+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am i being unreasonable?

Right so my normal hours now at work are 5am - 1pm. We've just implemented a new system that now means i wouldnt need to start quiet so early. Boss sent me through new hours saying i would start at 6.00am - 2.45pm. Now i currently get paid 7.6 hours with an unpaid half hour lunch break... i am salary based so would not get paid for the extra 45 minutes hes added on per day. I also do not leave early etc enough to justify having 9 hours per month time in lieu so that is not an option. I have replied stating i would work the 6.00am - 2pm, would you do the same and stick to your guns. I know its only 45 minutes per day, but per month ( which is what i get paid) its an extra 9 hours im not getting paid for...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely I would do the same. I am tired of employers trying to take advantage of employees. 45 minutes per day adds up to a lot like you said.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shell P For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (06-11-2012),Mum2EandR  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not being unreasonable. I tell my mother all the time "if you will work for free they will never pay you just out of the goodness of their hearts". Stick to your guns (but don't end up with no hours, yikes!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep thats exactly what i said to my husband. Im happy to work overtime but if im not paid for it im not there a minute longer than i need to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not unreasonable at all. I worked for car dealership and the hours were 7.30 to 6pm.. I certainly wasn't getting paid for some of those hours. When i calculated it at the end of the month, it was nearly a weeks worth of wages I was missing out on. Stuff that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'd do the same for sure. DH works a lot of hours he doesn't get paid for BUT they send us away for a weekend all expenses paid every now and then or have a tab for us to go out to our fav restaurant.

But if there was no perks he wouldn't do all the extra hours!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Check your contract. Your salary is paid based on the hours you have committed to work. If he wants to change those hours he has to change your salary.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im going to look at my contract tonight to make sure but i do not remember anything about overtime. Im salart based (i just do admin) and when i say unpaid for half hour its just what i realised after looking on my pay slip... we are at work 8 hours a day but only get paid 7.6...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep definitely stick to your guns, your salary should be recalculated and a new contract issued if you're going to be working an extra 45 minutes each day!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaBailey View Post
    Im going to look at my contract tonight to make sure but i do not remember anything about overtime. Im salart based (i just do admin) and when i say unpaid for half hour its just what i realised after looking on my pay slip... we are at work 8 hours a day but only get paid 7.6...
    7.6 is standard- adds up to a 38 hr week. Usually with salaried staff, it is expected you will do some unpaid ot from time to time. Your salary package is supposed to make up for that. However, 45 mins a day isn't an occasional, ad hoc thing, it's daily. Refusing is not at all unreasonable!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (06-11-2012)