud that her family has so much love for her daughter, she is flattered!

Sent from my ST25a using BubHub