+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Limited toddler diets

We have been only giving our 18 month old DS food that he would definately eat at dinner, but have recently decided that at 18 months he's old enough to eat what we eat (within reason), except now we are going back to night feeds because he is not eating much of the different food (different being anything that's not potato) and going to bed hungry.

Does it matter if at this age if he eats a limited fruit, bread, potato, chicken, spagetti diet? Will his food preference broaden with time or should we stick to offering different meals?

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's fine as long as he's gettin some good food like fruit, dairy and fibre. My 2.5 is so fussy but as he's been getting older he is starting to try more. Now he eats carrot sticks and cucumber and the odd capsicum stick. Before then I was giving him the pouches of purred veggies you can get from Coles or Aldi. He loved them. It's hard with toddlers but I used to get so stressed out and then he got stressed and it would just turn into a fight. You're little one will be okay and just keep giving them fruit and the food stuff they like good luck! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

* good stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. 21 mo DS is a bit of a fussy eater and has 3 or 4 dinner meals he will eat, and won't try anything else. I tried persisting with offering different meals, but he would go to bed hungry and grumpy and wake up early. I've gone back to offering what I know he will eat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Limited toddler diets

Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    Subbing. 21 mo DS is a bit of a fussy eater and has 3 or 4 dinner meals he will eat, and won't try anything else. I tried persisting with offering different meals, but he would go to bed hungry and grumpy and wake up early. I've gone back to offering what I know he will eat.
    my DD is the same

Life; it's what happens when you're making other plans

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My son is 19 months and has started to become quite fussy, I hide purée veggies and meat in his dinner meals. He eats a lot in terms of amount, but its pretty much the same thing everyday. He would live on yoghurt and banana if I let him. I offer new foods sometimes he will try them other times he won't put them near his mouth and will gag at the sight of them. I give him what I know he will eat and a little bit of something new next to or with it, I've found if the sight of it becomes familiar he is more likely to try it, I am a very fussy eater so never force any foods on him I figure he will try it when he's ready and if he genuinely doesn't like it then I won't offer it again. He has a healthy diet and we were told by the dietician as long as he is having a decent variety of fruit/vege/meat and grains everyday then he is fine eating the same ones day in and day out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Our DS was much more adventurous with what he would eat when he was younger. He was eating what we ate a lot of the time.

Now at 21 months we mostly give him a salad (small pieces) with a meat (he'll eat beef, chicken, fish, sausages, bacon, pretty much any meat) for dinner as we know he will eat it.

I hope he gets a bit more willing to try new foods as he gets older, we just have to keep offering them from time to time. It is frustrating when something is really yummy and he wont even try it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started dd (15months) on family foods from the get go. She eats mostly everything, but not too much chilli spicy stuff. A little is ok, and spicy stuff like tacos, garlicky Italian herb stuff is fine, Asian spices etc all ok.

We are really lucky with her.

If kids don't eat veges, dont fuss too much. Vitamins come from fruits too.

Sausages and hamburgers do provide iron and protein.

You choose what foods to feed your child, they choose what parts of the meal they eat and how much.

Keep offering a good variety. Don't stress too much over it. Just keep juice, cordial, chips etc to a minimum (once a week or so)

Dont ever force feed. Never do the just one more spoonful thing...

Also mchn told me at our 12 month check 1-2 bottles of milk was enough per day. Toddlers can fill up on milk and then won't want to eat.

I highly recommend starting solids from the family dinner table. A bit of potato or pumpkin to start. The lamb cutlet bone as a teether and introduction to meat (if u eat meat). Just build it up when babe is ready and showing interest. Feeding from table makes things super easy most of the time. Only downside: dd REFUSES to eat packaged baby foods. For food on the run I take a small can of baked beans. It's about the only processed food she will eat.