+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Worried about DD (gender disappointment)

So DD (4 in six weeks) has her heart set of having a little sister. I didn't find out what the gender of this baby is and am not going to but there is a 50% chance that she will be disappointed and get a brother.... Is there anything I can do to try and ease her being so set on a girl?? I have tried to tell her it might be a little brother but she just won't take it..
    Help....

Thanks
    Reviews

Personally I wouldn't stress about it to much. When my younger brother was born I wanted a sister (already had a brother) and when I was told that I had another brother I bawled my eyes out and told my dad to trade him, but once I saw him I was pretty much over it. No harm in trying to make her understand that it could be a little boy but don't stress if she won't agree.

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews

She will be fine I'm sure xxxxx just make sure she is involved with the care of the baby xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

She will forget about a little sister as soon as she sees a cute little baby. Also I really believe babys are somewhat gender neutral until their personalities come out.
    My DS has 2 big sisters and he loves playing dolls and pushing the prams as much as trains and trucks.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD nearly 5 has her heart set on a little sister, I said to her "what if we have a little boy/brother" she groaned and said "I'll still love it"... We found out the we are having a girl, so she is over the moon, but I really think she wouldn't have really been put out that much if it was a boy! It'd still be a new play mate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS was set on a baby brother (he was 6)...and when we found out DD, was DD...he was quite upset for a while.

We found out at our 20 week scan (well, it was written on a slip and put in an envelope and DS got to announce it to us)...so he had some time before she was born.

He struggled for a while but we gave him space and time...allowed him to be sad. I got him involved and he picked out some toys for her and some clothes. Listened when he was frustrated at everyone else being so happy when he wasn't (gave him some replies to say....just polite non committal etc when people asked repeatedly "aren't you excited about having a sister?").

By the time she was born he was over it...and when he held her the first time...it was love

Just accept what ever he feels and make the time to make him feel special...it will be OK

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember wanting a little sister when my mum was pregnant with my brother. I was about the same age and I was so looking forward to having another sister. But I have no recollection of being disappointed that it was a boy. The novelty of a new baby will surely outweigh any negative feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Worried about DD (gender disappointment)

When we told ds 5 he was going to be a big brother all he wanted was a little sister. We spoke to him that we don't get to choose and he could get a little brother he wouldn't here it. We found out that we were having another boy at the 20 wk scan and for awhile he was cranky but we got him involved asking what names he liked, picking clothes etc and he has now gotten over it and is very excited now telling everyone that he is getting a little brother.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry. She's only very young herself, and even if she gets a bit huffy if she ends up with a brother, I doubt it will be seriously traumatic or something she needs help coping with.

Thanks
    Reviews

My brother is the oldest, and he was just a bit younger then 4 when mum and dad told him they were having another baby. He wanted a brother. I don't think he actually thought of the baby being a baby, but more another child to play with - so wanted a boy to play with trucks and get dirty with etc.
    When I was born a girl and not the brother he wanted, he got over it rather quickly. Apparently he wouldn't leave my side and used to sneak into our parents room to sleep next to my bassinet. He always protected me and looked after me, throughout childhood and now adulthood. We were always close and it was just us 2. A lot of children think they care what gender their siblings will be, but once there's a new baby to look at and eventually play with they forget all about it.

Maybe try asking why she wants a sister in particular? That way if its so they can play dolls together (or whatever the answer may be) explain that boys can play with them too?
    Last edited by us3; 25-11-2012 at 11:23.