+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overseas travel

Has anyone gone overseas with a 3 month old? How hard is it? Would you do it again or avoid it at all costs? What tips can you give?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Overseas travel

Not done it but know people who have with no issues (to the UK). The littler they are the easier!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Overseas travel

I went to Ireland with a 2 month old and a 2 year old. Two month old was way easier than the 2 year old!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to the UK with a 3 month old. The flight and travel were pretty easy as he just eat and slept. The jet lag was rough for a few days, but we all had it. He did also pick up his first cold on the way to the UK. There is NO way I would do it now he is 13 months old.

I would request a bassinet for bubs to sleep in on the plane if it is a long journey, or take a pillow for them to lay on, on your lap. Pre book any travel to and from the airports too. You should also be able to take your pram through security and drop it off at the gate, or use a baby carrier. Feed bubs as you take off to help with ear pain too.

Just be prepared with clothes, nappies, bottles etc and you should be fine.

We stayed in a couple of hotels whilst there and booked family rooms with a porta cot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overseas travel

We spent a week in London when DS was 3mths- tell you what he is 20mths now, and I'm sure it would be a whole lot harder!

Just some things to keep in mind, be prepared for take off landing, give them something to suck dummy/boob what ever to stop their ears getting blocked. My older one gets really sore ears so I take some saline (fess) and spray their noses during the flight, seems to help.

If your formula feeding you can take everything you need with you.

Ask for a bassinet for on the when you buy you tickets, but get there early on the day, as most airlines these days have a first come first serve policy. Ask the flight attendants for help if you need it, they're usually great with whatever you need.

Let your hotel know before hand to have a porter cot ready, even if bub dose not sleep in you have somewhere to put them down while showering or what ever.

We took our pram everywhere, as DS loved it.

It really can be easier when they are little!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD had been to Bali twice and Hong Kong once by the time she was six months. So easy to travel at that age, they cant move around and still sleep alot, they're not putting things in their mouth that the 'find' and are easy to carry.

Depending on where you go - a good pram is a must that they can sleep in but still folds up small for taxis etc. Depending on how long you are going for, if you need formula and nappies take them, you won't be bringing them home so more room for shopping. Depending how long you are in one place for - if you can't see into the hotel kettle, buy yourself a cheapie new one for steralising water, get milton tablets for steralising bottles, buy a cheap bucket when you get where you are going and use it for soaking clothes, and make use of cheap laundry services - it can sometimes work out to be not worth the hassle doing it yourself.

I would to it again and again, just remember that it's not about you anymore, you still have a newbie so holidays are never the same (biiiigggg reality check for me!).

Do it as much as you can until you have to start paying for their seat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm only 8 weeks at the moment, so it's all a long way down the line, but DH's family lives over in the US and he was just saying the other day about how he'd like to go and see them again soon. I was thinking that it would be a great chance for them to meet their new grandchild, and my parents are talking about going over in October next year, so I thought we could all go together...

I just thought that I might get a bit more info about what it's like, before approaching DH about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overseas travel

I went to the us with a 3 month old and it was easy peasy!
    Things that made it easier was that I was fully BFing so no need to worry about bottles etc. also a good baby carrier for getting around the airports and on and off buses/ subway etc when sightseeing. We took a stroller but mostly carrier baby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Overseas travel

We have just been on our honeymoon with a three month old...yes our honeymoon haha! We went to mauritius and it was fine. We fed her on takeoff and landing and were fortunate enough to have a bassinet seat which was a lifesaver.

Once we were there she was fine. The kitchen at the hotel sterilised our bottles at breakfast and dinner. Taxis were fine as you dont need a car seat. The hardest part was the time difference. If you can, slowly put your babys sleep times back or forward (depending on where youre going) so they adjust easier. We were there for a week so we didnt even try to change her routine. We put her down at 330pm (the equivelent of her 730pm bedtime) and got up at 5am and went for a walk.

Like others have said its easier when theyre younger!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (06-11-2012)

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overseas travel

I'm currently o/s on my honeymoon with a 4 month old - she was just over 3 months when we left.

it's actually easier than I thought it would be, the only issue I had was breastfeeding at Dubai airport. we started dd on formula 2 weeks before leaving incase we had issues bf - we are now comp feeding.

dd adjusted to the new time zones really well, cried only twice on the 5 flights we were on over 28 hours. our flight was also a night one. she slept on all the flights - altitude makes them sleepy.

take a lot of clothes for your little one the flights, we had a lot of poo explosions (suspect it was the change in my diet) and take a few spare tees for you incase you get covered in puke.
    Invest in a baby carrier - a full buckle soft structured carrier is easier for getting bubs in and out when needed. ours has been our saviour as it let out daughter sleep whilst we were out and about. and I feel has helped keep her calm in new environments as she was so close to myself or my hubby.

she slept through take off and landing and we had a basinette.